The ACO is back!

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
David Gilbert

The ACO is back!

Post by David Gilbert » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:54 pm

Let’s face it Mac that basic Black is coming back! Sorry I’ve been watching Shock Treatment (again) and the excitement's got to me. The Amateur Chess Organisation (ACO) has just announced its programme for 2021:

11-20 May 2021 Crete The delayed 2020 Open and Seniors
17-26 July 2021 Rhodes 2021 Open
1-10 October 2021 Crete 2021 Seniors

The Crete venue for May and October is the all-Inclusive Fodele Beach Resort. For Rhodes it’s the 5-star Sheraton Beach Resort Hotel.  The dates won’t suit everyone - May might be too ambitious and July in Rhodes clashes with the British in Torquay. But my bags are already packed for October!

Players can register without risk - no deposit is required for the hotel booking. Furthermore, cancellations can be made free of charge up to 3 days (Crete) or 20 days (Rhodes) before arrival! 

More details will be coming to the ACO website in January www.amateurchess.com 

Note to Santa - I still believe!

NickFaulks

Re: The ACO is back!

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Who would book a return ticket?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:03 am

I presume that these tournaments will still not be FIDE rated, as they make make false claims about their status.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:30 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:03 am
I presume that these tournaments will still not be FIDE rated, as they make make false claims about their status.
Unlikely, as both ACO and FIDE use the same ridiculous title "World Amateur Championship". More important, I think, is the fact that ACO run great holiday tournaments in excellent hotels. I have played in three and would ordinarily recommend them without reservation. The one hesitation in 2021 is, of course, what Covid-19 might do to travel plans. My advice would be to express an interest in the event(s) you fancy when the details become available in January on the ACO website https://amateurchess.com/ and make a final decision as the year progresses.

I shall express an interest in the July (Rhodes) and October (Crete) events.

Note that Rhodes clashes with the British.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Has the ACO ever considered Turkey as a potential venue?
They have numerous resorts with excellent hotels.
Paul Robert Jackson

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:18 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:56 pm
Don't know for sure, but I have heard that they researched over 250 hotels from Croatia eastwards before choosing their venues.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:32 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:18 pm
Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:56 pm
Don't know for sure, but I have heard that they researched over 250 hotels from Croatia eastwards before choosing their venues.
You do see numerous tournaments taking place in Turkey for all ages & abilities.
Paul Robert Jackson

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:20 pm

Details of the ACO competitions in Crete and Rhodes are now available https://amateurchess.com I can recommend the Fodele Beach Resort in Crete. A brilliant place for a chess holiday. Leave your ham sandwiches at home, but don't forget your speedos and plenty of sunscreen.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:38 am

The updated entry list was published yesterday https://amateurchess.com/participants-2021/ . Registrations have only been open for a fortnight and already there are 145 entries across the three dates. Most popular by far is the Seniors at the wonderful Fordele Hotel Resort in October with 79 names, nine of whom are English. I’ve already got most of my holiday gear (saved from last October’s cancelled event), but needed some new shoes/trainers which arrived on Thursday - they’re twins, but not identical twins so each shoe is slightly different from the other. I’ve already got two pairs like this, one right brown with a black left and another pair with a black right and a brown left. I’m not allowed out in them because they make me walk with a limp!

If anyone else is contemplating joining us in October watch the “walk around” video from 2019 here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rld6fMj ... icle_title . The first room is where Groups D, E. F & G play, and the second room on the other side of the all-day restaurant is for Groups A, B & C. The video gives a flavour for the competition and the hotel.

Now for that vaccination.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:29 pm

Hi David
Looks just what i need after a year of no OTB
Have just entered and hoping for the best by October

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:26 am

John Sellen wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:29 pm
Hi David
Looks just what i need after a year of no OTB
Have just entered and hoping for the best by October
Good to have you on-board John. You’ll be one of the top seeds in Group E, so great things will be expected. No pressure then! We should have a good crew, currently numbering ten of the 91 registrations for October. You’ll know Brendan so you shouldn’t have any difficulties finding (or avoiding) the English contingent. Presumably you’ll be almost able to walk to Gatwick for your flight! At the other end the taxi fare is about €50 so look to see if there are others on your flight to share. Games are in the morning (except for the two afternoon games in double rounds) and start with a musical interlude, when people like me tend to do a hand jive! When the tune (it’s Portuguese) stops the chess begins - a sort of chess variant of musical chairs. Chess goes on throughout the hotel and around the pool area. If you fancy it, there’s the GM analysis after your games, two blitz nights, a GM Simul and half-a-dozen GM lectures. I'm so excited. We're going to have a fantastic time.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:38 pm

Having been locked out of over-the-board chess for nearly a year, there appears to be an increasing confidence in the ACO’s October Seniors in Crete. By this morning the number of registrations had grown to 104 with now thirteen English names on the list https://amateurchess.com/participants-2021/. Space is limited. In 2019 the event was pretty much full with 186 players so don’t hang around for too long if you’re thinking of having a go this time. Anyone who registers before 31 March 2021 gets €200 off the Hotel cost and €50 off the entry fee. Awesome!

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:39 pm

Hi David
What are views about flights
hold back or not for the time being

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:54 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:39 pm
Hi David
What are views about flights
hold back or not for the time being
It’s really for individuals to make their own decisions. You don’t have to pay for your accommodation until your arrival at the hotel (and you can cancel without penalty up to three days before that) and the ACO will refund your entry fee in full if the event is cancelled, so the only risk is losing your airfare. I lose sleep at the prospect of thousands of British tourists suddenly rushing out to buy flight-tickets in a Covid-free world. The flights I’ve taken to and from Heraklion for previous ACO tournaments have all been full, so I won’t leave it too late before booking - probably early March. But that's me. If everything goes tits-up after that I might have difficulties claiming a cash refund from the airline, but at least I’ll only be a few hundred quid down. Life eh!

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:25 am

Looking for things to take my mind off the cricket. If this was chess we’d resign! So checking this morning’s updated list of ACO registrations there are now 203 names for the three dates and these no doubt reflect the degree of confidence for 2021 as the year goes on.

11-20 May 2021 (Crete)
World Amateur Championships 2020 16 Registrations (one English)
World Senior Championships 2020 27 Registrations (no English)

17-26 July 2021 (Rhodes)
World Amateur Championships 2021 44 Registrations (3 English)

1-10 October 2012 (Crete)
World Seniors Championships 2021 116 Registrations (13 English)

For all events there’s a €200 saving for bookings before 31 Mach 2021.

Another wicket has gone down - as Tuffers just said we’ll have two extra days rest before the 3rd Test! Hmmmm!