Page 1 of 1

West of England Congress

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:34 pm
by Ronnie Burton
Bristol & District Chess League
founded in 1907
Congress
Fri 26
th to Sun 28th April 2024
www.bristolcongress.co.uk
The Great Hall, Bristol Grammar School (BGS)
University Road, Bristol BS8 1SR

Bristol Open Centenary
Congress
& WECU Championship
Fri 26th to Sun 28th April 2024
www.bristolcongress.co.uk
The Great Hall, Bristol Grammar School (BGS)
University Road, Bristol BS8 1SR
Entry fees
Open FIDE £38
Boniface U1900 £32
Foundation U1600 £26
Contact: Igor Doklestic
[email protected];
07817 604014

Re: West of England Congress

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:57 pm
by Ian Thompson
Ronnie Burton wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:34 pm
Bristol Open Centenary Congress & WECU Championship
Fri 26th to Sun 28th April 2024
It's disappointing to read that the WECU Championship is now just a 5 rounds weekend swiss incorporated in a larger event. When I first played in it, it was 7 rounds over 5 days, restricted to players eligible to win the championship.

Re: West of England Congress

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:21 pm
by Ronnie Burton
Hi Ian

Not sure you are correct with your comments. I've played many times over the last 30 years and from memory it was two games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and one game on the Monday. 4 days tournament not five

Re: West of England Congress

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:43 pm
by Ian Thompson
Ronnie Burton wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:21 pm
Not sure you are correct with your comments. I've played many times over the last 30 years and from memory it was two games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and one game on the Monday. 4 days tournament not five
I'm going back 40 years. In 1981 it was 5 days from Thursday to Monday, with 2 games on Thursday and Saturday. My records show it was played over 5 days on all 4 occasions I played in the 1980s. By 1995 it had changed to 4 days from Friday to Monday. Maybe the change of schedule coincided with it changing from a closed event, for WECU players only, to an open event, which happened sometime in the 1990s and by 1995 at the latest.

I've a vague recollection that that schedule may only have applied to the Championship section and the other sections were played over 4 days, starting on the Friday.

Re: West of England Congress

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:00 pm
by Ronnie Burton
I'm glad its back on again. For many years the venue was in Exmouth thanks to Bob Jones.

Re: West of England Congress

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:13 am
by GrahamStuart
Ian Thompson wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:43 pm
Ronnie Burton wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:21 pm
Not sure you are correct with your comments. I've played many times over the last 30 years and from memory it was two games on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and one game on the Monday. 4 days tournament not five
I'm going back 40 years. In 1981 it was 5 days from Thursday to Monday, with 2 games on Thursday and Saturday. My records show it was played over 5 days on all 4 occasions I played in the 1980s. By 1995 it had changed to 4 days from Friday to Monday. Maybe the change of schedule coincided with it changing from a closed event, for WECU players only, to an open event, which happened sometime in the 1990s and by 1995 at the latest.

I've a vague recollection that that schedule may only have applied to the Championship section and the other sections were played over 4 days, starting on the Friday.
In 1981 the tournament was held in Winchester (one of the few times hosted by Hampshire). I wrote an article on this from the crosstables in the Hampshire Chess Archives, and it looks as if you both played (Ian in the Championship and Ronnie in the Challenges, which you won).

https://hampshirechesshistory.co.uk/wec ... ship-1981/

If you have anything you wish to add to the article including games please do let me know.

For that tournament the Championship was over 7 rounds and the Challengers 6, and some of the all-play all tournaments were 5 so I can understand the different recollections.

The Cornwall Chess Website has information on the winners with tables and games from some years, including the two years which Ian won.

https://www.cornwallchess.org.uk/wecu/c ... ions.shtml

Re: West of England Congress

Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:31 am
by IM Jack Rudd
Some good stuff on that Cornwall site. Quite pleased with the game that won me my first WECU title:


Re: West of England Congress

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:23 pm
by Jon Underwood
Unfortunately we can't find anyone who wants to organise a 7 game congress - at the moment.