British Championship Congress 2022

Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
Charlie Storey

Re: British Championship Congress 2022

Post by Charlie Storey » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:32 am

Yes Roger at Hull in 2018 I did the commentary.

The original rooms for Commentary and Junior Tournaments was swapped to allow more ventilation for the Kids. This resulted in me 'cooking' for 2 weeks whilst doing the commentary.
FIDE Master/FIDE Trainer PGCE Won170+ Opens
Many National Junior Champions 1-1
ChessBase Author
ICC Presenter
England junior Team Coach 2008-19
Head of WCJS
Https://ChessSERVICESmap.com
https://chesscasestudy.gr8.com/
www.QueensGambitAcademy.com

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:39 am

A weather warning for the coming week in Torquay. It’s gonna be a scorcher! Locals and holiday makers alike are advised to avert their eyes. The sun will be shining and that means heaps of excited chess players will be dislodging the moth balls from their bottom drawer, donning their (very short) shorts and converging on the Riviera Centre, unleashing their frightening white legs on an unsuspecting public. You know who you are!

With a few days before the start entries are up to 1076. Previous experience suggests there will be more next week and overall there should be over the 1100, and that figure could reach as many as 1200. There are big numbers for Blitz (132) & Rapidplay (159) events, while the Major Open (78) and the Weekender (173) have achieved impressive entry levels. The big mystery is why numbers should be so poor for the normally busy rated sections. There are just 66 names down for the Week 2 Congress for six sections and 127 for Week 1. Members of the chess community in Devon and the South West usually turn out in big numbers for the British in Torquay. Not this time - has chess changed in the region following the pandemic?

Some space in the boot now. I won’t need the electric blanket nor the hair straighteners.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:37 am

Because of the way they have timetabled the rated sections there is much less choice of things to play in than there used to be. OK, this is a personal preference but I like to play one game of chess in the afternoon and I go and do touristy stuff in the mornings. This year to play in week 1 I have to play 4 mornings in the U1750 (+3 afternoons). In week 2 I have the choice of the Major Open or the Over 65. If I had known there would be no on-site commentary before booking I would have gone and played in Biel as I did a few years book (instead of Hull).

The idea behind re-jigging the British a few yearsv back was to have a much stronger 9-round main tournament with more IMs as well as the top players. This year this certainly hasn't happened and they don't seem to be giving much thought in arranging playing opportunities for those who would play in the rated sections, either.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:16 pm

i was looking at the big names that have not entered who are not at the world team championship and wonder why?
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:31 pm

John Reyes wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:16 pm
i was looking at the big names that have not entered who are not at the world team championship and wonder why?
I'm not sure there are any. Who do you think is missing that isn't playing in India? That said, there isn't much of a competition for the Women's title.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:01 pm

POSTCARD: Arrived just after 1.00pm this afternoon. It’s hot! The car air-con was a dream. All quiet at the Riviera Centre - apparently they’ll be setting up from five o’clock today. The organisers have now inserted the August ratings on Chess-Results in good time for Monday’s pairings. We’ll done! The bowls green is now yellow and in a worse state than the Coventry arena pitch. Plenty of action on the crazy golf course - a hole in one as I passed. The golfer (a ten year old girl) hit the ball pin-ball fashion and ran. She caught up with the ball just as it dropped into the hole. Her brother (I assume it was her brother?) was less than impressed! The funfair looks scary if you’re fifty-plus. The Terminator is aptly named - what person in their right mind would do that to themselves. The Fun House looked anything but. Adults have to be accompanied by a five-year-old or something like that. And who would want a go on the Sky Flyer? Not me. I settled for a tub of rum & raisin ice-cream. Two scoops of course. Time for a nap.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm

There's coverage at
https://www.chess.com/events/-/2022-bri ... mpionships

They've got the Over 50s, the Under 16, Under 14 and Under 12 plus the Week 1 Open, The latter has a small field but includes current and former Paignton residents in Keith Arkell and Gary Lane.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:02 am

Pictures from first two days play https://brendanogorman.smugmug.com/Ches ... ships-2022 I'll add more as the event progresses.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:55 am

"Pictures from first two days play"

Very good as always. Is the last one a self-portrait?

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:55 pm

For those staying near to the Riviera centre check out TQ Beerworks (next to the fish restaurant with Las Iguanas on the other side). A wonderful view of the bay and a great selection of locally brewed beers. I'll miss the house bitter when I go home.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:55 pm
For those staying near to the Riviera centre check out TQ Beerworks (next to the fish restaurant with Las Iguanas on the other side). A wonderful view of the bay and a great selection of locally brewed beers. I'll miss the house bitter when I go home.
You should try the Lansdowne Inn as it a Craft Union pub,
ALso if you want a steak, the Bull and bush does a thursday special with a drink, or a Burger and drink on a Tuesday.
or if you want fast food, there a German kebab near by or pizza and chips at Pizza to go

But if you want asian Fusion tried the Indi-yang
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Ken Norman

Re: British Championship Pairings for over 50's

Post by Ken Norman » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:31 am

No pairings have been published for todays over 50's Championship.
What's going on?
Is there a major problem?

Tim Harding

Re: British Championship Pairings for over 50'

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:58 am

Ken Norman wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:31 am
What's going on?
I suspect it must have something to do with the Bolt-Fegan game which is showing (implausibly) as drawn in chess24 but no result in chess-results.com

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... -50/3/1/11

I am guessing there was a dispute of some kind and the game has gone to appeal, but is anybody in Torquay able to enlighten us?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:20 am

Why implausibly?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Thomas Rendle

Re: British Championship Pairings for over 50'

Post by Thomas Rendle » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:58 am
Ken Norman wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:31 am
What's going on?
I suspect it must have something to do with the Bolt-Fegan game which is showing (implausibly) as drawn in chess24 but no result in chess-results.com

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tourn ... -50/3/1/11

I am guessing there was a dispute of some kind and the game has gone to appeal, but is anybody in Torquay able to enlighten us?
I'm not in Torquay but I heard there were wifi issues last night, although I don't know if that's the cause of the problem. It does seem the pairings are now up. https://chess-results.com/tnr663958.asp ... art=2&rd=4