SENIORS TOURNAMENTS 2015

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Ken Norman

SENIORS TOURNAMENTS 2015

Post by Ken Norman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:45 pm

The European Chess Union Calendar has published the following information about 2015.

EUROPEAN SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP

Date. 13th April 2015 to 22nd April 2015

Venue: Porto Carras, Greece.

EUROPEAN SENIOR TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

Date. 11th July 2015 to 19th July 2015

Venue: Vienna, Austria.

NickFaulks

Re: SENIORS TOURNAMENTS 2015

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 pm

I received this information in an email from the ECF headed "Massage from Stewart Reuben".

I'm not sure who their target market is, but you can't say they're not trying everything.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Walker

Post by Andrew Walker » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Massage is optional, of course
:)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:22 pm

World Senior Team Chess Championship 2015 Dresden, Germany 24-Feb-2015 4-Mar-2015

World Senior Championships 2015 Acqui Terme, Italy 9-Nov-2015 22-Nov-2015

European Senior Championship 2015 Halkidiki, Greece 30-Apr-2015 10-May-2015

European Senior Team Championship 2015 Vienna, Austria 12-Jul-2015 20-Jul-2015

according to
http://www.fide.com/index.php?option=co ... ar&ny=2015
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
European Senior Championship 2015 Halkidiki, Greece 30-Apr-2015 10-May-2015

European Senior Team Championship 2015 Vienna, Austria 12-Jul-2015 20-Jul-2015
The date of the European Team has not changed so that stated in the original posting by Mr Norman seems to be incorrect but maybe this will be clarified later. Stewart Reuben says the age group will be 60+, the old rule, which means anyone born not later than 31 Dec 1955 will be eligible.

Please note that the dates stated by Mick Norris are correct according to
http://www.ecuonline.net/

The European senior individual (50+ and 65+ I think) has been moved a couple of weeks later than originally announced but the FIDE calendar gives the dates as 28 April-8 May. The originally announced dates and venue were the same as the World Amateurs (13-22 April) for which the eligibility rule is not to have had a rating 2000+ in the past three years.
Evidently the plan was to run the two events side by side and maybe that will still be the case, so watch out for further changes,

The ECU has announced that the venue for the EU senior individual will be Porto Carras which is on the Halkidiki peninsula, near Thessaloniki in Greece. I was at the World Seniors in Oct/Nov near Katerini, about an hour west of Thessaloniki. If it's the same organising team it will be a very well run event, but closer to the airport and hopefully with better weather.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:12 am

Jersey 2015 is being held from 15-20 March and we would like to award a Seniors Prize. What age limit should we choose?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:59 am

Adam Raoof wrote:Jersey 2015 is being held from 15-20 March and we would like to award a Seniors Prize. What age limit should we choose?
Either 60+ or 65+ but definitely not 50+.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Craig Pritchett

Post by Craig Pritchett » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:00 pm

Can anyone (Stewart R!? perhaps) explain why FIDE/ECU scheduled the 2015 Euro Teams in Iceland (ie not the seniors event) to overlap with 2015 world individual seniors 50+ and 65+ championships?

As there may be many 50+ players who would like to play in both events (possibly Nigel Short!?) and probably many more who might be going along to the Euro Teams as coaches, why is this?

Even 65+ players have competed in such 'open age' events, including recent Olympiads (Kurajica certainly springs to mind), and the likes of Jansa is invariably a coach at such events.

By the way, the 2013 Euro teams overlapped with that year's 60+ world championship, with similar impacts, so it's not as if ECU/FIDE didn't know this might be a recurring problem in 2015.

Still think we should revert asap to have 60+ events in place of these widely unloved 65+ championships ... still don't mind if ECU/FIDE wish to have 50+ events as well ...

... but given such persisting overlaps, as noted above, are even ECU/FIDE serious about trying to make the 50+ events work?

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:19 pm

Ken Norman wrote:The European Chess Union Calendar has published the following information about 2015.

EUROPEAN SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP

Date. 13th April 2015 to 22nd April 2015

Venue: Porto Carras, Greece.
Actually it's now definite that the European Senior Individual Championship will not be in Porto Carras, Halkidiki,
and nor are those dates (as originally announced) correct.

The chief organiser Nikos Kalesis has emailed me the revised details.

The Championships will be held in Eretria on the island of Evia (90 Km from Athens) from April 28 (arrival) to May 8 (departure).
Nine rounds without a rest day, afternoon play.

3-star and 4-star hotel packages at the resort are on offer.

For full details see http://www.europechess.org/15th-europea ... riagreece/
Tim Harding

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:27 pm

Limited information (not much in English yet) is available on the World Senior Individuals in Acqui Terme, Piedmont, Italy, 9-22 November.
http://www.fide.com/images/stories/NEWS ... ations.pdf

Closing date for registration is 15 October. Tournaments along the same lines as last year (50+, 65+ and women's) except that perhaps there will be a choice of accommodation this time.
The venue is a convention centre, not a hotel.

