British Championship...2011

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Alex Holowczak

Re: British Championship...2011

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed May 19, 2010 10:59 am

Switching the focus slightly:

Will the 2011 Championship be the first to offer online entry? I.e. you fill the form online in via the ECF website and then submit it, for the person collecting the entry to be able to read the entry in a csv file (for example)? You can then use the ECF Shop as a means of paying the entry fee. It'd speed up the whole process of entering.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 pm

The Yorkshire South website does a pretty good job of selling Sheffield and the surrounding areas;

http://www.yorkshiresouth.com/

though I do appreciate the comments made about the time being taken off for what is, for many, their summer holiday.

I hope that we will have online booking in place for 2011, as it is quite easy to implement.
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Wed May 19, 2010 1:40 pm

Adam Raoof wrote: I hope that we will have online booking in place for 2011, as it is quite easy to implement.
It certainly is. Any muppet can do it... :D

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Sat May 29, 2010 7:40 pm

Absolutely devastated that Sheffield has been chosen. A grotty city is not somewhere I want to spend two weeks of my Summer - we always want to combine our British Championship with our Summer British holiday.

I pointed this out in the questionnaire at Torquay last year but I guess it fell on deaf ears.

A very disappointing decision.
I must agree completely with what Andrew Camp wrote above. I would have much rather returned to Torquay, or maybe have gone to Aberystwyth or somewhere like that. For us the British Championships are a family holiday. My wife doesn't play chess, but is happy to walk round a nice seaside resort such as Torquay while my lads are playing. How can I expect her to spend 2 weeks walking around Sheffield. I am really looking forward to the British Championships this year, but next year we will give them a miss and maybe go abroad for our holidays. I hope that the Championships are a success but I doubt that that will be the case.

P.S.
If the ECF is struggling to pay for venues maybe they could reduce costs by cutting back on how much they pay titled players to enter. I know that is a different debate but I always thought higher prize money is a better incentive for people to enter.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat May 29, 2010 8:35 pm

All efforts to raise sponsorship to attract the top players has failed (so far - but this isn't likely to change). So it isn't a case of offering 'incentives' or increased prize fund.

Experience however has shown that most titled players prefer a bird in the hand to two in the bush. You will get a better field if the money is used to cover players' costs rather than increasing the prizefund by the same amount. This view has certainly been expressed by many players over the years.

It is great to see that despite the financial restraints Michael Adams has entered.

PaulTalbot

Post by PaulTalbot » Sat May 29, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry I added that PS about paying titled players because it is really a different subject and I would really like to stick to the subject of the place where the championships are held.

My point is that there must be quite a number of people who come to the championships as part of a family holiday, as me and my family have done for the last 5 years, which is why the championships should take place in a 'holiday destination', so that those members of the family who aren't interested in chess can still have an enjoyable time. How can I take my wife to Sheffield for 2 weeks and expect her to feel like she's had a holiday? That is why we won't be attending next year, and that is why I really hope that the ECF will be able to come up with a much better destination for 2012; somewhere that takes into consideration the non chess playing members of the family who would like to feel that they've been on holiday.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sat May 29, 2010 11:33 pm

I understand the desire for a holiday venue as does David Welch.

Unfortunately it is getting exceedingly difficult to find any venue. David and I inherited Sheffield as a venue (and I repeat that it is a good venue and there is actually quite a bit to do and see in the area). We have been trying to find a venue in a number of 'resorts' but the financial situation within many local authorities is making this more and more difficult. We had two quite strong possibilities which in the last few months have both become much less likely.

Many of the venues used in the past are now looking for too much money for us to return without a major sponsor and again the financial climate makes this less likely too.

I don't want to sound too depressing but as things stand finding any venue is a major achievement regardless of its location or perceived disadvantages.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun May 30, 2010 12:03 am

I really don't understand these complaints about the 2011 venue.

The organisers are perfectly aware that if possible, a seaside location was desirable. I'm sure if one could be found, they'd hold it there. Clearly they couldn't find one.

I hold little sympathy here. I doubt the organisers had any volunteers come forward with suitable seaside locations for them to choose from.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun May 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Perhaps there can be a trophy (but no prize money) awarded to the highest-placed player in the British Championship who:
a) Pays the full entry fee and
b) Receives no conditions for his appearance.

The player can win the title of "British Amateur Champion".

Perhaps this would appease the players who grumble about GMs getting conditions, and add something additional for the players to play for who can't win the full title. Given the leading "amateur" is likely to be tied with a lot of other players, sum of progressive scores (or similar) can be used to decide the title. I think FMs, IMs and GMs would be unable to win the prize because they get entry fee discounts, but I might be wrong. Alternatively, they might opt to pay the full entry fee to have the chance of winning the amateur trophy.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun May 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Hmmm, pay a three-digit sum to enter an event I could have entered for free, just in order to have a chance of getting my name on a cup.

