INTERNATIONAL SENIOR OPPORTUNITIES 2017

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Stewart Reuben

INTERNATIONAL SENIOR OPPORTUNITIES 2017

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:19 am

Two international team tournaments were scheduled for the spring of 2017. The European event in Novi Sad has been postponed. It may take place later this year, but I doubt very much in Novi Sad,
The World Team Championships 50+ and 65+ are in Crete and take place from 23 April to 3rd May.
Anybody whose 50th birthday falls in 2017 or earlier is eligible.

Please let Stewart Reuben [email protected] and Roger Scowen [email protected] know as soon as possible if you would like to play in a 4-person or 5-person English team - normally every volunteer is accepted, and rejected only if the number of players is 1, 2, 3. 6, 7, or 11. You need to be, or become an ECF Gold member.
So far about 10 players 65+ have signed up and 5 50+. Ireland, Scotland and Wales send their own teams.
Players under 1700 or 150 may find the opposition somewhat daunting. But weaker players have played and enjoyed themselves.

WORLD SENIOR TEAM CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP 2017

Regulations - (https://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEW ... _teams.pdf)

Venue & Dates - Hersonissos, Crete, Greece, 23 April -3 May
(Official website - http://wstcc-crete.com/)
(Trip advisor- https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Rev ... Crete.html

Events - 50+ (born in 1967 or earlier), 65+ (born in 1952 or earlier): open and women's championships. An effort is being made to field a separate women's team. Hitherto English women have played in an open team.

9 rounds - one game per day starting (mostly) at 3pm

Time limit per player: 90 minutes for 40 moves + 30 min. the rest of game, 30 seconds’ increment every move starting from one. A player forfeits the game if he hasn't appeared at their board within 30 minutes after the start of game.

Costs
Hotel - accommodation for 10 nights per person in the 5-star Creta Maris Resort , daily full board with breakfast, lunch and dinner, free WiFi internet access, free use of hotel pools.
580 euros total per person in a double room for 10 nights
790 euros total per person in a single room for 10 nights

Fees -
55 euros (i.e. 30 euros regisration to the organiser; 25 euros to FIDE)

Transport from Heraklion airport to and from hotel venue -
50 euros

Air fare - England to Heraklion economy return
about 200 euros or less

Players make their own travel arrangements. Andrew Walker of the ECF Office [email protected] is wiling to collect the fees and hotel deposit. The easiest way is to phone 01424 775222 in office hours and provide your details.

The British Championships, including Senior events, take place in Llandudno 28 July to 6 August
The European Senior Individual will take place in Barcelona 11-21 August
The World Senior Individual will take place in Acqui Terme Italy commencing 18 November

Tim Harding

Re: INTERNATIONAL SENIOR OPPORTUNITIES 2017

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:03 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Two international team tournaments were scheduled for the spring of 2017. The European event in Novi Sad has been postponed. It may take place later this year, but I doubt very much in Novi Sad,
I don't see any future for the EU Senior Teams unless they change the format. The Worlds in 2016 was an excellent event and looks like growing?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:00 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: The European event in Novi Sad has been postponed. It may take place later this year, but I doubt very much in Novi Sad,
Do we know what went wrong with that?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:02 pm

In practice there is too little distinction between World Senior Teams and European Senior Teams and this year the proposed dates were too close together.

How many non-European teams competed in the 2016 World Senior Teams?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:56 pm

As far as I know the Serbian organisers did nothing whatsoever about the ESTCC. The ECU should have cancelled the Noni Sad event earlier than they did.

Whwn I introduced the WSTCC in the Isle of Man in 2004, funds were provided for non-European teams to participate. Thus South Africa and Australia took part. Germany as ESTCC Champions also received hospitality, I don't remember about Israel. The USCF never even gave the courtesy of a response to the invitation which included free hospitality.
As far as I know the subsequent organisers have not offered inducements to the continental representatives. Until they do so, the event will remain extremely Eurocentric. Without looking it up, I think there were 3 non-European teams in 2016. I have tried to encourage such as India to participate, without any success.
One reason of course is that there is little senior chess outside Europe. Indeed, for some years most of the teams were from Germany. Britain supports these events, but France seldom plays.

