ECF Counties Rapidplay Championship - 18th September 2010

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Sedgwick

ECF Counties Rapidplay Championship - 18th September 2010

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:27 am

The ECF Counties Rapidplay Championship 2010-11, organised for the ECF by the SCCU, will be held on Saturday 18th September 2010 at Wanstead House, the normal venue for Essex home matches.

A County may enter one or more teams of 12 players. The event will incorporate a Handicap Competition, based on the difference between actual and expected scores. The same team cannot win both competitions. The winning team will be awarded the ECF Counties Rapidplay Trophy.

Further information is given on the attached Entry Form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

John Upham

Re: ECF Counties Rapidplay Championship - 18th September 201

Post by John Upham » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 am

Could someone who plays for Berkshire play in this event?

Perhaps RDdC could answer this question?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:48 am

John Upham wrote:Could someone who plays for Berkshire play in this event?

I'm not Roger, but I think I can answer.

Berkshire are most welcome to enter a team.

The Counties Rapidplay Championship is an ECF event being organised by the SCCU, not an SCCU event. Although Berkshire are not affiliated to the SCCU, they are affiliated to the ECF. So they're eligible to play.

The same applies to Oxfordshire.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Hoorah! It isn't a Jamboree!

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Hoorah! It isn't a Jamboree!
That's because it is rapidplay.
Jamborees were created so that you could have a 1 day (long play) team tournament. And I use them when there are a limited number of rounds (normally 1 or 2).

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Essex is probably a bit far for Somerset or Devon to travel, though you could certainly send it to the relevant captains. I might be available to play for Lincolnshire if they put a team in, and thus become the answer to the quiz question "who played for Lincolnshire on the Saturday and Somerset on the Sunday?".

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Neill Cooper wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:Hoorah! It isn't a Jamboree!
That's because it is rapidplay.
Jamborees were created so that you could have a 1 day (long play) team tournament. And I use them when there are a limited number of rounds (normally 1 or 2).
The Birmingham Junior League has a lot of Jamborees; even when it's blitz, let alone rapidplay! So I guess I'm just used to everything being a Jamboree...

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:48 pm

It would be great to have a few more teams in it this year! The organisers have arranged it so that it starts at a time suitable for those travelling on the day, and it finishes at 7pm.

Who is your county organiser? Lobby them now!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:58 pm

John Upham wrote:Could someone who plays for Berkshire play in this event?
Roger plays for Buckinghamshire.

I'll ask the usual suspects in Oxfordshire to see if I can get a team together.

Ljubica Lazarevic

Post by Ljubica Lazarevic » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:03 pm

I haven't played county chess in almost a decade. If Essex needs a spare player, I'd be keen to represent them in the rapidplay... I have no idea who is the chief honcho for Essex though ;).

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Ljubica Lazarevic wrote:I haven't played county chess in almost a decade. If Essex needs a spare player, I'd be keen to represent them in the rapidplay... I have no idea who is the chief honcho for Essex though ;).
Ljubica.
The SCCU website lists match captains for SCCU county teams - see http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/fixt.htm
You do best contacting the Open captain:
"Essex *Position vacant. Contact Ivor BN Smith, 163 Lodge Road, Writtle, Essex CM1 3JB ibnsmith(at)btopenworld(dot)com 01245 421193"

It is great to see players offering to play for counties for whom they are eligible but not played for before.
Remember you can play for the county where you were born, where you live now or anywhere where you have lived for 5+ years. For me that would be Hants, Berks and Surrey.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:02 am

Neill Cooper wrote:
Ljubica Lazarevic wrote:I haven't played county chess in almost a decade. If Essex needs a spare player, I'd be keen to represent them in the rapidplay... I have no idea who is the chief honcho for Essex though ;).
Ljubica.
The SCCU website lists match captains for SCCU county teams - see http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/fixt.htm
You do best contacting the Open captain:
"Essex *Position vacant. Contact Ivor BN Smith, 163 Lodge Road, Writtle, Essex CM1 3JB ibnsmith(at)btopenworld(dot)com 01245 421193"

It is great to see players offering to play for counties for whom they are eligible but not played for before.
Remember you can play for the county where you were born, where you live now or anywhere where you have lived for 5+ years. For me that would be Hants, Berks and Surrey.
Essex have said that they are planning to enter two teams: an Open Team to be organised by Ivor Smith and a team targeting the handicap competition. The latter will be organised by "Malcom Crane - malcolmcrane(at)googlemail(dot)com".
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:07 am

Thank you to everyone who has expressed an interest. I look forward to seeing you all on 18th September.

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:01 am

What sort of grade would the bottom boards in the this competition be? I have a couple of juniors with grades < 100 (children of chess playing fathers or siblings of stronger players) but I wouldn't want to drag them to the other side of London if they're going to get beaten up by 130+ players in all four rounds. Are the details of previous tournaments available online anywhere?

John Philpott

Post by John Philpott » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:01 am

Jon D'Souza-Eve wrote
What sort of grade would the bottom boards in the this competition be? I have a couple of juniors with grades < 100 (children of chess playing fathers or siblings of stronger players) but I wouldn't want to drag them to the other side of London if they're going to get beaten up by 130+ players in all four rounds. Are the details of previous tournaments available online anywhere?
It is very difficult to answer this question in advance of knowing the entries. The Essex second team is being organised by our Under 100 captain and it is therefore likely, but of course not absolutely certain, that there will be some <100 representation in this team at least.

I do not think that there is much information to be found on line in respect of previous manifestations of this event, whose history has been fairly patchy in recent years. What I can do is see what information I can turn up about bottom board grades from the four events for which I organised the Essex team.