Senior Tournaments in 2021

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Paul Robert Jackson

Re: Senior Tournaments in 2021

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:43 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 pm
There is still no word from the ECU or Poland about whether the European Seniors may happen.
Still lots of COVID Restrictions being introduced in Poland.
Paul Robert Jackson

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:26 pm

I would be very surprised if the Poles host the EU Senior Teams this year and the individuals (which were to have been held there in April 2020) look doubtful to me.
Bad Woerishofen is now definitely off this year, scheduled to return March 2022.

Since the UK is well ahead of most countries (other than Israel) on vaccinations, maybe a senior event could be organised later this year, though probably without overseas participants.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:50 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:26 pm
Since the UK is well ahead of most countries (other than Israel) on vaccinations, maybe a senior event could be organised later this year, though probably without overseas participants.
The British Championship Congress in Torquay is now not being run in 2021. That could allow the British Senior Championships to take place as stand alone events. In addition there may be the possibility of English Senior Championships.

It's going to depend on availability on venues.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:33 pm

It will be good if in this country.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:16 pm
I hadn't considered that. In order to travel around the new world, we shall need to have not one dodgy vaccination but several. We already know that the drug companies which produce them are to be given immunity against claims relating to any regrettable side effects.

No wonder they, and the menagerie of politicians and scientists they have purchased, are getting so excited.
Maybe there is supporting evidence for the above here ?

Who knows...?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:04 pm

I am considering holding the English Senior Championships in England at a venue that will become very convenient for me - if I move. The venue is 30000 sq ft and thus would normally be big enough for 150 chess players, perhaps 75 this year.

I have just this moment thought of another possibility. I, and another chess player of similar strength, are going on a British Isles cruise 14-24 September 2021 This is from Southampton, returning there. Inverness, Belfast and a couple of other places are being visited. If we had 6 players, we could have a small tournament. Vaccination is required by Cunard.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Seasickness would disqualify me from the latter proposal alas.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:19 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:43 am
Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 pm
There is still no word from the ECU or Poland about whether the European Seniors may happen.
Still lots of COVID Restrictions being introduced in Poland.
The ECU calendar is now saying Poland will host the European Senior Team Championship in August at Polanica-Zdroj, but nothing about the European Senior Individuals, which would have been a better bet I would have thought.
Anyway I found a Polish web page that confirms this (though giving slightly different dates). No English info yet and obviously all dependent on vaccines and pandemic restrictions.

On the other hand, the FIDE Calendar is still saying the World Senior Teams will be held this year in Acqui Terme, Italy, but my information from the organisers is that it will be May 2022. They told me last month that a decision about the World Individuals (Assisi in November, if it happens) will be taken in late May or early June.

For more information about these and other senior events on the continent see my calendar, updated today, and news page at:
http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors-news.html
Tim Harding

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:32 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:19 pm
They told me last month that a decision about the World Individuals (Assisi in November, if it happens) will be taken in late May or early June.
Far less appealing than Crete in summer, the way I see it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:32 pm
Far less appealing than Crete in summer, the way I see it.
I know that I have made the point before, but for some of us any ACO event is far less appealing than an officially recognised tournament.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:08 am

I do not intend to travel beyond the British Isles until the winter of 2021, if then, nor would I encourage others to do so.
I don't mind ACO event not being officially recognised by FIDE. But I do mind that they pass themselves off as being official. Also sometimes use FIDE Ratings without being part of the system.
These Italian events have not received a very good press in the past. I have no personal experience.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:47 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:44 am
I know that I have made the point before, but for some of us any ACO event is far less appealing than an officially recognised tournament.
If the equivalent FIDE event had been in Greece, as I believe would have been the preference of delegates, then I would have most likely have given it precedence. Unfortunately there was a carve-up and the FIDE event I hoped to play in was given to a less attractive bid, so I feel under no compulsion to support it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:55 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:19 pm
The ECU calendar is now saying Poland will host the European Senior Team Championship in August at Polanica-Zdroj, but nothing about the European Senior Individuals, which would have been a better bet I would have thought.
Anyway I found a Polish web page that confirms this (though giving slightly different dates). No English info yet and obviously all dependent on vaccines and pandemic restrictions.
Please also see the ECU Circular Letter at https://www.europechess.org/european-ch ... -no4-2021/.

John Hodgson

Post by John Hodgson » Thu May 06, 2021 6:18 pm

Taken from the ECF website:

"Over-the-board Finals
The ECF hopes to hold over the board finals for Open, Women’s, Seniors’ and Juniors’ Standardplay Championships in early October...Players who qualify for the online finals will be invited to take part in the OTB finals as well, once we are in a position to confirm the events. We will contact all qualifiers as soon as possible after the Online Championships to confirm details...

...Qualifications will be based on the 2021 Summer Online competition with those who qualify for a final invited to play."

Is it necessary to reduce the number of entrants for the Senior Championship? Is making entry to an OTB event dependent on a willingness to play online a reasonable idea? Should there be an additional method of qualification, e.g. on rating?

I for one might play in a OTB Senior Championship, but not if I have to play in an online tournament under the auspices of Zoom.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu May 06, 2021 6:36 pm

John Hodgson >I for one might play in a OTB Senior Championship, but not if I have to play in an online tournament under the auspices of Zoom.<
I think the qualifying refence must solely to be connected to the British Championship. The British Senior has never had a qualifying system - other than being of the right age and meeting the eligibility requirements such as membership of a British country or living at least the last year in Britain.