Future World and EU senior events

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Tim Harding

Future World and EU senior events

Post by Tim Harding » Tue May 17, 2016 4:59 pm

Just starting a new information thread for 2016/2017 senior events other than the upcoming World Teams for which we have a thread already.

The next event up is the EU Individual Senior Championships in Yerevan, Armenia, 4-14 June.
http://www.europechess.org/european-sen ... gulations/
I doubt many will go from western Europe?

Then the World Teams at Radebeul, Germany in June/July.

World Individual Senior 2016 at Marianske Lazne, Czech Republic 18 Nov- 1 Dec.
A regulations PDF is now available for that online:
https://www.fide.com/images/stories/FID ... C_2016.pdf

Beer should be good i but expect cold weather?

Advance payments are required a bit further in advance than was the case last year.
FIDE entry fee: Each player has to pay 70 EUR as FIDE entry fee.
Registration fee: Each player has to pay 80 EUR as registration fee for the event. It includes registration and
accreditation.
FIDE entry fee and registration fee together with the payment for the hotel booking must be paid simultaneously
with the application. The payment must be made by bank transfer. Invited players or their federations will also
pay.
The registration period ends on 30th September 2016, after that the FIDE entry fee is 140 EUR.
Further on in the document it explains that the hotel deposit payable in advance is 150 EUR so that's a total of 300 Euro to be paid by 30 Sept.
Moreover all advance payments are non-refundable. As it's not unknown for senior players to get ill/have accidents so need to withdraw you will need good travel insurance. It's all becoming rather Draconian.

A most unattractive detail is that they won't even play the tournaments at the same venue and the 50+ is even split between two different hotels:
The tournament hall for 65+ open category is situated at the Monty hotel, Prikra 218 / 4, Marianske Lazne.
The tournament halls for 50+ open category are situated at the Cristal palace hotel, Hlavni trida 61 /66, Marianske
Lazne (first boards) and at the Continental hotel, Hlavni trida 230 / 88, Marianske Lazne (last boards).
The tournament hall for women categories 65+ and 50+ is situated at the Bohemia hotel, Hlavni trida 100 / 40,
Marianske Lazne.
For me this is a real deal-breaker and I think I may not be going. I certainly wouldn't want to play the 50+ in one place and not be able to see the top boards being played in another venue.

On the women's events it says:
The women tournaments will be played separately if there are more than 10 participants in total from at least two
continents. If there are less than 10 participants 65+, then there will be only one women tournament 50+ with
separate prizes. If the women participants are less than 10 in total or from less than 2 continents, they will play in
the open tournaments with separate prizes.
That is possibly an improvement as they tend to get only female entries from Europe (including Georgia) and last year's 65+ was a round-robin of ten players; in 2014 there was one Swiss for all the women. I think they would do better to put the women and men together because that way they might get more female entries from players 1800-2100. What tended to happen the last two years was that lots of WIMs and WGMs from the former USSR entered early, deterring others from entering,

Also new, I think, is that the second and third place in each event (both age groups, male and female) will get the IM title if they don't already have that (or GM).

THEN IN 2017:
EU Senior Teams in Novi Sad, Serbia, 17-25 March. This year's event in an attractive venue in late Spring was poorly supported so I cannot foresee much appeal here (except it might be cheap).

World Senior Teams in Eretria, Greece, 28 April-7 May. Unless the venue changes (which could happen) this is where the EU Senior Individual was played last year.

EU Senior Individual in Barcelona. 11-21 August.

World Senior Individual in Italy, 6-19 Nov 2017: the FIDE calendar now shows that this event originally announced for Venice has been switched to the 2015 venue, Acqui Terme.
Charming town but hard to get to, bad internet infrastructure, terrible organising team, a lot of problems for people last year.
Health and finances permitting, I definitely will go to Barcelona instead.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Tim Harding

Re: Future World and EU senior events

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:59 pm

Following a briefing last Monday in Radebeul, by Dirk Jordan and Johann Poecksteiner, I can add to the above that some provisional 2018 information is available, decided at a recent ECU meeting.

April 2018 exact dates TBC: EU Senior Teams in Wałbrzych, Lower Silesia, Poland (formerly German Waldenburg).

EU Senior Individual 2018 option granted to Norway, no more details yet, TBC at the FIDE Congress later this year.

World 2018 Senior Teams back in Dresden around the same time as this year (late June/early July).
They have several bids for the 2018 World Individual so no decision yet.

They also said that the EU Senior Teams 2017 in Serbia might be moved from Novi Sad; decisions will be taken first about this year's EU Club Cup I think.