There is an argument that four major international senior events, two European and two World, is too many. In Britain we also have the British Championships and Beacon. The English Senior Chmpionship has not yet been scheduled for this year. It was successful in 2016. There is also a senior tournament in Liechtenstein and several in Germany.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:In practice there is too little distinction between World Senior Teams and European Senior Teams and this year the proposed dates were too close together.

How many non-European teams competed in the 2016 World Senior Teams?
Stewart is probably right that there were three non-European teams in Dresden last year. In the 50+ there was Canada and Mongolia Women.
I don't recall any others but I was in the other tournament.

In the 65+ there was Tunisia (who played throughout defaulting board 1, as the declared player never appeared, though some thought they should have been made to play boards 1-3). The majority of the teams in the 65+ were German clubs and regions so probably the entry will fall this year (though the venue is attractive) and return in 2018 to 2016 levels or higher.

I don't think there are too many senior individual tournaments - arguably not enough - but teams are much harder to organise so I think they should just have the Worlds or maybe make the Europeans a single 60+ tournament. The Poles are due to organise the event next year and the 2018 dates are further apart (March and July).
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:35 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:Two international team tournaments were scheduled for the spring of 2017. The European event in Novi Sad has been postponed. It may take place later this year, but I doubt very much in Novi Sad...
To my surprise also, the ECU calendar is now showing the EU Senior Team event re-arranged for Novi Sad 24 June to 4 July but no link to details is supplied.

http://www.europechess.org/calendar/2017-2/
Tim Harding

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:14 pm

In order to play in either event listed below, you must reach your 50th birthday by 31 December 2017 in order to play 50+. To play 65+ you must reach your 65th birthday by 31 December 2017. A player 65+ can play in the 50+ event.
Herewith details of our 33 players in Crete. Please take the information with a pinch of salt. The ratings are as of 1 March. Some will change 1 April. The seedings are as the website here. They are not accurate. Our teams may change between now and 22 April. The English players have been listed in order of their FIDE Ratings.
If you are interested in playing, please contact [email protected] and Roger Scowen [email protected], RIGHT AWAY. We are able to take on any number in either age group. But the organisers may no longer have accommodation available.
The SCCU 125 team is very special. It is in celebration of their 125 years. All four players are current or former, Presidents of the SCCU.
After that section, there are completely new details of the European Senior Chess Team Championships in Novi Sad, Serbia. I have no idea how many people will wish to play, but Geoff James, Jmes Plaskett and I have expressed iterest.

WORLD SENIOR CHESS TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
http://wstcc-crete.com/
CRETE

Last name
England 150+ First name rating
Nunn GM John 2600
Speelman GM Jon 2518
Arkell GM Keith 2408
Pein IM Malcolm 2345
Chapman FM Terry 2251 captain
Average 2468 Seed 4
England 2
Plaskett GM James 2458
Lewis FM Andrew 2258
Dunn CM Andrew 2197
Burnett Jim 2083
Fegan Chris 2052
2249 Seed 6
England 3
Homer Stephen 2005
Jacob Syd 1899
Cross Ian 1709
Waldock Adrian 1675
1822 Seed 17
SCCU 125
Sedgwick David 1961 captain
Denning female Julie U 1738 est.
Gunn Mike 1603
Howes David 1464
1507 Seed 19

65+ 1
Stebbings Anthony 2294
Stokes Michael 2223
Quinn John 2161
Reuben CM Stewart 2067 captain
2190 Seed 6
65+ 2
Scholes James 2071
Farrand Julian 2017
Hewson Brian 2060
Reynolds Ian 1996
Thynne Trefor 1975 captain
2036 Seed 12
65+ 3
Ewart Brian 1918
Fenwick Hugh 1906
Wood Peter R 1879
Jones Gareth U 1875 est.
Scowen Roger 1862 captainn
1891 Seed 19

Dear chess friends,

It is a great honour and pleasure for the Serbia Chess Federation to invite you to the European Senior Team Championship which taking place in Novi Sad in the period June 24 – July 4.
Novi Sad is a city some 70 km away from Belgrade, of exceptional tradition and culture, with lots of tourist values, holding the title of the “European Capital of Culture in 2021”.
Novi Sad was a host of the Chess Olympiad in 1990 and it also hosted lots of official European competitions.
The tournament will take place in an outstandingly beautiful atmosphere of the Tourist resort “Ribarsko ostrvo”, which is only 3 km away from the city centre.
Be a part of this exceptional event and do not hesitate to contact us.

