13th Richmond Blitz - "Rik Thomas Memorial"

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: 13th Richmond Blitz - "Rik Thomas Memorial"

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:13 pm

Postcode area for the venue shows 590 positive cases in last 24 hours. I'm guessing that might be the record for there? Zoe Covid Study estimates 3146 active cases there. Although the Golder's Green event for the same day (Camden) threw up 822 cases for the last 24 hours. Zoe Study estimates 4869 active cases there. Presumably mostly all Omicron now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:34 pm

If you go out and play chess in London, there is a fair chance that you will catch Omicron.

If the chess is cancelled and you go out and do something else in London, there is a fair chance that you will catch Omicron.

If you are going to try to evade Omicron by staying at home, you will do that whether or not the chess is cancelled.

Take your pick.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:50 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:34 pm
If you go out and play chess in London, there is a fair chance that you will catch Omicron.

If the chess is cancelled and you go out and do something else in London, there is a fair chance that you will catch Omicron.

If you are going to try to evade Omicron by staying at home, you will do that whether or not the chess is cancelled.

Take your pick.
I guess most people are now avoiding pubs, restaurants and public transport. Christmas shopping crushes are probably a hard one to avoid. I think most people are quite happily just seeing friends and family, not necessarily just hiding in their houses. I reckon playing hours of blitz on Saturday must be as risky as being in the Christmas shopping crush for hours at a time. I see in Denmark they’re getting a similar Omicron outbreak to us, but on Sunday they shut down a lot of businesses (and presumably any big chess tournaments).

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:27 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:50 pm
I guess most people are now avoiding pubs, restaurants and public transport.
I assume you are having to guess because you are not actually going out to sniff the air.

I travelled to yesterday evening's match on a rush hour train and there was no hope of getting a seat, I was happy just to get on. That has also been the norm for the Underground. Afterwards we went to a big Wetherspoons, which was crammed until after midnight. Restaurants are looking a bit empty for the time of year though. I wonder whether people are cheesed off that their organised events are getting cancelled and are just going to the pub instead.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:08 pm

is this happening? no pairings online as yet
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:53 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:08 pm
is this happening? no pairings online as yet
http://chess-results.com/tnr586420.aspx?lan=1 is awaiting round 1.

What time did that start?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:10 pm

There’s got to be something ironic about holding a covid memorial chess event in London on the day the Mayor calls a major incident due to Omicron.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:16 pm

they have no internet... but they could use a phone as a hotspot? It's better than crowding round a piece of paper (especially as I can never get my printer to work)
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:51 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:16 pm
they have no internet... but they could use a phone as a hotspot? It's better than crowding round a piece of paper (especially as I can never get my printer to work)
Looking at the (in play not posing) photos of your event last weekend, there seem barely 50% of players wearing face masks.