The ACO is back!

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Sedgwick

Re: The ACO is back!

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:54 am
I get the strong impression (as before) that all these plugs for ACO should be moved to the Adverts section of the Forum
I doubt whether it matters. I think that readers of this Forum understand that the organisers and their supporters are promoting fake championships.

I did check with the Chess Arbiters' Association. They continue to recommend that no arbiter should have any involvement with ACO events, even as a player.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:32 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:38 pm
I think that readers of this Forum understand that the organisers and their supporters are promoting fake championships.
Fake or not, it looks like an excellent tournament in wonderful surroundings and I am signed up. I am far from convinced that anyone based in the UK will be allowed out in 2021, but cancellation conditions are very understanding.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:07 pm

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:13 am

I have to admit; I was duped back in 2013 when I played thinking it was FIDE rated; but it was a enjoyable event, but I would not go back because it isn’t rated

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:00 am

Nick’s name appeared on the list this morning, making it 158 registrations in total for October. We’ve dropped back to fourteen English entries after a defection to Wales and, of course, Nick plays under the Bermuda flag. Don’t you just love chess - we’re going to have so much fun!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:18 am

"I did check with the Chess Arbiters' Association. They continue to recommend that no arbiter should have any involvement with ACO events, even as a player."

I wouldn't bother to check with that CAA if I wanted to play in a tournament. I assume they don't actively warn off members? (No reason why they should of course.)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:21 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:07 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56528112

Don't let this worry you...
Not sure I understand your point. Should I fear that Crete will be overrun by Feyenoord hooligans?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 am

With regard to the CAA advice, some clarification is probably needed.

Under the previous FIDE administration a warning was issued that any arbiter involved in this event (playing or arbiting) risked being sanctioned.

That 'advice' has not been rescinded as far as I am aware.

Whether any punishment would ever be applied has yet to be tested. Any arbiter wishing to officiate at a FIDE event should consider not arbiting at this event. They may also consider not playing for the same reason.

My guess (and it is only that) is that the chances of any sanctions for playing are less than for officiating. In either case, I think the chances of punishment are probably not too high.

These chances would significantly increase, perhaps, if a tournament winner complained to FIDE that their 'title'' had not been ratified!

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:40 pm

"Whether any punishment would ever be applied has yet to be tested. Any arbiter wishing to officiate at a FIDE event should consider not arbiting at this event. They may also consider not playing for the same reason."

My point was "how would you know?" If I played a tournament, I would tend to assume it was rated and it would certainly not be my fault if it weren't. FIDE seem to be threatening sanctions against the wrong people.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:40 pm
FIDE seem to be threatening sanctions against the wrong people.
What makes you believe that FIDE is threatening anyone with anything?

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:28 pm

Presumably FIDE would be willing to rate ACO events if and only if:
a) ACO stopped designating their events as "world championships" (but they are unlikely to because it's their marketing ploy);
b) Rating fees were paid and results submitted through the appropriate national federation;
c) FIDE-licensed arbiters ran the events.

In practice I suppose none of these things is likely to happen so I am unlikely to enter any of their events (certainly not this year) and definitely would not act as arbiter after reading the warnings above.

I do think ACO should make it clear in their regulations and website that their events are not FIDE-rated. They are parasitical on the FIDE (and national) rating systems in that they divide their congresses into rating bands which they expect entrants to be honest in observing.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:11 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:28 pm
I do think ACO should make it clear in their regulations and website that their events are not FIDE-rated. They are parasitical on the FIDE (and national) rating systems in that they divide their congresses into rating bands which they expect entrants to be honest in observing.
The ACO do refer to this on the 'About Us' section of their website.

" Q: Is ACO connected to FIDE?
A: No. The ACO is a completely independent organization. The ACO considers itself as a complementary organization."

It's not clear to me from this section what was the motivation for setting up the organisation. They claim its aimed at players under 2400 who are not catered for by anyone else (its that reference which creates the confusion over whether their events are FIDE-rated). But FIDE do this already as far as I can see and its a bit rich using the other organisations rating system to claim you do a better job for amateurs. I suppose if its not FIDE-rated they don't have to pay fees to FIDE but seems to be the ACO has a bit of money behind them so its not clear that this is the motivation. Was there some sort of dispute with FIDE that led to the setting up of the ACO? Otherwise I don't know why they just don't make it FIDE rated as it appears to be a very well run tournament.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:18 pm

"What makes you believe that FIDE is threatening anyone with anything?

Alex said,

"Under the previous FIDE administration a warning was issued that any arbiter involved in this event (playing or arbiting) risked being sanctioned.

That 'advice' has not been rescinded as far as I am aware."

Sounds like a threat to me.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:41 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:11 pm
Was there some sort of dispute with FIDE that led to the setting up of the ACO? Otherwise I don't know why they just don't make it FIDE rated as it appears to be a very well run tournament.
The origins of ACO ten years ago as observed by the forum.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2837

There was a statement that "amateurs" aren't interested in ratings.

Before settling down to be a series of "holiday" tournaments, its original ambitions did seem to be to replace or supplement FIDE and national federations.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:14 pm

I'm not sure that "parasitical" really makes sense for something like a rating system; you don't in any meaningful sense use up FIDE's resources by using its ratings for your tournament.