New service for ECF members?

For ECF members and chess fans alike.
Michael Farthing

Re: New service for ECF members?

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Is Simon worth replying to? Not really.

However, opinions (I'd actually describe it as a surmise) don't have to be backed up with facts - that's why they're just opinions.
Maybe I'm wrong - maybe someone else moderated it. Does it matter that much? It didn't strike me as controversial.
Ah well..

_________
Smeared with short term memory loss :-)

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:19 pm

I think we all need to let it go now, me especially.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:39 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Michael Farthing wrote:There are three possible outcomes to the current situation, which I order according to my personal preference:
There's a fourth option seemingly desired by some ECF Directors and magazine proprietors which is that all comment critical of the ECF be suppressed. If we go back to the Chess for Schools fiasco, the ECF's appointed manager was apt to express provocative views on a range of chess-related subjects and got himself drawn into wars of words as a consequence. In addition there was the scepticism that the project was going anywhere. To what extent would an "official" forum have removed his postings, or would they just have removed those critical of the project? There were actually surprisingly few although it should have been obvious that if you wanted to despatch a boxful of sets and boards to every school, consulting those, the chess suppliers, who did it commercially might have saved a lot of grief. It wouldn't have helped as there were only a limited number of sets to start with but it could have given the ECF an insight into how an offer of free manufacturing was only part of the costs involved.
Free collection from the manufacturer with delivery to the schools in Lancashire, Cheshire & Merseyside was offered to the ECF at the time.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:51 pm

Richard Bates wrote:Did Roger go on a free transfer? Is he the Denis Law of chess forums? ;)
Football season has started, so time to reply - Roger is on both forums (fora?), so not sure the Denis Law analogy is the right one - I've been struggling with something about the loan system, but given up

I think the problem with the other forum is they have set it up with a bit of a holier than thou attitude, and then fallen into an inadequate apology for accusing Carl of allowing aliases on here

Carl has done a terrific job, and my understanding is that he checks new members names against the Grading list - what I like about being on here is an idea that the people are real, which means I can actually meet them (as I have briefly with Richard, who appeared as pleasant in person as I would have expected from his posts on here)

So, having checked the ECF grading list, my question in relation to the official forum is who is Sue Dunham?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Mick Norris wrote: So, having checked the ECF grading list, my question in relation to the official forum is who is Sue Dunham?
I suppose the four possibilities are wife, girl friend, parent, or .... alias.

I've just thought of a fifth - ECF employee, although I would have expected that to be announced.

Having reread the posts, it's someone familiar with past venues for the British Championships, Liverpool in 2008 being mentioned at one point. My guess is parent. I think they speak with more authority if they self identify as such, particularly if there isn't a direct link on the surname.

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:12 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: So, having checked the ECF grading list, my question in relation to the official forum is who is Sue Dunham?

I've just thought of a fifth - ECF employee, although I would have expected that to be announced.

Having reread the posts, it's someone familiar with past venues for the British Championships, Liverpool in 2008 being mentioned at one point. My guess is parent. I think they speak with more authority if they self identify as such, particularly if there isn't a direct link on the surname.
my guess is Sue Dunham = Pseudonym

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:17 pm

A Yorkshire colleague (a reader of the forum but not a contributor) once said to me that he was sure that a regular contributor here was an alias - I pointed out that it was a real person because I'd seen him in the flesh! That said E Michael White has picked up on something that is an interesting coincidence at least and the only Dunham in the grading database is a Bruce Dunham last active in 1998. Since nothing Sue Dunham says is particularly unreasonable you do wonder why - if it is a pseudonym - they want to keep their real identity a secret.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:04 pm

It's getting choppy over there! You've touched a raw nerve folks.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:51 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:

Another obvious possibility is that it is some well-known female former chess player or administrator who has got married since they stopped playing/administering chess, so their current name is not recognised (or vice versa - the maiden name of someone better known under their married name).

Of course, without actually knowing the answer, you can't rule out that the possibility that it's a reincarnation of Leigh Strange. :)

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:52 pm

Could have been Kaiser.

(PS can anybody - in language understandable to a simpleton - how I make these pictures smaller?)
Attachments
Kaiser.jpg
Kaiser.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 5501 times

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Martyn Jacobs in the ECF Forum to Sue Dunham:
Hi
I have also had an 'interaction' with you -You don't have to agree to have a good conversation!
As I am unable to post in the 'other place', I'd like to suggest if I may, a fifth option.
Please tell me if I'm right.
I think this is a 'Turing Test'!

This is worse than trying to read John le Carré. Can anyone explain what the innuendos are?
Last edited by Michael Farthing on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:21 pm

You could use this one

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:44 pm

Well there you go. On the face of it my login to the official forum has been suspended. It could be a computer glitch but I rather doubt it. In something like six years plus on the ecforum I haven't encountered a problem.

<edit> Whatever the problem was, I seem to have overcome it

I think it reasonable that someone who comments on the continuation or otherwise of the Major Open, should declare an interest either implicitly via the FIDE or ECF rating or grading websites or directly.
</edit>

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 am

"Of course, without actually knowing the answer, you can't rule out that the possibility that it's a reincarnation of Leigh Strange. :)"

Leigh Strange was (and hopefully, still is) a real person, just not as strong a player as she appeared...

"my guess is Sue Dunham = Pseudonym"

Brilliant!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:59 am

E Michael White wrote: my guess is Sue Dunham = Pseudonym
That now appears to have been the right answer. A posting where he or she was rather bitchy towards those making identity speculation has been deleted, but along with it went a couple of responses.