State of the ECF Forum

For ECF members and chess fans alike.
Paolo Casaschi

Re: State of the ECF Forum

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:If the allegation is that posts on the ecforum hindered attempts at sponsorship, then those making the allegations need to identify what views in which posts caused these.
True. It's most likely an excuse.

Still, remember to ask for details next time someone claims FIDE is missing out on sponsorship because of a corrupted, alien-obsessed, dictator-friendly president.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:20 pm

David Robertson wrote:The 1st Law applies: stupidity drives out intelligence.
I see it more as Gresham's Law than thermodynamics.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:27 pm

I see the last post of any kind on the Atticus Forum was two years ago, despite it not appearing to be locked AFAICS :shock:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:41 pm

Right. Thanks folks for enlightening me.
And WE are disreputable and off-putting to sponsors!!!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:If the allegation is that posts on the ecforum hindered attempts at sponsorship, then those making the allegations need to identify what views in which posts caused these.

Still, remember to ask for details next time someone claims FIDE is missing out on sponsorship because of a corrupted, alien-obsessed, dictator-friendly president.
That is an utter non sequitur.

Kirsan is the President of FIDE. He is extremely visible and the most senior official in world chess.

The ECForum has no official standing and is actually rather unlikely to be of any concern to a sponsor (unless the sponsor is clearly promising what it cannot deliver and is exposed as such here).

Paolo Casaschi

Post by Paolo Casaschi » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 pm

Paul McKeown wrote:
Paolo Casaschi wrote:

That is an utter non sequitur.

Kirsan is the President of FIDE. He is extremely visible and the most senior official in world chess.

The ECForum has no official standing and is actually rather unlikely to be of any concern to a sponsor (unless the sponsor is clearly promising what it cannot deliver and is exposed as such here).
I'm just saying, I agree with asking for real examples when quoting an excuse for lack of sponsorship. Both from whoever claims this forum damaged the ECF sponsorship chances and from whoever claims the current president damages FIDE sponsorship chances. Without examples, I agree, both look like excuses and propaganda.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:44 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote: I'm just saying, I agree with asking for real examples when quoting an excuse for lack of sponsorship. Both from whoever claims this forum damaged the ECF sponsorship chances and from whoever claims the current president damages FIDE sponsorship chances. Without examples, I agree, both look like excuses and propaganda.
At the end of the day while people are entitled to their opinions sponsors will expect a certain amount of gratitude in return for investing their money.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:22 pm

For what is so far a relatively small forum with a limited number of postings and never a huge number of simultaneous visitors, the new forum does seem to be causing a number of resource knock-on effects to the main ECF server. The British championship and grading pages having been booted off to separate servers to reduce demand.

Is it something they are doing to prevent posts been archived by Google etc. that's causing the excess load?

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:For what is so far a relatively small forum with a limited number of postings and never a huge number of simultaneous visitors, the new forum does seem to be causing a number of resource knock-on effects to the main ECF server. The British championship and grading pages having been booted off to separate servers to reduce demand.

Is it something they are doing to prevent posts been archived by Google etc. that's causing the excess load?
It's a MySQL issue they are having which is probably on a shared copy so I doubt load or engines as has been suggested has anything to do with it.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:24 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote: At the end of the day while people are entitled to their opinions sponsors will expect a certain amount of gratitude in return for investing their money.
I very much doubt a real sponsor for the ECF would take any notice of a chess forum.What evidence do you have that a sponsor has looked at this forum and then said i will not sponsor the ECF.

Trying to blame this forum for lack of sponsorship for the ECF is just plan daft.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:26 pm

Peter D Williams wrote:
Andrew Zigmond wrote: At the end of the day while people are entitled to their opinions sponsors will expect a certain amount of gratitude in return for investing their money.
I very much doubt a real sponsor for the ECF would take any notice of a chess forum.What evidence do you have that a sponsor has looked at this forum and then said i will not sponsor the ECF.

Trying to blame this forum for lack of sponsorship for the ECF is just plan daft.
The origin of all this was the attempted Holloid cover up.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:36 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote: The origin of all this was the attempted Holloid cover up.
I have another speculation. The nature of the Chess Sets for Schools project was that even if the sets were manufactured in bulk, the ECF had to undertake the administration and distribution. As a consequence the manager of the project had to find logistic and distribution support. My suspicion is that assuming he did actually approach relevant Companies, that he told them how big the project was by reference to all the internet discussion about it. It was a problem that rather than confine his attention to the project, he got side-tracked in all sorts of debates around issues of which he knew little. So anyone Googling the project or his names would have got a ringside seat into flame wars. If anything the forum was more tolerant of the ECF wasting moderate to large sums on an abortive project than it should have been.

Peter D Williams

Post by Peter D Williams » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:59 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
I have another speculation. The nature of the Chess Sets for Schools project was that even if the sets were manufactured in bulk, the ECF had to undertake the administration and distribution. As a consequence the manager of the project had to find logistic and distribution support. My suspicion is that assuming he did actually approach relevant Companies, that he told them how big the project was by reference to all the internet discussion about it. It was a problem that rather than confine his attention to the project, he got side-tracked in all sorts of debates around issues of which he knew little. So anyone Googling the project or his names would have got a ringside seat into flame wars. If anything the forum was more tolerant of the ECF wasting moderate to large sums on an abortive project than it should have been.
I agree with everthing you have just said . This forum was very tolerant over the chess sets for schools.

I would suggest that sponsors do not come forward because the ECF does not have a very good business plan over the various projects it gets involved with.
when you are successful many losers bark at you.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:39 pm

"I would suggest that sponsors do not come forward because the ECF does not have a very good business plan over the various projects it gets involved with."

And in the past, some sponsors have been unhappy with how the money was used. I'm told that at least one sponsor even sued BCF for return of the sponsorship money! Word might get round, even though that was not publicised at the time.

And I note that the other forum has still not responded to my repeated request for an apology for making false statements about this one... So much for their fluffy approach "let's be nice" attitude. Obviously this attitude was a one way street.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:28 pm

Just tried to visit the new ECF forum. Got This:

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit.
Please try again later.

Eventuially got on, tried to log in. Got This:

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit.
Please try again later.

Never seen this before.
Is it one the techno freaks at work blocking chess sites again.