2015 European Senior Chess Championship

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Tim Harding

Re: 2015 European Senior Chess Championship

Post by Tim Harding » Fri May 01, 2015 7:37 pm

So Keith and Terry drew their games today (the latter was really wild) and John Nunn seemed to have a comfortable win where his opponent played desperately slowly in the early middle game.
So tomorrow it's Nunn v Sturua, a chance for John to reverse the result from Katerini last year.
Bruno also won, in a long queen endgame, and will have White against Keith tomorrow.

In the 65+ Jan Rooze of Belgium is now the only player on 100 per cent. Tomorrow's top board game Kupreichik-Rooze could have a big influence on the final result. Rooze is one of the youngest players in the tournament (born 1947) but Kupreichik (1949) is even younger. They both did well in the Worlds last year and I wouldn't look much down the list for a potential champion.

Vasiukov and Gaprindashvili also both play on live boards tomorrow so it should be a good afternoon's viewing.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat May 02, 2015 11:53 am

Good luck today to Keith, John and Terry!

I see from Nigel Short's article in the latest New In Chess that next year's World Teams may not be in Dresden (28 Feb-8 Mar 2016) as still stated on the FIDE chess calendar. Nigel's article says it's to be in Saxony and maybe the dates have also changed?

Can those of you on the spot in Eretria please try to find out if there is definite information on venue and dates yet for next year's World Teams and also the European individual and teams? Thanks.
Hoping to see you all at the World Individuals in November.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Sat May 02, 2015 2:33 pm

"I see from Nigel Short's article in the latest New In Chess that next year's World Teams may not be in Dresden (28 Feb-8 Mar 2016) as still stated on the FIDE chess calendar. Nigel's article says it's to be in Saxony and maybe the dates have also changed? "

The German organisers informed everyone playing in this years Championship that next year’s tournament would be held at RADEBEUL.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... eport.html

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat May 02, 2015 2:52 pm

Ken Norman wrote:The German organisers informed everyone playing in this years Championship that next year’s tournament would be held at RADEBEUL.

Thanks, Ken. It's a pity that wasn't posted here at the time.

So two months later the FIDE calendar hasn't been updated, presumably because the official award of the event was to Dresden.

It would be good to have definite dates as I am trying to organise an Irish team for 2016, at least for the 65+ and I now have to inform several people that it won't be Dresden and possibly not the same time of year.
Tim Harding

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sat May 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Tim, did a bit of checking and found Radebeul is a suburb of Dresden. Its just under 11 km from Dresden city centre. By a strange quirk of fate Warwick University is almost the exact same distance from Warwick. Though of course the British this year is in Coventry apparently.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sat May 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Ken Norman wrote:The German organisers informed everyone playing in this years Championship that next year’s tournament would be held at RADEBEUL.

Thanks, Ken. It's a pity that wasn't posted here at the time.

So two months later the FIDE calendar hasn't been updated, presumably because the official award of the event was to Dresden.

It would be good to have definite dates as I am trying to organise an Irish team for 2016, at least for the 65+ and I now have to inform several people that it won't be Dresden and possibly not the same time of year.
Sorry, but you're all mistaken. EDIT: Ooops, sorry, Chris. I should have refreshed before posting.

Admittedly I have the advantage over you here. 15 years ago I worked for a startup which was a joint venture between a software company and an old fashioned German printing press company called Planeta ag. Planeta was/is based in Radebeul. Radebeul? Where is that? It is a suburb of Dresden. So, there is no more of a contradiction than there would be in saying that the world's premier tennis tournament is played in London and in Wimbledon.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat May 02, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks for that info, Brian. According to Wikipedia, which I don't unreservedly trust, a local government reorganisation means that Radebeul is technically no longer part of Dresden but is accessible from the city by tram or S-bahn...

I am still hoping somebody can tell me whether the dates have changed and/or whether there is news of next year's EU seniors.

The FIDE calendar says next year's EU senior teams will also be in Eretria, but no dates, and next year's EU individual is not spoken for at all...

Meanwhile, contrary to what the unreliable Chessdom says, Keith did beat Fabio with Black and has White against John Nunn tomorrow.
Why John agreed such a short draw with Sturua I cannot explain.

