British Senior Championships 2016

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Michael Farthing

Re: British Senior Championships 2016

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:06 pm

I think it has been suggested that such players would be able to play two games on the one day: perhaps a different timetable for that day to accommodate this. Might be a bit of a marathon.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:44 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Paul Habershon wrote: - 50+ as a 'senior' age is ridiculous. Even amateur golf tends to be 55+.
You have hit the nail on the head by inserting the word "amateur". If the British seniors are intended as an event for amateurs, then I think you are right. Are they intended in that way? I'm guessing that Britain's top over 50 players probably would prefer to play in the main event, so I would say yes.
In which case the seniors events should be restricted to those age-qualified players who are not also eligible for the main event.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: Looks like you have got your wish with 7 rounds in the tournaments, Sun to Sat week 1 and Sat to Fri week 2
They haven't said which way round they are. At Warwick the O65 was first week and the O50 second.

If they overlap in time, presumably anyone wanting to play both will have to take a half point bye in round 1 of the second or withdraw after round 6 of the earlier one. I don't think Warwick featured that many playing in both.
I see the tournament schedule is now available at:
http://www.britishchesschampionships.co ... e-2016.pdf

However it is nonsense at the moment so far as the time controls are stated.

The 65+ championship will be played Sunday 24 July-Saturday 30 July, so 7 rounds, start time not stated. It says it will be FIDE rated.

The time limit however is ridiculous. Under session it says: G/20 + 10. If I read that correctly, they mean to make the championship a rapid tournament in which players have 20 minutes to start plus 10 seconds increment per move. So it could perhaps be a FDIE rated rapid but that would usually be 15/10?

"Shurely shome mishtake?" That rate games would be over in under an hour and who would pay for 7 nights' accommodation to play a rapid tournament at the rate of one game per day?

For the 50+ championship (30 July-5 August, also 7 rounds) they have "G/50 + 10" which so far as I understand it is too slow for a FIDE rated rapid and much too slow for a FIDE rated classical.

For the sub-150 Seniors the document says Over 50 U150 five rounds, 25-29 July with G3/2 which is a blitz rate and for the Over 65s it says five rounds 1-5 August, also claiming to be FIDE rated, with no time control listed.

It looks as if somebody has blundered here. I have also posted this notices message on the ECF forum so that it may get noticed by people who have the power to change things or to correct the document, if (as I suspect) it is just the document that's wrong.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:30 pm

Tim Harding wrote: I see the tournament schedule is now available at:

I think you've misunderstood the table. To me, it's saying that all events in blue are 40/90 +G30 + 30', all events in green are G90 + 30', etc., so all the Senior's events are one of these time controls.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:44 pm

Tim Harding wrote:I see the tournament schedule is now available at:

What is wrong with 40/90 + G/30 + 30? It's the standard FIDE time control.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Why is the last round of the over 65 and the first round of over 50 at the same time.

Does that mean the winner of the over 65 cannot enter the over 50 (unless he takes a bye)

Or somebody over 65 cannot enter the over 50?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:46 pm

Alan Walton wrote:Why is the last round of the over 65 and the first round of over 50 at the same time.

Does that mean the winner of the over 65 cannot enter the over 50 (unless he takes a bye)

Presumably to fit the requested 7 rounds into the schedule

I'd imagine first round bye for week 2, for those eligible and wanting to play both, makes sense
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:08 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:

I think you've misunderstood the table. To me, it's saying that all events in blue are 40/90 +G30 + 30', all events in green are G90 + 30', etc., so all the Senior's events are one of these time controls.
OK, I am also being told on the Other forum that I have misunderstood the colour coding but it's still not entirely clear:
a) what do the entries in the RH column under "Session" meean? (The ones I thought were the time control.)

b) On the other place I was told "it is explained elsewhere" but no link was provided and I wonder can anyone provide it?

If it's 40/90 +G30 + 30' I will consider playing. That's what we have for the World Seniors.

Almost nobody entered both 50+ and 65+ this year and some of them only played one round in the second event so I guess they reasoned the demand to play both would be very small. Maybe they would allow a half point bye in the first round of the 50+ if somebody really wished to play both.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote:

OK, I am also being told on the Other forum that I have misunderstood the colour coding but it's still not entirely clear:
a) what do the entries in the RH column under "Session" meean? (The ones I thought were the time control.)

b) On the other place I was told "it is explained elsewhere" but no link was provided and I wonder can anyone provide it?

If it's 40/90 +G30 + 30' I will consider playing. That's what we have for the World Seniors.

Almost nobody entered both 50+ and 65+ this year and some of them only played one round in the second event so I guess they reasoned the demand to play both would be very small. Maybe they would allow a half point bye in the first round of the 50+ if somebody really wished to play both.
When I said that it was "explained elsewhere", I was intending to refer to Ian Thompson's post here (which you have quoted).

The entries under "Session" decode the colours under "Key" to their immediate left. So tournaments shown in blue, including both the main Senior events, are played at 40/90 +G/30 + 30''. Tournaments shown in green are played at G/90 + 30'', and so on.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:27 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Ian Thompson wrote:

They are the time control. For example,

1. Round 1 of the over 65 starts at 14:30 on 24 July with a time control of 40/90 +G30 + 30' (because it's in blue and is a "P" event)
2. Round 1 of the under 16 starts at 09:15 on 24 July with a time control of G90 + 30' (because it's in green and is an "A" event)
Tim Harding wrote:b) On the other place I was told "it is explained elsewhere" but no link was provided and I wonder can anyone provide it?
I assume David meant my post here which you've quoted above.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:54 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Alan Walton wrote:Why is the last round of the over 65 and the first round of over 50 at the same time.

Presumably to fit the requested 7 rounds into the schedule

I'd imagine first round bye for week 2, for those eligible and wanting to play both, makes sense
I know the bye would make sense, but if you are challenging for titles on both fronts I would like to play all games and not having this opportunity seems problem

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Should we assume that Alan Walton intends to play in both the over 65 and over 50 British Seniors Championships at Bournemouth 2016?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:46 pm

Alan may be concerned about the schedule for 2040
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:13 pm

I believe the 65+ Championship began at 2.30pm today. The first round pairings can be seen at:
http://chess-results.com/tnr231043.aspx ... =30&wi=821

As the Championship proper doesn't begin until tomorrow they could have had live boards, but appear not to have done so,

The tournament is not mentioned on the list of today's events at http://www.britishchesschampionships.co.uk/

At the time of writing round 10 (of 11) in the Rapid is in progress and Richard Pert leads with 8.5/10 but there is one player whom he has already met who could equal that score,

http://chess-results.com/tnr231117.aspx ... =30&wi=821
Tim Harding

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:16 pm

It's a poor show when the list of today's events fails to mention a national championship event in which numerous distinguished and long-standing dedicated British chess volunteers are taking part.

I agree with Tim, the vacant live boards should be used today for the over-65.