Details are on http://novisad2017.org ;

Best regards,

Io Petar Katanic-Vujic.

It may seem that there is plenty of time to decde about Novi Sad. Entry is not required until 3 May. This is not so, they only have 30 rooms at the better hotel where the event is taking place.

Stewart Reuben

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:10 pm

The basic regulations for the 2017 World Senior championships at Acqui Terme, Italy, in November can now be downloaded from:

https://www.fide.com/index.php?option=c ... w&aid=1264

The hotel information is vague (classes of hotel, not names).

Those of us who played there in 2015 may wish to pass on this one as the organising team is the same as before. I expect entries to be considerably down on the Marianske Lazne 2016 peak. I doubt if the venue could cope if the same number of people entered.

Meanwhile we still await specifics on the EU Senior Individual to be held in a northern suburb of Barcelona in August. It seems the ECU are still trying to drum up support for the rearranged EU Senior Teams which I expect to be a flop.

Next year's venues for the FIDE senior events are more attractive than this year's (except, of course, for Crete, which unfortunately I cannot make because of the clash with Reykjavik). I may go to Barcelona if information is available soon and looks okay, but it will be very hot...
Tim Harding

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:12 pm

We have a party of 5 for the ESTCC 65+ in Novi Sad. I hope it doesn't fall thorugh we have booked our flights.
Geoof James, Stewart Reuben, Brian Hewson, Majid Mashayekh, Roger Scowen.
50+ only James Plaskett so far wishes to play. But itis not too late.
I am attracted to Barcelona for the European Senior Individual. It is not EU. BUT it i likely to be simply too hot.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:We have a party of 5 for the ESTCC 65+ in Novi Sad. I hope it doesn't fall thorugh we have booked our flights.
Geoof James, Stewart Reuben, Brian Hewson, Majid Mashayekh, Roger Scowen.
50+ only James Plaskett so far wishes to play. But itis not too late.
I am attracted to Barcelona for the European Senior Individual. It is not EU. BUT it i likely to be simply too hot.
I meant EU as abbreviation for European (geographical), no political implications! Obviously getting very sensitive where you live...

Last year the 65+ European Senior Teams only had eight entries if I recall correctly - so a round-robin of seven rounds with two rest days. Is there much to do in Novi Sad on rest days?

Maybe we'll try to get an Irish team for Poland next year (as well as Dresden) since that's a country I have never yet visited.
Tim Harding

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:18 pm

I've just seen that the 2018 World Seniors Teams are in Bled. Lovely place, but not in late November.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote:I've just seen that the 2018 World Seniors Teams are in Bled. Lovely place, but not in late November.
Are you sure? According to the FIDE Calendar (http://www.fide.com/index.php?option=co ... ar&ny=2018), it's the World Senior Championships rather than the World Senior Team Championships.

The Calendar indicates that the latter are (back) In Radebeul, Germany, in early July.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:03 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:I've just seen that the 2018 World Seniors Teams are in Bled. Lovely place, but not in late November.
Are you sure? According to the FIDE Calendar (http://www.fide.com/index.php?option=co ... ar&ny=2018), it's the World Senior Championships rather than the World Senior Team Championships.

The Calendar indicates that the latter are (back) In Radebeul, Germany, in early July.
Oops, sorry. I shan't be going to the World Seniors, then.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
David Sedgwick wrote:

Oops, sorry. I shan't be going to the World Seniors, then.
Why not? Last year we expected Marianske Lazne to be very cold in late November but actually it was very pleasant and by going we missed the coldest spell in Ireland this winter. Marienbad was dry nearly every day, bracing and often sunny; every building was warm once you got inside.

Bled may be ok too (or do you have some particular reason for supposing not?) and, health permitting, I certainly intend to go.
The team event in Radebeul was a great success in 2015 so I have high hopes we can get at least one Irish team for that next year.
Tim Harding