British Championship Congress 2022

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Gilbert

Re: British Championship Congress 2022

Post by David Gilbert » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:53 am

Lee Bullock’s four entries this morning ensures that Hawaiian party wear will be on display at the Riviera Centre and on the streets of Torquay. The British Championships wouldn’t be the British without Lee and his signature shirts and shorts, rain or shine!

Numbers have grown to 804 this morning, including 208 in the Blitz and Rapidplays, so we’re getting there. Expect a rush over the coming days as players aim to beat the higher entry fees.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:06 pm

Well I am pleased to see I am no longer the lowest-rated player in the Championship.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:51 pm

David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:08 pm
I haven’t seen any announcement about a new crew have you?
Is it too much to hope that Andrew Martin will do it again?

Lee Bullock

Post by Lee Bullock » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:16 pm

Me and Tim Hilton nearly done the commentary as a fun 10/15 mins in place of Danny G and Adam hunt at the last Torquay British haha. If the money is right we will do it. I will play my games in the commentary room and do the commentary as well 😆
2013/2014 and 16/17 U140 Grand Prix Winner! ;)

2015 and 2016 Chess character of the year :)

Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:33 pm

Disappointed to see that Torquay's only evening fixture during the Championships is an away game
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:49 pm

Those yellow shirts might trigger a few memories. I went to Plainmoor for a fixture last century but not since. Anyway before I digress too far I'll take the chance to wish forum members good luck in their efforts over the chess board. Not everybody can win, but I hope that the chess contains moments of interest and enjoyment.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:41 pm

Exeter by contrast do have a home game, and against Wycombe no less
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:35 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:33 pm
Disappointed to see that Torquay's only evening fixture during the Championships is an away game
That's at Newtown Abbott? Not far if so

Anyway, best of luck in the chess
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:38 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:17 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:44 pm
David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:04 pm
See you there?
You make a good case, but Madras is more appealing.
Ditto Olomouc!
Each according to their own, but the three best venues at which I have played in, officiated at or spectated at chess events are the following (not in order):

1. The venue for the European Team Championships 1997 in Pula, Croatia. For some reason that event has come back into my mind during the last two weeks.

2. The Riviera Centre, Torquay, England.

3. The Augustus Suite, Caleta Hotel, Gibraltar. Sadly, that venue is being demolished.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:42 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Most people attending the FIDE Congress are going to Chennai. Madras disappeared from the atlas in 1996, the year before I first went to one of the venues in my post above.

(Carl, please feel free to move this post to the "Pedants United" thread.)

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:22 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:38 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:17 pm
NickFaulks wrote:

Ditto Olomouc!
Each according to their own, but the three best venues at which I have played in, officiated at or spectated at chess events are the following (not in order):

1. The venue for the European Team Championships 1997 in Pula, Croatia. For some reason that event has come back into my mind during the last two weeks.

3. The Augustus Suite, Caleta Hotel, Gibraltar. Sadly, that venue is being demolished.
The Riviera Centre is a great venue, but what with 'Paignton' et al I feel I have seen enough of Torquay for a while

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:49 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:38 pm

The venue at the Caleta is awful, trapped like sardines (some boards you actually cannot get out and walk without disturbing your neighbour) and impossible to walk around the only two aisles in the room without bumping into some spectator or fellow competitor.

The Riviera Centre personally speaking is a generic conference/sport facility like most others I have played at over the years, and is nowhere near the best I have played at either

I did like the venues used in the 2017 and 2018 Euro Club (Antalya, Turkey and Porto Carras, Greece) and the facilities in Toronto were something special; the quirky venue for the Xtracon in Denmark is another good one, and the impressive Harpa in Reykjavik is the best looking I have played at

The main reason I don't play these events in the UK is the cost, you just seem to get better value for money going abroad nowadays (though still not started this again since COVID)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:47 pm

"and the impressive Harpa in Reykjavik is the best looking I have played at"

Agreed, and they extend the "happy hour" in the bar to the entire playing session

"The main reason I don't play these events in the UK is the cost"

Reykjavik falls down there, but it's ok if you have an Icelandic friend who can offer accomodation...

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:54 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:47 pm
"and the impressive Harpa in Reykjavik is the best looking I have played at"

Agreed, and they extend the "happy hour" in the bar to the entire playing session

"The main reason I don't play these events in the UK is the cost"

Reykjavik falls down there, but it's ok if you have an Icelandic friend who can offer accomodation...
Agree, but I used Iceland as a treat, and it most probably cost the same as the time I stayed in Sheffield for the British; always good to go to interesting places, and admittedly once you get used to the "happy hour" system in the pubs in Reykjavik it wasn't more expensive than in some places in central Manchester or the hotels you visit in some English tournaments

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:18 am

Alan Walton wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:49 pm
The venue at the Caleta is awful, trapped like sardines (some boards you actually cannot get out and walk without disturbing your neighbour) and impossible to walk around the only two aisles in the room without bumping into some spectator or fellow competitor.
I was talking more about the venue itself than the playing conditions, but I appreciate that the latter are very important. I don't accept that conditions at the Caleta were anything like as bad as those at Citadines Hotel (the London League venue) prior to the pandemic.

I was fortunate only to play in the morning tournaments, where overcrowding was less of an issue.

We shall see what happens, if anything, when the new hotel is built on the site.