Dates for 2016 senior events

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Craig Pritchett

Re: Dates for 2016 senior events

Post by Craig Pritchett » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Why no non-euro team in the third, so-called 'world' team championship?

Well perhaps there is still some time to prove that this new fide venture might live up to its name!? It remains on course, however, to becoming a third successive emperor with no clothes. At present it seems to be no more in effect than a third 'second' euro teams event held each year, as were the last two such events.

I think the 'world's' team event isn't a bad idea. But perhaps it would be better all round if it was contested every 2nd year, with continental events held in alternate years. That would also reduce the current seniors international events congestion (4 per year rather than the more successful, old-regime 3).

Seniors have been asked to consider playing in 3 international events held rapidly in succession this year ... Late April, May and June. Is this a truly sustainable structure going forward?

And, yes: I still believe demand to play in these events would increase if the 65+ sections were replaced by the old 60+ sections. But that's a different point.

Good news!? It seems likely that there will be an open meeting at Radebeul to discuss these as well as a range of other price/quality issues.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:26 pm

It looks as though there will effectively be two European Senior Team events in 2017, one for early risers and one for party animals. Not the worst plan.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:15 pm

NickFaulks wrote:It looks as though there will effectively be two European Senior Team events in 2017, one for early risers and one for party animals. Not the worst plan.
I'll wish you the best in the latter then :wink:

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:57 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tim Harding wrote: The good news is that the Greeks will run the World Senior Teams in 2017
That sounds great and I hope it happens. If so, look out for competition from Bernuda.
Of course things can change on the FIDE Calendar but at present it has:

World Team Chess Championship 50+, 65+ 2017 Eretria, Greece 28-Apr-2017 7-May-2017

That's an island resort a few miles NE of Athens.
So can we hope for a traditional Bermuda party there?

The calendar also says:
World Senior Championships 2017 Venice, Italy 6-Nov-2017 19-Nov-2017

European Senior Team Chess Championship 2017 Novi Sad, Serbia 17-Mar-2017 25-Mar-2017
European Senior Chess Championship 2017 Barcelona, Spain 11-Aug-2017 21-Aug-3017

The ECC calendar says the same, but if there is a change it would probably appear first in the ECC newsletter and then the ECC calendar.

On the other point, I think there was one non-European team last year in the Worlds (Argentina but I forget whether it was 50+ or 65+).
Perhaps the problem is that all the bids FIDE gets for its World senior events are from European countries. If they got a reasonable bid from Asia or the Americas, at least for the individuals, it would make for variety - though perhaps a smaller entry.

One of the small rich Gulf states could easily afford to run it but maybe the problem is that there are not enough active senior players in Asia?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Tim Harding wrote: One of the small rich Gulf states could easily afford to run it but maybe the problem is that there are not enough active senior players in Asia?
No, there are loads of them. The problem is that Asia ( which includes Australasia ) is very big.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.