Senior opportunities in 2018

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
NickFaulks

Re: Senior opportunities in 2018

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm

Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:50 am
I can't comment on the FIDE event, but one additional aspect of the Kos event worth noting is the fabulous hotel where it is held.
The hotel which hosted the 2017 World Senior Teams in Crete was also superb and reasonably priced, and I would go back like a shot. The problem, as I have said, is that the 2018 event isn't being held there.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu May 31, 2018 12:08 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm
The hotel which hosted the 2017 World Senior Teams in Crete was also superb and reasonably priced, and I would go back like a shot. The problem, as I have said, is that the 2018 event isn't being held there.
But the 2019 event is.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu May 31, 2018 12:14 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:01 pm
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:50 am
I can't comment on the FIDE event, but one additional aspect of the Kos event worth noting is the fabulous hotel where it is held.
2019 will be in Crete again, not clear yet whether the same venue. I think most people were very happy with the 2016 World Senior Teams venue near Dresden and I am happily going back there again. Also the venue in Germany attracts a much bigger entry for the event than Crete did last year, where Greek teams were conspicuous by their virtual absence? Maybe it's a question of whether you want a sun holiday or a world class tournament.

On another point, I note that on both the ECF senior pages and the official team registrations listings (70 teams in the 50+ now, 59 in the 65+) Nigel Short is still down to play for England.

http://www.schachfestival.de/world-team ... tions.html

Is Nigel taking the view that Dresden will give him a good campaigning chance to meet players from many countries, or is he going to be replaced, in which case England would probably drop to fourth seed or lower?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 31, 2018 12:32 pm

Brian Towers >Surely new tournaments increase "the level of tournament participation,<

That isn't necessarily a given. New congresses are likely to increase participation, but again isn't certain.

Take England. In Hastings we have several small Swisses of about 16 players. I think it likely thy would get more entries with fewer sections.

In Britain we used to have sections of 6 all-play-all, rather than big Swisses. That certainly had more tournaments, but fewer participants and there are now very few such events.

I suspect having many more congresses could be self-defeating. The organisers are chasing the same players. I rather think that has happened with Senior international chess where the European Senior Team Championship is a shadow of its former self.

Another event which is no longer popular is The National Club Championship. Competition from The 4NCL has damaged that, probably irreparably.
Tim, I will be making an announcement about the English Senior Teams in Radebeul when I have all the information.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Should anyone be thinking seriously about joining the home party heading to the ACO Seniors at Fondele Beach Resort on Crete in October, the €150 discount ends next week, on 15 June 2018. There's presently 102 participants on the list, including seven from England. Trouble is it means a second mankini wax.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:22 pm

In case you missed it, the details of the Crete event can be read here: https://amateurchess.com/wp-content/upl ... 18_eng.pdf
Note that you can still save €100 by booking before 15 July or €50 before 15 August. Note that rooms at the venue hotel are limited, so the earlier one books the more likely one is to secure a room at the venue.