World Senior Championships, Nov. 2017 Acqui Terme

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Roger Lancaster

Re: World Senior Championships, Nov. 2017 Acqui Terme

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 pm

Can't fault the arbiter, to be fair. Once the players have agreed a result and there's been no legal infringement, I don't see he or she can intervene. But - while it's hard to be sure without having actually witnessed the nature of the fumble - I'm fairly clear that I'd go along with the majority who wouldn't want to acquire a reputation, as the 'winner' here probably will, for winning games under circumstances such as these.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Craig Pritchett wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:07 am
By the way he leads the tournament, tied on 5/6 at the rest day today. He also won last night's blitz tournament.
Joint leader with five others, including Antonio (the guy he 'lost' to). Would be a bit shocking if it came down to a tie-break there. 11 rounds in total, so plenty of time for everyone to play each other.

Why are the top England players not there? Other commitments? Lack of funding? Was the ECF involved in any of the co-ordination?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Arkell, Flear, Speelman and various others were at the 4NCL this weekend.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Why are the top England players not there? Other commitments? Lack of funding? Was the ECF involved in any of the co-ordination?
In previous World Championships I qualified for free full board by finishing in the top 3 in the Euro/World Champs the previous year. Not this time, however.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 pm

The live boards appear not to be working today for round 9; maybe the internet went down at the venue. It is a day off for the women today.
Penultimate round for everyone tomorrow and the final round on Saturday starts half an hour earlier (1300 GMT).
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Perhaps the question you should be asking is why did the 4NCL chose a weekend that clashed with the World Seniors Championship?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:28 pm

4NCL weekends are probably highly subject to when the hotels are willing to have them.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:53 pm

Ken Norman wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Perhaps the question you should be asking is why did the 4NCL chose a weekend that clashed with the World Seniors Championship?
No matter when you hold it, you're always going to clash with a World this, a European that, or a British/National the other.

Can you identify a weekend between October and Christmas that doesn't clash with a World or European event? The calendar is here: http://www.fide.com/calendar/fide-calendar.html

I thought I succeeded, but when I looked more closely, I saw it clashed with the London Chess Classic.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:52 pm

It seems bizarre that the 4NCL should be expected to avoid world chess events for the benefit of the world chess event attendances rather than for its own attendance figures :?

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:45 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:37 pm
The live boards appear not to be working today for round 9; maybe the internet went down at the venue. It is a day off for the women today.
Penultimate round for everyone tomorrow and the final round on Saturday starts half an hour earlier (1300 GMT).
Actually it seems that yesterday the phone app was working ok but not the websites. Or maybe they fixed it after my post,

Today it seems that both versions are showing the 65+ top games whether you try for them or the 50+. This is presumably the fault of somebody in the Arco organisation supplying an incorrect feed. It's the same on their own website.

The top three women's games in each of their events are showing ok but with a BIG but:
They have followed the order of boards churned out by their software so in the 65+ Tamara Khmiadashvili, who is joint leader with Nona Gaprindashvili (whom she beat earlier) is on board 7 and so not "live".
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 pm

An update here:

Julio Granda Zuniga won the Open over-50 event (silver went to everyone's favourite player, Antonio!).
Sveshnikov won the Open over-65 event.

In the over-50, Stephen Mannion finished 2 points behind the winner in joint fourth (10th on tie-break) after finishing with three straight wins. Still managed to lose rating points, though that might be chess-results calculating things in a strange way.

Berend and Khmiadashvili won the respective women's events.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/julio-gra ... mp-over-50

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:48 pm

Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 pm
In the over-50, Stephen Mannion finished 2 points behind the winner in joint fourth (10th on tie-break) after finishing with three straight wins. Still managed to lose rating points, though that might be chess-results calculating things in a strange way.
You can check the calculations for yourself. The loss of rating points looks right to me. http://www.chess-results.com/tnr282186. ... 821&snr=19

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Report from the World Seniors with photos:

http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors.html

Also I have added more photographs and updated my calendar of future Senior events.
Tim Harding