FIDE changes to SENIORS CHESS

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Ken Norman

FIDE changes to SENIORS CHESS

Post by Ken Norman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm

The changes to Seniors Chess being introduced by FIDE in July 2014 Present the British Chess Championships with a problem.

Do they follow the dictate of FIDE and have two tournaments one for those aged 50 to 65 and another for those over 65 or ignore FIDE and retain the existing rule of 60 years for male Seniors and 50 for female Seniors.

Presumably if the ECF adopts the new FIDE rules they will also have to run two U130 and U150 Seniors Championships

I have not seen any explanation of this latest idea from FIDE and cannot understand why FIDE wish to introduce these changes.

Although it would be an advantage for me not to have to play any under 65 year old “Juniors”. I hope the ECF will retain the existing 60 old limit and ignore this latest FIDE idea.

Barry Sandercock

Re: FIDE changes to SENIORS CHESS

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:39 pm

I'd vote for an over 80's championship !

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:I'd vote for an over 80's championship !

Barry,

How about an all play all tournament with:

Yourself, Leonard Barden, Jonathan Penrose, Michael Franklin and Michael Haygarth?

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:03 pm

How many byes can I take ?

Ken Norman

Post by Ken Norman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:How many byes can I take ?

Barry,

You don't need any byes as you would be the highest rated player!

None of the others have a grade.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Ken Norman wrote:Do they follow the dictate of FIDE and have two tournaments one for those aged 50 to 65 and another for those over 65 or ignore FIDE and retain the existing rule of 60 years for male Seniors and 50 for female Seniors.
As I said elsewhere, we'll think about it and make a decision by the time the entry form comes out.
Ken Norman wrote:Presumably if the ECF adopts the new FIDE rules they will also have to run two U130 and U150 Seniors Championships
Why?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:21 am

"Presumably if the ECF adopts the new FIDE rules they will also have to run two U130 and U150 Seniors Championships"

Unfortunately, they might decide to run one event then have separate prizes, like the farce where people can become woman or junior champions by playing in a completely different event. If the "winner" of a tournament is only getting 50 % or less, the vagaries of the Swiss system render the result somewhat random.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:30 am

Good initiative by the Association of Chess Professionals now supported by FIDE to give $5000 each to five deserving chess veterans. No idea who the five will be but most chess professionals who have given their life to the game survive hand to mouth and don't have much of a pension to fall back on so there's plenty of deserving candidates I would have thought.

http://www.chessprofessionals.org/conte ... s-veterans

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Ken Norman wrote:The changes to Seniors Chess being introduced by FIDE in July 2014 Present the British Chess Championships with a problem.

I haven't seen anything that impinges in any way on the British Championships. What is this about?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:26 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Ken Norman wrote:The changes to Seniors Chess being introduced by FIDE in July 2014 Present the British Chess Championships with a problem.
I haven't seen anything that impinges in any way on the British Championships. What is this about?
Ken was referring to the British Senior Championship.

You need to read his second sentence:
Ken Norman wrote:Do they follow the dictate of FIDE and have two tournaments one for those aged 50 to 65 and another for those over 65 or ignore FIDE and retain the existing rule of 60 years for male Seniors and 50 for female Seniors.
For 2014 the ECF have gone for retaining the status quo. This will be reviewed for 2015.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:32 pm

NickFaulks wrote: I haven't seen anything that impinges in any way on the British Championships. What is this about?
The British Seniors Championship is currently limited to those who have or will attain the age of 60 in the year of the Championship. Should it retain that definition or switch to having two Championships, one eligible to those 50 or over and the other 65 or over?

There's a knock on effect on the British Championship itself, as an "over 50" definition potentially removes players from the leading group of the main event and thus reduces potential Norm chances. In compensation, with the right structure a British Seniors Over 50 could itself offer Norm chances.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:32 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
You need to read his second sentence:
Ken Norman wrote:Do they follow the dictate of FIDE
But what is he talking about? I genuinely have no idea.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
FIDE have changed the rules about what constitutes Seniors Chess. The issue for the ECF is whether it will stick with the previous definition for its domestic competitions or subdivide to retain international consistency. Sometimes it does follow FIDE. When FIDE changed the definition of what it meant by 60, the ECF changed with it.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
FIDE have changed the rules about what constitutes Seniors Chess.
Yes, for its own competitions. This was done in response to a demand from >50 players which I believe to be genuine. I have no idea whether British >50 players feel the same way, or whether the ECF will take their views into account. It has absolutely nothing to do with FIDE.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: When FIDE changed the definition of what it meant by 60, the ECF changed with it.
Yes. That change was completely wrong, and for the ECF to follow it blindly was unnecessary and typically pathetic.