Sturua plays Fabio tomorrow and the group on 3 also includes Terry Chapman who should be on a live board tomorrow after winning with Black today. He will be Black against GM Fernandes whom John beat yesterday.

In the 65+ Rooze drew with Kupreichik and tomorrow has White against the legend, Nona. Vasiukov is also on 3.5 after winning today.
Tim Harding

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sat May 02, 2015 11:06 pm

I won in 103 moves

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun May 03, 2015 12:04 am

Keith Arkell wrote:I won in 103 moves
Slacker :)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun May 03, 2015 1:12 am

Haha :) Here's the moves, as there seems to have been a malfunction elsewhere:

Last edited by IM Jack Rudd on Sun May 03, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun May 03, 2015 6:44 am

A nice miniature there from Keith, much appreciated. Round 5 pairings:

50+ Euro old gits Open

1 GM Arkell Keith C 2493 3½ 3½ GM Nunn John D M 2601
2 GM Sturua Zurab 2536 3½ 3 IM Bruno Fabio 2418
3 IM Petran Peter 2362 3 3 IM Bellia Fabrizio 2433
4 GM Fernandes Antonio 2369 3 3 FM Chapman Terry P D 2258
5 WGM Mednikova Svetlana 2170 3 3 IM Berkovich Mark A 2362

65+ Dribblers Open

1 IM Rooze Jan 2281 3½ 3½ GM Gaprindashvili Nona 2302
2 GM Vasiukov Evgeni 2416 3½ 3 IM Schouten Nico 2197
3 Gundersen Helge 2153 3 3 GM Kupreichik Viktor D 2373
4 Strand Kjetil 2013 3 3 GM Pushkov Nikolai 2313
5 Stokes Michael 2135 2½ 2½ Pedersen Jan Rode 2208
6 FM Gruzmann Boris 2200 2½ 2½ Muratoglu Salih 1960

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun May 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Thanks for posting the moves, Keith. Did John Nunn's game really end at 14 axb5 as shown online?

All the live boards on Chessdom freeze once a player's time is shown to be down to zero, though obviously the time being displayed cannot be right.
It's a pity as it deprives us grey voyeurs of the fun of watching a time-scramble in real time.
Maybe there is something the organisers can do to stop this happening (i.e. select to show the moves whatever the time reading is) or is it the fault of the software?

After about an hour, during which only one game was continuing (because neither player had reduced to zero time), and presumably following intervention by somebody on the spot, some games resumed at ChessDom and an incorrect result in the 65+ was corrected.

But sometime after Keith's 44th move (I wasn't watching non-stop) all but the early moves vanished and the game was shown as a draw. Still not corrected today, but chess-results.com eventually showed the correct results and pairings.
Tim Harding

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Sun May 03, 2015 1:02 pm

You're welcome, Tim, and yes I think they did John's game correctly.

I seem to have a bad effect on softwear, e.g. at the Isle of Man and Blackpool Opens I became 'Keith Allen'. Maybe the technology is developing consciousness and throwing it's toys out of it's pram at the length of my games? :twisted:

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun May 03, 2015 2:11 pm

No surprise; Keith and John had a 10-move draw in nothing flat today.
The fight for the title really starts tomorrow though Sturua-Bruno is an important game.

Terry's game is on live today. After 10 moves he had more time than he started with:
1 d4 d6 2 e4 Nf6 3 Nc3 g6 4 Nge2 Bg7 5 g3 O-O 6 Bg2 e5 7 h3 c6 8 a4 exd4 9 Nxd4 Na6 10 O-O Nb4

In the 65+ top board, Rooze offered Gaprindashvili a pawn at move 6 but the engines say it's sound and she declined:
1 e4 b6 2 d4 Bb7 3 Bd3 e6 4 Nf3 d6 5 O-O Ne7 6 d5 e5
Tim Harding

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun May 03, 2015 2:30 pm

Keith deserves a rest after his exertions in the previous round and the Doctor is probably still recuperating from his birthday bash. I predict a solid draw for Terry today as he is playing a patently patient opening strategy.