Wood Green Invitational 2023

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Wood Green Invitational 2023

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:16 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:06 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:25 pm
Without wanting to jinx the result, it look likely that Ameet Ghasi will manage to get 1/2 for a GM norm given his round 8 opponent who is yet to trouble the scorers (I hope his next tournament will be easier for him to show his potential…
Until proven differently I think I will continue to believe that anyone who carelessly uses the phrase “not wanting to [but]…” can only be deliberately encouraging the opposite… ;)

You had a lucky escape!
Very lucky escape!! :lol:

I think Ameet may have waited until Matthew Wadsworth had drawn his game (ending his norm chances) before offering a draw to Freddy, who presumably is OK with accepting draws even if not offering them... Congratulations to Freddy for the draw and to Ameet for the GM norm.

A third norm may not be too difficult to get (you see what I am doing there, the jinxing again!), but how far off the required rating is he? Are there others getting closer to the GM title as well?

EDIT: I see Ameet's peak rating has been 2507 (March 2019), so he meets that bit already.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:19 pm

Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:16 pm
Richard Bates wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:06 pm
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:25 pm
Without wanting to jinx the result, it look likely that Ameet Ghasi will manage to get 1/2 for a GM norm given his round 8 opponent who is yet to trouble the scorers (I hope his next tournament will be easier for him to show his potential…
Until proven differently I think I will continue to believe that anyone who carelessly uses the phrase “not wanting to [but]…” can only be deliberately encouraging the opposite… ;)

You had a lucky escape!
Very lucky escape!! :lol:

I think Ameet may have waited until Matthew Wadsworth had drawn his game (ending his norm chances) before offering a draw to Freddy, who presumably is OK with accepting draws even if not offering them... Congratulations to Freddy for the draw and to Ameet for the GM norm.

A third norm may not be too difficult to get (you see what I am doing there, the jinxing again!), but how far off the required rating is he? Are there others getting closer to the GM title as well?
He has already been over 2500 (and will be again after this event) so that isn't an issue. He is more limited in where he gets his final norm though as he already has two all-play-all norms.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:44 pm

Thanks, Loz, and apologies for updating my post before you posted your reply.

What are the options apart from APA norms? Does he have to get the third norm in an Open Swiss? Can he get it from a performance across a season in something like the 4NCL? I wonder if he is playing in the British? (Off to check.)

EDIT: No, not playing in the British (probably not enough time off work or something similar?). I see that Eldar Gasanov is playing, and Matthew Wadsworth and Jonah Willow and Jack Rudd.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:53 pm

FIDE Title regs 1.5.6
Any title application containing at least one norm achieved after 30/06/2022 must include at least one norm from one of the following:

An individual Swiss tournament with every round containing at least forty participants whose average rating is at least 2000. For this purpose, players will be counted only if they miss at most one round (excluding pairing allocated byes)
The Chess Olympiad
Tournaments organised under the aegis of GSC that establish direct qualifiers to the FIDE Candidates Tournament
Tournaments that establish direct qualifiers to the FIDE World Cup
Individual Tournaments held under the aegis of EVE (Article 1, General Regulations for FIDE Competitions)
Final Stage of the National Individual Championship
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:01 pm

Are there others getting closer to the GM title as well?
James Adair has 3 norms and needs to get to 2500

I'd assume Matthew Wadsworth, Shreyas Royal and Harry Grieve would be the nearest, but they need norms and to get to 2500

Ameet looks like he's playing well enough to get a 3rd and final norm, I hope he manages to do so sooner rather than later
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:05 pm

So 4NCL (and any national team event) norms are also, like the APA norms, not part of that listing, so that (relatively new?) rule has made it much(?) harder to get IM and GM titles? How many of the titles before that date would now be disqualified (because they consisted soley of norms not meeting those requirements), I wonder?

(Thanks, Mick, for that and the other reply.)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:42 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:01 pm
Are there others getting closer to the GM title as well?
James Adair has 3 norms and needs to get to 2500

I'd assume Matthew Wadsworth, Shreyas Royal and Harry Grieve would be the nearest, but they need norms and to get to 2500

Ameet looks like he's playing well enough to get a 3rd and final norm, I hope he manages to do so sooner rather than later
Of those playing actively Ameet & Harry have two norms, whilst Matthew & Shreyas have one.