Details of upcoming UK events, please provide working links if possible.
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22644
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Post
by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:24 am
kishanpattni wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:27 am
The 1st Brainstormchess weekend congress will take place on 23-24 Feb.
Time controls
For all sections, each player will be have 75 minutes per game with a 30 second increment per move starting from move 1
That may cause scheduling difficulties, given that the first round is at 10:30, the second at 14:00 and the third at 17:30
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6649
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Post
by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 pm
"Time controls
For all sections, each player will be have 75 minutes per game with a 30 second increment per move starting from move 1
That may cause scheduling difficulties, given that the first round is at 10:30, the second at 14:00 and the third at 17:30"
True -Players are allowed 90 minutes for 30 moves. If they actually do that, you are already looking at a delay to the next round. Although the half hour gap probably only applies to FIDE-rated events...
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22644
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Post
by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:30 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:10 pm
Although the half hour gap probably only applies to FIDE-rated events...
I know it's a convention, probably introduced by e2e4 as among the first British organisers to combine increments with two rounds a day. Is it an actual FIDE rule though?
-
IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5174
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
-
Contact:
Post
by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:25 pm
CCF were doing that before e2e4 came on the scene; the rule there is that you're allowed an hour's break between rounds.
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6649
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Post
by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm
"Is it an actual FIDE rule though?"
If it is, it isn't easy to find (like all the other FIDE rules).
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22644
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Post
by Roger de Coverly » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:45 pm
Adam Raoof wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:16 pm
I think the organiser has corrected the time control to 75 mins plus 10 seconds increment
Makes sense, given the round times. Not a tournament for anyone looking for a more leisurely pace of game. It's even faster than a club match, where we've found that 80 10 usually fits into a three hour evening session.
-
Nick Grey
- Posts: 1838
- Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am
Post
by Nick Grey » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:58 pm
So wish I had more notice. It's 12 years I have been working for Kensington & Chelsea.
Best wishes to the organiser. +10 sec makes sense
Can I pull out of an away County match v Kent as Joint Captain?...………………..
-
kishanpattni
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:45 am
Post
by kishanpattni » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:40 am
Thank you Roger for pointing out the practicalities of the time control/schedule. Indeed the time controls have now been changed to 75 +10. I will ensure to the best extent I can that all are aware.
The event has been put up very late so I appreciate it may clash with other events/arrangements people have made. Apologies for this in advance.
-
Jacques Parry
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 pm
Post
by Jacques Parry » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:03 am
If the increment is only 10 seconds, you might want to reconsider the requirement that players must record all the moves.
-
kishanpattni
- Posts: 62
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:45 am
Post
by kishanpattni » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 pm
Jacques Parry wrote: ↑Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:03 am
If the increment is only 10 seconds, you might want to reconsider the requirement that players must record all the moves.
With the increment I think it is fair for all moves to be recorded during play. I appreciate that all players may not agree. I will be opening a number of polls to help form popular events.
At the moment for the upcoming event entry numbers are low but I hope to see an increase late on.
-
Roger de Coverly
- Posts: 22644
- Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm
Post
by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm
kishanpattni wrote: ↑Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 pm
With the increment I think it is fair for all moves to be recorded during play.
With 30 second increments, that's the usual FIDE rule. 10 or 15 second increments on the other hand are equivalent to the old buzzer or "white to move" tape loop tournaments. The rule which says you don't have to keep score once there's less than 5 minutes remaining seems entirely appropriate, since you go into Blitz mode making instant replies when possible.
-
Jacques Parry
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:37 pm
Post
by Jacques Parry » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:29 pm
Exactly. I don't recall ever playing in an event with an increment of only 10 seconds but no 5-minute rule.
Since the round times are similar to those at the monthly Hampstead event, is there a particular reason why the time limits are different? I would certainly prefer 60+30.
-
Alex Holowczak
- Posts: 9317
- Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 5:18 pm
- Location: Oldbury, Worcestershire
-
Contact:
Post
by Alex Holowczak » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 pm
kishanpattni wrote: ↑Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:46 pm
Jacques Parry wrote: ↑Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:03 am
If the increment is only 10 seconds, you might want to reconsider the requirement that players must record all the moves.
With the increment I think it is fair for all moves to be recorded during play. I appreciate that all players may not agree. I will be opening a number of polls to help form popular events.
It doesn't really matter what you think is fair or not; the issue is what the rules are and complying with them. It's not my responsibility, but I'm quite sure that the ECF's rules for tournaments to be graded don't give organisers the flexibility to use the rule you want to use in their tournaments.