British Championship Congress 2022

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Gilbert

Re: British Championship Congress 2022

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:02 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:24 pm
The website still says:
note that the dates may be subject to change depending on final schedule for the FIDE Olympiad
The words have now been removed.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:14 am

Hurrah for that. Thanks very much.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:09 pm

QUIZ QUESTION: You only get one guess. The first entry list appeared yesterday. Using all the data available, can you calculate who's name was the first one down for the Championship (probably for the twentieth year running)? No it wasn't me, that would be very silly!

https://www.britishchesschampionships.c ... -entrants/

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:33 pm

Is it a bit strange that with the Championship, Major and the over-65s Seniors taking place in the afternoons of the second week, that there should also be a weekday morning Open? Are there enough Open players to go round? I wonder?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:14 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:33 pm
Are there enough Open players to go round? I wonder?
There are always players prepared to play both morning and afternoon sessions. Many are juniors, but not exclusively so.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:28 am

Seemingly Hull is in the frame for 2024 if not 2023.
from
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/wp-cont ... h-2022.pdf
12. British and English Championships Update (MT/NT)
MT reported that Hull had made an offer to host the British Championships in 2023 but that
NT felt that it was too soon to return to Hull. NT intended, however, to talk to Stephen Greep
about possibly hosting the British Championships in 2024

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 01, 2022 10:50 am

I just had a look at the Conditions and Entry Form page and two things struck me:

1. The following statement:
Prizes must be claimed, and bank details provided, by 31st October 2021.
2. When I click on the box maked ENTER ONLINE I get a page that says
This form is currently private and cannot be viewed by the public.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun May 01, 2022 11:46 am

The "Conditions and Entry Form" page which you mention appears to be an obsolete page for the 2021 event which never was.

The links on the home page work, including the one which says "Enter Online".

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun May 01, 2022 12:02 pm

Ah OK, my error. Thanks.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:04 pm

538 entries so far - if you haven't entered yet fees rise (significantly) after Friday, 7 July 2022. Time to get moving. It's the higher of your June ECF or FIDE rating that counts for the rated sections and it'll be your August rating that'll be used for pairings. It's England and it's August so bring your hottest shorts and a cagoule. See you there?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:44 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:04 pm
See you there?
You make a good case, but Madras is more appealing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:17 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:44 pm
David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:04 pm
See you there?
You make a good case, but Madras is more appealing.
Ditto Olomouc!

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:08 pm

Entries reached 744 this morning - that’s up by more than 200 since I posted this time last week. Having said that 190 of the total are blitz & rapidplay entries. Some days we’re getting more than one update so there might be more names by this evening.

Peter Wells becomes the sixth GM alongside Nicholas Pert, John Emms, Daniel Gormally, Mark Hebden and Keith Arkell. It hasn’t gone unnoticed that John Nunn would have been the top-rated player, but he and Paul Motwani have chosen the seniors route. Daniel Gormally and Adam Hunt had made an excellent commentary team previously, but this time Daniel is playing and Adam is in Chennai with the Wales team. I haven’t seen any announcement about a new crew have you? Actually I don’t think we should expect anyone from the Olympiad teams to be making an appearance in Torquay - there just isn’t enough time between the two events.

Going down the list it’s good to see Germany’s Reinhard Schmerwitz back again after the Covid-years. He’s been a regular at the British (and Hastings & Scarborough) and will be playing in the U1750 in both weeks. A case of the Torquay air being more appealing than the Rhine, maybe? We are missing the perennial David Everitt in the U1450s - I hope he’s okay - does anyone know?

As I said before, the last day for reduced entry fees is Friday, 8 July 2022. What are you waiting for? If you’re coming you can save yourself a few bob by getting your entry in by Friday.

Wish you were here postcards to Nick and Tim!

Later: Another 13 bringing entries up to 757, including GM Nigel Davies in the Championship.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:59 pm

Oh dear! This time to get the dates right - entry fees go up after Sunday 10 July 2022. My mistake.

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:00 am

David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:08 pm
Entries reached 744 this morning - that’s up by more than 200 since I posted this time last week. Having said that 190 of the total are blitz & rapidplay entries. Some days we’re getting more than one update so there might be more names by this evening.

Peter Wells becomes the sixth GM alongside Nicholas Pert, John Emms, Daniel Gormally, Mark Hebden and Keith Arkell. It hasn’t gone unnoticed that John Nunn would have been the top-rated player, but he and Paul Motwani have chosen the seniors route. Daniel Gormally and Adam Hunt had made an excellent commentary team previously, but this time Daniel is playing and Adam is in Chennai with the Wales team. I haven’t seen any announcement about a new crew have you? Actually I don’t think we should expect anyone from the Olympiad teams to be making an appearance in Torquay - there just isn’t enough time between the two events.

Going down the list it’s good to see Germany’s Reinhard Schmerwitz back again after the Covid-years. He’s been a regular at the British (and Hastings & Scarborough) and will be playing in the U1750 in both weeks. A case of the Torquay air being more appealing than the Rhine, maybe? We are missing the perennial David Everitt in the U1450s - I hope he’s okay - does anyone know?

As I said before, the last day for reduced entry fees is Friday, 8 July 2022. What are you waiting for? If you’re coming you can save yourself a few bob by getting your entry in by Friday.

Wish you were here postcards to Nick and Tim!

Later: Another 13 bringing entries up to 757, including GM Nigel Davies in the Championship.
How very rude you didnt say where is Lee Bullock on the entrants list haha. But no really I totally agree and hope David Everitt is ok. Its always nice to see the regular names on the list. The British is the one tournament I have played every year since I started playing in 2010. Hastings is another from 2011. I have recently been in contact with Keith Spooner. Was worried about him as he has been unwell for a long time now and has had several heart attacks and lots of issues. I think more should be done to keep in contact with these older players or unwell ones. I often used to message Tim Crouch. And am always asking about Alan Fraser. Shame he has also stopped Chess as well as Keith now who is too unwell. We have lost so many these past few years and im sure some went without many in contact with them.

Off the top of my head it would be nice to have a database where older players or unwell ones can put their phone numbers or contact details so people can check up on them and give them some company. I can think of 20 odd players who I would call or check up on if I had this to hand. Maybe add a feature on the ecf grading database where players can leave details if they want to.
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.