"It's tempting, but I think we'll waive that clause just this once."

Phil Makepeace

Post by Phil Makepeace » Sun May 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Perhaps there can be a trophy (but no prize money) awarded to the highest-placed player in the British Championship who:

Why no prize money? My understanding of amateurism encompasses the lack of conditions.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Sun May 30, 2010 7:24 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:Perhaps there can be a trophy (but no prize money) awarded to the highest-placed player in the British Championship who:

Perhaps this would appease the players who grumble about GMs getting conditions, and add something additional for the players to play for who can't win the full title. Given the leading "amateur" is likely to be tied with a lot of other players, sum of progressive scores (or similar) can be used to decide the title. I think FMs, IMs and GMs would be unable to win the prize because they get entry fee discounts, but I might be wrong. Alternatively, they might opt to pay the full entry fee to have the chance of winning the amateur trophy.
So anyone who pays £300-400 on accommodation plus £200-300 on food and drink would be ineligible for a cash prize unless they paid the full entry fee which would also rule out any juniors receiving discounts as well as any players who receive a discount through qualifying. I'm guessing that won't leave many players who are eligible.

Some tournaments abroad give free entry to titled players but then deduct the entry fee from any prize they win. This can take a bit of getting used to; I once collected a prize only to find out it was an empty envelope but it seems a more reasonable way of doing things. You attract the titled players by offering free entry which help with title norms but then claim something back when the titled players are successsful.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun May 30, 2010 9:06 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Hmmm, pay a three-digit sum to enter an event I could have entered for free, just in order to have a chance of getting my name on a cup.

"It's tempting, but I think we'll waive that clause just this once."
Well, the point is that it wouldn't really be designed for players such as yourself.
Phil Makepeace wrote:Why no prize money? My understanding of amateurism encompasses the lack of conditions.
If an amateur wins a golf tournament, they get no prize money. I also thought the ECF couldn't afford yet more prize money, but you could have prize money. That's not really the key bit of the idea; the idea is that to distinguish the players who get in for free from the players who are there to help with norm possibilities and win the overall title and big prize money.
LozCooper wrote: So anyone who pays £300-400 on accommodation plus £200-300 on food and drink would be ineligible for a cash prize unless they paid the full entry fee which would also rule out any juniors receiving discounts as well as any players who receive a discount through qualifying. I'm guessing that won't leave many players who are eligible.
I didn't realise that players could receive such discounts at qualifying events. They get prize money + a British Championship discount? I'd have thought you'd get one or the other... In light of this new information, I'd be more inclined to agree with Phil that such a proposal would probably be for anyone who didn't receive conditions.

The other problem is that some people who receive conditions might not want to broadcast it to the world, and this would make them stand out a bit.

Consider this idea shelved. :)

Richard Cowan

Post by Richard Cowan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:25 am

PaulTalbot wrote: If the ECF is struggling to pay for venues maybe they could reduce costs by cutting back on how much they pay titled players to enter. I know that is a different debate but I always thought higher prize money is a better incentive for people to enter.
As Alex has said, this is wishful thinking! I would love for the prizes to be that high - but in terms of value for money, conditions are the best way of attracting titled players IMO.
Alex McFarlane wrote:It is great to see that despite the financial restraints Michael Adams has entered. It is great to see that despite the financial restraints Michael Adams has entered.
Well, that depends on your point of view... Apparently he's been given all the money for conditions this year. i.e. no other GM's let alone IM's will get anything.
If you were one of those people, perhaps supporting the tournament for years, I'm guessing you wouldn't be too happy?
(Although, of course it could be a deft plan by the ECF if it attracts sponsership for subsequent Britishes...)

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:21 am

Apparently he's been given all the money for conditions this year.
I only wish that we had money for conditions this year!!

Richard, your statement implies (whether you meant it to or not) that Micky Adams was given something akin to the £5000 that was available last year, to the deprivation of others. I can assure you that this is not the case. Last year £500 was available to the first 10 English GMs to enter. No such money was available this year and I can assure everyone that no-one received as much as even that minimal figure this year.

Hopefully, his participation will help increase sponsorship opportunities for the future. Various ECF officials are trying all they can to attract sponsorship. In the currrent climate that is particularly difficult to achieve.

Remember sponsorship doesn't have to be for a huge amount. If the company you work for is willing to spend a few hundred pounds it could sponsor one of the other events, an age championship or a rapidplay for example. Every little helps.