There was considerable criticism voiced at he meeting concerning the move back to Acqui Terme in 2017. Maybe FIDE will bring pressure to improve the conditions for players but I doubt they will change the venue.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:11 pm

Tim Harding wrote: There was considerable criticism voiced at he meeting concerning the move back to Acqui Terme in 2017. Maybe FIDE will bring pressure to improve the conditions for players but I doubt they will change the venue.
Can you elaborate? I was thinking that anywhere but Germany would be good.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:10 am

Tim Harding wrote:They also said that the EU Senior Teams 2017 in Serbia might be moved from Novi Sad; decisions will be taken first about this year's EU Club Cup I think.
I would be interested to know if there was any uncertainty about this year's European Club Cup. I was told by the ECU (Theo) four weeks ago that all was fine with Belgrade and was even given the cost of the hotels. The regulations were due to be published after last weekend's ECU meeting but have yet to appear.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:23 am

I think what they said the Senior event arrangements would be finalised by the Serbs only after they had completed the arrangements for the Club Cup, or perhaps that the arrangements for the 2017 event would be announced at the Club Cup. I'm not sure as they only gave an English summary of what was said in German.
Tim Harding

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:45 am

Tim Harding wrote:I think what they said the Senior event arrangements would be finalised by the Serbs only after they had completed the arrangements for the Club Cup, or perhaps that the arrangements for the 2017 event would be announced at the Club Cup. I'm not sure as they only gave an English summary of what was said in German.
The 2016 ECC regulations have now been released and the event is now back in Novi Sad.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:38 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Tim Harding wrote:I think what they said the Senior event arrangements would be finalised by the Serbs only after they had completed the arrangements for the Club Cup, or perhaps that the arrangements for the 2017 event would be announced at the Club Cup. I'm not sure as they only gave an English summary of what was said in German.
The 2016 ECC regulations have now been released and the event is now back in Novi Sad.
That's probably a good thing, except for the longer journey. My club (TCD) has qualified for the first time and will probably enter but I don't expect to go. They should have enough keen young players. At least it is doubtful I would play both that and the Senior World Individual which starts soon afterwards.
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:22 pm

Reykjavik has just announced 19-27 April as next year's dates for their Open.
This effectively rules out playing in both that and the World Senior Teams starting in Greece on 28 April 2017. Except for the wealthy and those who fancy three weeks away from home playing chess, though I suppose the transition from cold to warm weather is better than the other way round.
Tim Harding

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:25 pm

Tim Harding wrote:World Individual Senior 2016 at Marianske Lazne, Czech Republic 18 Nov- 1 Dec.
A regulations PDF is now available for that online:
https://www.fide.com/images/stories/FID ... C_2016.pdf

Beer should be good i but expect cold weather?

Advance payments are required a bit further in advance than was the case last year.
FIDE entry fee: Each player has to pay 70 EUR as FIDE entry fee.
Registration fee: Each player has to pay 80 EUR as registration fee for the event. It includes registration and
accreditation.
FIDE entry fee and registration fee together with the payment for the hotel booking must be paid simultaneously
with the application. The payment must be made by bank transfer. Invited players or their federations will also
pay.
The registration period ends on 30th September 2016, after that the FIDE entry fee is 140 EUR.
Further on in the document it explains that the hotel deposit payable in advance is 150 EUR so that's a total of 300 Euro to be paid by 30 Sept.
Moreover all advance payments are non-refundable. As it's not unknown for senior players to get ill/have accidents so need to withdraw you will need good travel insurance. It's all becoming rather Draconian.

A most unattractive detail is that they won't even play the tournaments at the same venue and the 50+ is even split between two different hotels:
The tournament hall for 65+ open category is situated at the Monty hotel, Prikra 218 / 4, Marianske Lazne.
The tournament halls for 50+ open category are situated at the Cristal palace hotel, Hlavni trida 61 /66, Marianske
Lazne (first boards) and at the Continental hotel, Hlavni trida 230 / 88, Marianske Lazne (last boards).
The tournament hall for women categories 65+ and 50+ is situated at the Bohemia hotel, Hlavni trida 100 / 40,
Marianske Lazne.
For me this is a real deal-breaker and I think I may not be going.
You may not be the only one
Chessbase article in German

"Do we live in the country Absurdistan ...?"
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:30 am

Tim Harding wrote: THEN IN 2017:

World Senior Teams in Eretria, Greece, 28 April-7 May. Unless the venue changes (which could happen) this is where the EU Senior Individual was played last year.
The venue has indeed changed for this as FIDE have just announced:

The World Team Chess Championship 50+, 65+ 2017 will be held in Hersonissos, Crete (Greece), on the southern coast of the Aegean Sea. The dates are 23 April (arrival, technical meeting) to 3 May 2017 (departure).

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... -2017.html

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:18 am

Chris Rice wrote:FIDE have just announced:

The World Team Chess Championship 50+, 65+ 2017 will be held in Hersonissos, Crete (Greece), on the southern coast of the Aegean Sea. The dates are 23 April (arrival, technical meeting) to 3 May 2017 (departure).

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... -2017.html
Thanks for that. Yes, I pointed out a few weeks ago (in the World Senior Championships 2016 thread) that the event had been moved to Crete, with slightly different dates (which overlap with Reykjavik), but there was no specific venue stated until now.

Hersonissos is a modern tourist resort on the north coast of Crete, about half an hour by road eastwards from Iraklion, and a bit west of Malia, where there is (or was) a major Minoan archaeological site. I spent two weeks there in 1984 but it's probably much developed since.
Tim Harding