Local organisers have put some information in Italian only:
http://www.scaccomattissimo.it/seniores2015/

German and British flags top right of the page suggest that translated versions may follow.
Tim Harding

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:17 am

Craig Pritchett wrote:Still think we should revert asap to have 60+ events in place of these widely unloved 65+ championships ... still don't mind if ECU/FIDE wish to have 50+ events as well ...
Given the medical advances leading to greater life expectancy along with much improved health and quality of life in old age, shouldn't the move be towards higher age limits? Say 60+ and 70+? Now at 50 you're only marginally past your prime. My highest rating came in my mid 50's having first had a BCF rating in my teens.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:29 am

Brian Towers wrote:
Craig Pritchett wrote:Still think we should revert asap to have 60+ events in place of these widely unloved 65+ championships ... still don't mind if ECU/FIDE wish to have 50+ events as well ...
Given the medical advances leading to greater life expectancy along with much improved health and quality of life in old age, shouldn't the move be towards higher age limits? Say 60+ and 70+? Now at 50 you're only marginally past your prime. My highest rating came in my mid 50's having first had a BCF rating in my teens.
I tend to agree with Brian. Of course the clashes Craig mentions are unfortunate but the chess calendar is getting very crowded.
I hope FIDE will start 70+ events in 2018 so I can be in the youngest cohort again!

It's good to see GM Uhlmann (80 this year) playing board 3 in the top match in the 50+ tournament today, though he could have been in a 65+ team. But he was/is an exceptionally strong player.

There was one prize in last year's 65+ individual for the best result by a player aged 75 or over, maybe they should have two or three. I think Vasiukov won it. I would also like to see other big opens having age group prizes.
Tim Harding

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:38 am

England achieved 6 medals in the World Senior Team Championships in Dresden. See the ECF website for full details. Herewith notes on further opportunities this year.

European Senior Chess Championship 50+ (born in 1965 or earlier); 65+ (born in 1950 or earlier)
All English players must be ECF gold card members or above. If you do not have a FIDE Rating, you must get a FIDE code from Andrew Walker [email protected]. The date of birth and full name is needed.
Details: http://www.europechess.org/wp-content/u ... 15_inv.pdf
Arrival 28 April, departure 8 May.
Play takes place 29 April to 7 May from 16.00 daily, except the last round 14.00.
40 moves in 90 minutes, + 30 minutes for the rest of the game, + 30 seconds per move cumulatively from the start. Default time 30 minutes after start of play.
Playing venue: Eretria Village Hotel, Greece. Quite near Athens.
Accommodation 10 nights b&d double $470 pp, single €630 these prices hold until 16 March.
There is an all inclusive option available for a further €100. That includes the second meal, snacks, coffee, drink in restaurant and bar.
If done by 16 March upfront is required €120 in entry fees + 30% of the hotel cost. Pay the rest on arrival.
Warning the organisers don't take credit or debit cards. There may not be an ATM nearby. Thus it is easier either to pay the full sum on entry or the 70% just before leaving home.
The ECF is prepared to help with the transfer of funds. Telephone Andrew Walker at the ECF Office, tell him the sum to be paid in Euros and he will change that to pounds. Then use your credit or debit card to pay the ECF.
Your flights are your own responsibility. Some people are flying from Heathrow (BA) and others Gatwick (Easyjet). Make certain you have the hold luggage you will require.
European Senior Team Chess Championship 60+ (born in 1955 or earlier). Note, this is a different eligibility from the European Individual.
Details: www.estcc2015.at
Arrival 11, departure 21 July, or late on the 20th.
Play round 1 15.00, 10.00 all other days.
Entry fee €100 per team. Registration fee per player €40 if by 31 March. After that €60 pp.
Playing venue Hotel Airo Wien, Kurbadstrasse 8, 1100 Vienna, Austria.
Accommodation b&b double €40 pp, single €60 including satellite TV, wifi and free admission to Therme Wien Spa. The hotel is suburban and situated in a park. When registering 30% must be paid upfront. Payment can be done exactly as with the European Championship above.
The taxi transfer from the airport is 29 and it is 18 km.
So far 7 people have said it is likely they will play and 3 possible. Could you please make it clear what your intention are as soon as possible. Please communicate with both Roger Scowen [email protected] and me [email protected]
British Senior Chess Championships The whole congress is 25 July to 8 August at the University of Warwick. http://www.britishchesschampionships.co.uk/2015/
50+ 2-7.8. 65+ 27.7-1.8. 50+ U150 27-31.7. 65+ U150 3-7.8
Beacon Seniors. 2-6 November, Exmouth, Devon 50+ and 65+
World Senior Individual. 9-22 November. Acqui Terme, Italy.
Details (not much available as of March): http://www.scaccomattissimo.it/seniores2015/
The entry fee is €80 if by 15.10, after that €140. The FIDE fee is €70.

Stewart Reuben

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:00 am

Earlier in this thread Craig Pritchett asked about the overlaps that one sees internationally in chess events. I see little sign of rational thinking among the schedulers. e.g. Originally the European Championship in Jerusalem was scheduled to coincide with Gibraltar.
Arguably there are now too many chess events aiming at the same market.
Had they ever consulted about the age groups for seniors, given they wanted to attract the 50+; 50+, 60+would have been a logical on the part of the customers. Replacing the 60+ by 65+ has caused problems. Since juniors go in 2 years steps, U20, U18, U16, U14, U12, U10, U8; 50+ and 60+ cannot be too close together. I believe the ECU has the objective of being different from FIDE. Thus there ridiculous rule for last year and this year for the team championship reverting to 60+ and just on group in Vienna.
The 50+ individual seems now to be established. Keith Arkell played a big part in that.
The Qualification Commission was consulted, but my response was flippant. I suggested the equivalent of 76+ this year, 77+ next year and so on. You can possibly guess my age.