Improve Your Life by Playing a Game

A book review may be a primary source, opinion piece, summary review or scholarly review.
John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:22 am

Richard James has reviewed

by WGM Jana Krivec from Thinker's Publishing

71abvh8FdYL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Re: Improve Your Life by Playing a Game

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:53 am

Jana Krivec graduated from the Faculty of Psychology at the University of Ljubljana in 2004, where she successfully defended her doctoral thesis entitled “Cognitive Information Processing: the Case of Chess” in 2011.
Isn't there a thread somewhere about chess-related academic theses?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:01 pm

Ah, a bad review finally!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:39 pm

I was intrigued by,

"Chapter 6, Theories and Studies on Benefits of Chess’, moves into rather different territory. We learn about chess and education, and about chess and health problems, though I for one would raise a very strong objection to describing ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorder as health problems."

Does this mean, "ADHD and ASD are imaginary"? (or something else?)

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:01 pm
Ah, a bad review finally!
Did you mean that the review was "bad" or something else?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm

No, rather that this review is the first in a while that says "we don't recommend this" (though maybe I am misremembering)
Last edited by Matt Mackenzie on Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:39 pm
I was intrigued by,

"Chapter 6, Theories and Studies on Benefits of Chess’, moves into rather different territory. We learn about chess and education, and about chess and health problems, though I for one would raise a very strong objection to describing ADHD and Autism Spectrum Disorder as health problems."

It's rather like describing homosexuality and left-handedness as "health problems", isn't it? None of these things are illnesses which can be "cured", although all have been regarded as such within the last 100 years and some people still so regard at least one of them.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:34 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:53 am
Jana Krivec graduated from the Faculty of Psychology at the University of Ljubljana in 2004, where she successfully defended her doctoral thesis entitled “Cognitive Information Processing: the Case of Chess” in 2011.
Isn't there a thread somewhere about chess-related academic theses?
I trust you saw I mentioned you in the review, Justin. Thanks for your (unwitting) help.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:35 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:39 pm
I was intrigued by,

It's rather like describing homosexuality and left-handedness as "health problems", isn't it? None of these things are illnesses which can be "cured", although all have been regarded as such within the last 100 years and some people so regard at least one of them.
Indeed. They're certainly not imaginary (and I have written elsewhere about chess in relation to both conditions), but neither are they either physical or mental health problems.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:51 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:03 pm
No, rather that this review is the first in a while that says "we don't recommend this" (though maybe I am misremembering)
I will confess to being fairly selective in the publishers chosen to review.

There are publishers whose bar is, on average, low. There are titles appearing as ebook offerings only that are truly dreadful. There are titles which are blatant thefts of out-of-print titles with no credit whatsoever to the books stolen from. Edward Winter has identified many of these.

Dealing only with highly respected publishers does have drawbacks but not that many!

Even for the top publishers one will occasionally "slip through the net".

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 pm

"It's rather like describing homosexuality and left-handedness as "health problems", isn't it? None of these things are illnesses which can be "cured", although all have been regarded as such within the last 100 years and some people so regard at least one of them.

Indeed. They're certainly not imaginary (and I have written elsewhere about chess in relation to both conditions), but neither are they either physical or mental health problems."

Thanks both - yes I did wonder if that's what you meant. An uncle of mine was caned for writing left-handedly at school, so he soon learnt to only do it when teachers weren't looking. You could argue that didn't help his health... Severe autism and ADHD are problems, and ADHD is often treated with strong drugs, so some people clearly think it is medical. (Or maybe it's more convenient for others...)