Paignton: 2022 - 2023

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Tim Spanton

Re: Paignton: 2022 - 2023

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:59 pm

Ken Norman wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 am
I thought this post was about Paignton.

All the posts about Covid should be in a separate section.

Paignton 2023 have two problems. First they have to find a venue and second they need an organiser.

The Riviera Centre is the obvious venue but perhaps the Devon County Chess Association does not have the money.

As to an organiser Keith Arkell is the obvious person to take over as he now lives in Paignton .

Keith has played at Paignton every year for many years and normally wins first prize. It would be good if he were to show his gratitude to the Devon Chess community by taking up the job of organising Paignton.

Many grandmasters organise chess events for example GM Georg Mohr and GM Adrian Mikalchishin have run many events including the World Seniors Championship at Bled.
I am afraid going off-topic is easily done. If only we could all remember the wise words of a poster on the viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12537&start=30 thread: "A minority have not instead participating in digressions that render the thread less readable and less useful as a result. it just seems terribly self indulgent and with a bit of self control easily avoided."

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:15 am

Ken Norman wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:54 am

As to an organiser Keith Arkell is the obvious person to take over as he now lives in Paignton .

Keith has played at Paignton every year for many years and normally wins first prize. It would be good if he were to show his gratitude to the Devon Chess community by taking up the job of organising Paignton.

Many grandmasters organise chess events for example GM Georg Mohr and GM Adrian Mikalchishin have run many events including the World Seniors Championship at Bled.
Ken, it took me 20 years of hard graft and very little pay to earn the title of Grandmaster. However, one of the rewards is that a GM can expect free entry and usually an appearance fee or free accommodation to play in international or FIDE rated tournaments.It may interest you to know that Paignton is literally the only tournament of this kind which I am happy to participate in without an appearance fee and which instead I pay an entry fee to play in.

I now live in Paignton, of course, but for two decades I enjoyed the tournament so much that I was happy to use my first prize to pay for my travel,hotel, subsistence and entry fee, despite being a chess professional. If an accountant did your accounts for free because he enjoyed accounting would you consider that they owed you a debt of gratitude? Think about that for a moment.

Your typical Grandmaster makes a living by writing articles and books, teaching, lecturing, doing simuls, recording videos and courses , receiving fees and prizes at tournaments and receiving fees for matches. That leaves little time for much else, so I imagine, though I don't know for sure, that GMs Mohr and Mikalchishin, and, for example, GM Stuart Conquest at Gibraltar, earn their money less from the activities I listed above and more from the business of organising tournaments.

However, I suspect that organising Paignton is a labour of love, for someone ( perhaps retired) with time on their hands, rather than a business opportunity for a professional chess player looking for a change of direction.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:27 pm

P. S. Of course I can see that Ken's post was meant in a playful way, but its easy to get triggered with the tension mounting here as we hopefully close in on Gold...

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:39 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:27 pm
P. S. Of course I can see that Ken's post was meant in a playful way, but its easy to get triggered with the tension mounting here as we hopefully close in on Gold...
If you make it, go easy on the celebratory herbal teas later..

Did Mickey win by default?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:52 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
Nigel has won which clinches the match and the gold medals :D

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:44 pm

Keith Arkell wrote:
See viewtopic.php?f=47&t=12743&p=283208#p283208 for a supportive post from Ken Norman and a positive response from me.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:40 am

Cheers David, and Ken.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:50 am

According to an email just received
Due to popular demand, Bude Chess are pleased to announce that "The Riviera Congress" will run from Sunday 3rd September 2023 to Friday 8th September 2023 at the TLH Carlton Hotel, Falkland Road, Torquay. Five round morning and afternoon tournaments will take place with a £10 discount if you enter both tournaments. Three sections in each. The online entry form is here: http://congress.org.uk/congress/269/home.
The TLH Carlton Hotel is part of the complex immediately opposite the Riveria Centre.

Some might be disappointed that they aren't running a nine round FIDE rated Open given the six day schedule.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:37 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:50 am
According to an email just received
Due to popular demand, Bude Chess are pleased to announce that "The Riviera Congress" will run from Sunday 3rd September 2023 to Friday 8th September 2023 at the TLH Carlton Hotel, Falkland Road, Torquay. Five round morning and afternoon tournaments will take place with a £10 discount if you enter both tournaments. Three sections in each. The online entry form is here: http://congress.org.uk/congress/269/home.
The TLH Carlton Hotel is part of the complex immediately opposite the Riveria Centre.

Some might be disappointed that they aren't running a nine round FIDE rated Open given the six day schedule.
Oh Roger, why so fast to find fault? Surely, one's first reaction must be to welcome this rescue/replacement of a much loved congress that otherwise seemed doomed. Congrats to John and Chris Constable who have become a major force in West of England chess.

Ronnie Burton

Post by Ronnie Burton » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:31 pm

Agree with your comments Brendan.
John and Chris Constable have come forward in keeping chess tournements in the West of England going.