Brentwood Chess Congress

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Gavin Strachan

Brentwood Chess Congress

Post by Gavin Strachan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:21 pm

I have had a lot of people enquiring about 2008 and just to let you know I am hoping to go ahead but am having difficultly getting a venue as the hall we used before was very expensive (twice what I have heard other congresses pay). Brentwood has several venues but they do not cater for 200+ people and so the local council, although very nice, can't really help. I will update in a couple of weeks with a yeah or ney on it going ahead but I am running out of venues and it may have to go on tour around South Essex/Outer London!!

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:46 pm

It was a very good congress last year and I know of at least two people who will definitely return if it goes ahead - myself included.

Good Luck Gavin.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Kevin Sawers

Post by Kevin Sawers » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:48 pm

Gavin, count me in if you can get a venue and I'm not already busy on the relevant weekend. I have fond memories seeing as I won a wee prize!

Gavin Strachan

2nd Brentwood Chess Congress 2008

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:17 pm

The 2nd Brentwood Chess Congress is going ahead after securing a reduction in the hiring of the venue. It is on 16th-17th February 2008 at the Brentwood School Sports Hall, Middleton Hall Lane, Brentwood, Essex. CM15 8EE.

The 1st Prizes will be: OPEN: £1000; MAJOR:£400; MINOR: £400. There will be prizes for 2nd/3rd places, grading and junior prizes.

The website will have a new address: http://www.bichesscongress.co.uk which will go live by the end of next week (I still own the .com site but have been to busy to transfer it!). You will be able to download an entry form from here.

If you need any help with accomodation or anyother enquiries feel free to email me at [email protected].

Thanks for all the support it has been much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Gavin Strachan

Kevin Sawers

Post by Kevin Sawers » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:30 pm

Excellent news, I have pencilled it in!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:24 pm

bi chess congress?

Do you have to be bi to play?!!!

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:29 pm

If we were sponsored by Bic then I always thought that would be interesting play on words. Close shave, etc puns not allowed. I always have an inclusive view on chess.

Gavin Strachan

Re: Brentwood Chess Congress

Post by Gavin Strachan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Only one week to go, get your entries in quick! Two GM's and an IM already feature in the Open. Particularly need more juniors for the junior tournaments (two one day tournaments).

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:34 am

A few days to go...

GM Jonathon Rowson, GM Daniel Gormally, GM Matthew Turner and GM Neil McDonald all feature in the Open.

Still could do with more juniors, especially U14!!

Regards

Gavin Strachan

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Hi hope to update the website asap with all games and results but just to quickly announce that the 2nd Brentwood International Chess Congress Masters Open was won jointly by GM Jonathon Rowson and IM Odion Aikhoje in a field that had 3 GM's (same as last year) and 5 IM's. Well done also to Ali Kikoyo who came 1st in the Major and Radha Jain and Adrian Riley who were joint leaders in the Minor. We had 197 entrants which was a cracking achievement especially as their were lots of SCCU county games on the Saturday which meant a lot of people couldn't take part who might have.

See you next year and thanks for the support,

Kind Regards

Gavin Strachan