The Partisan by Patrick Worrall
Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:33 am
I actually bought it, it was not a review copy!
The book starts with a woman tracking down war criminals in the 60s. The timelines then shift, with flashbacks and leaps forward, but these are sufficiently well labelled that it is not too confusing. A young female Russian chess player travels to London for a tournament and meets a young male English player. They get on well. Descriptions of chess vary, there are several references to “stalemate” which probably mean “draw”. When the protagonists play each other, the English player loses two knights and a rook, so thinks he is in trouble… The players carry on a quiet conversation whilst playing and nobody notices. But… the training techniques they use and other references are spot on. It’s an odd mix.
There is not much more chess, although a leading Russian villain is called Karpov. The various plots continue at pace and the book is gripping, featuring World War II, cold war, us versus them of various types, etc. There are convincing depictions of political machinations and people coming to a sticky end. All in all, I found it really interesting and a great read. I am really impressed that it's his debut novel. I imagine someone will snap up the movie rights.
The book starts with a woman tracking down war criminals in the 60s. The timelines then shift, with flashbacks and leaps forward, but these are sufficiently well labelled that it is not too confusing. A young female Russian chess player travels to London for a tournament and meets a young male English player. They get on well. Descriptions of chess vary, there are several references to “stalemate” which probably mean “draw”. When the protagonists play each other, the English player loses two knights and a rook, so thinks he is in trouble… The players carry on a quiet conversation whilst playing and nobody notices. But… the training techniques they use and other references are spot on. It’s an odd mix.
There is not much more chess, although a leading Russian villain is called Karpov. The various plots continue at pace and the book is gripping, featuring World War II, cold war, us versus them of various types, etc. There are convincing depictions of political machinations and people coming to a sticky end. All in all, I found it really interesting and a great read. I am really impressed that it's his debut novel. I imagine someone will snap up the movie rights.