Senior Tournaments in 2021

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Simon Rogers

Senior Tournaments in 2021

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:28 pm

As anyone found Senior Tournaments in 2021 yet?
I have found some already.
They are provisional and will be subject to change.
I will post them shortly.

Tim Harding

Re: Senior Tournaments in 2021

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:12 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:28 pm
Have you looked at my Seniors calendar page which has been regularly updated for the last 2-3 years?

http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors-calendar.html

If you scroll down you will see some 2021 events including one in USA you mentioned.
I don't include closed events limited to players from Germany/ Austria.

Of course any event announced at this time is subject to change.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:24 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:12 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:28 pm
Have you looked at my Seniors calendar page which has been regularly updated for the last 2-3 years?

http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors-calendar.html

If you scroll down you will see some 2021 events including one in USA you mentioned.
I don't include closed events limited to players from Germany/ Austria.

Of course any event announced at this time is subject to change.
Yes. I saw your calendar a couple of days ago for the first time. Excellent website.
I was pleased that you gave me a mention with the New Zealand Seniors event.
I've found a couple of big events next year in North America, one of which has a lot of entrants already, including Evgeny Bareev.
I've also found a couple in the middle east.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:59 pm

Given the uncertainty about next year I am probably not going to post every single announced event, especially not weekend events.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:14 pm

You can go any time to http://chess-results.com/TurnierSuche.aspx?lan=1

and put "Senior" in the field for Tournament.
Searching the date range events finishing 202010 to 202112 (i.e. rest of this year and all next year) It is not showing any events for 2021 yet.
This is typically because, except for Austrian tournaments (because chess-results is an Austrian site) and major FIDE events, the organisers/arbiters only create a Swiss Manager file and chess-results entry shortly before the event takes place.

So it is not so useful for spotting minor events well in advance. And organisers who don't use Swiss Manager (now the industry standard for most international events) will not show up.

Several of the events that the search today turned up are very local and/or one-day events that don't interest me (people are not going to travel for a 1-day or weekend event).

However I do see a Lucerne senior open in November that I will add soon.
Tim Harding

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:52 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:14 pm
You can go any time to http://chess-results.com/TurnierSuche.aspx?lan=1

and put "Senior" in the field for Tournament.
Searching the date range events finishing 202010 to 202112 (i.e. rest of this year and all next year) It is not showing any events for 2021 yet.
This is typically because, except for Austrian tournaments (because chess-results is an Austrian site) and major FIDE events, the organisers/arbiters only create a Swiss Manager file and chess-results entry shortly before the event takes place.

So it is not so useful for spotting minor events well in advance. And organisers who don't use Swiss Manager (now the industry standard for most international events) will not show up.

Several of the events that the search today turned up are very local and/or one-day events that don't interest me (people are not going to travel for a 1-day or weekend event).

However I do see a Lucerne senior open in November that I will add soon.
Thanks Tim
Luzern looks interesting, but it may be it's limited to 30 players (my German is nowhere near good enough to be sure):

Anmeldeschluss 17. November 2020 (ab 30 Teilnehmern Warteliste)

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:11 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:52 pm
Luzern looks interesting, but it may be it's limited to 30 players (my German is nowhere near good enough to be sure):

That says you'll be put on a waiting list if 30 players have already entered. Elsewhere it says "maximal 30 Teilnehmer" - maximum of 30 players.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:23 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:11 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:52 pm

That says you'll be put on a waiting list if 30 players have already entered. Elsewhere it says "maximal 30 Teilnehmer" - maximum of 30 players.
Thanks - that's what I feared. There are already 27 entries, so quick decisions are required!

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:31 pm

So change to the 2020 thread!

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:37 pm

Get ready for this one.
Here it is:
According to the Canadian Chess Federation website Calendar.
30th July-3rd August Pawn Wise: The Atlantic All-Ages Chess Festival 2021.
Saint Mary's University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
11th Canadian Seniors Chess Championship
6-Round Swiss in two sections 50+/65+. Residents eligible if age 50/65 by 31st December 2021.
Foreign players U2000 welcome but cannot claim 1st Prize.
12 entrants so far:
Strongest in the 65+ Section is IM Leon Piasetski 2376.
Strongest in the 50+ Section is GM Evgeny Bareev 2721.
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Canadian Seniors added to my Seniors calendar. There's not much danger of an under-2000 foreigner winning these events by the looks of it.

This is all close to fantasy anyway.
It seems likely that by some time next year there will be several vaccines in production for Covid-19 but they may not all have been fully tested on older people or may not work so well for older people.
Still, Seniors may be among the first to be offered one, so I will get vaccinated if it's on offer, probably.

One big issue for mid-2021 may become vaccination certificates. If there are several vaccines being issued, of perhaps uncertain efficacy, will the authorities in country A accept without quarantine travellers from country B where people are being given a different vaccine?

Within the EU there will probably be some kind of protocols developed around this but whether UK, Switzerland and Norway (for example) are included could prove problematic.

So I'm hoping it might be possible to play in the latter half of next year in a Senior tournament in Germany, Poland or Italy but if things go on the way they are now, even 2022 could become doubtful.
Tim Harding

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 pm

"If there are several vaccines being issued, of perhaps uncertain efficacy, will the authorities in country A accept without quarantine travellers from country B where people are being given a different vaccine?

Within the EU there will probably be some kind of protocols developed around this but whether UK, Switzerland and Norway (for example) are included could prove problematic."

First point is very good - you don't want to turn up with a document and get told "we don't recognize this". It's more common than people might think. (Try getting a visa to visit India.)

I think Switzerland and Norway are to some extent linked to EU and may have informal agreements on some matters. You can certainly use Euros in some parts of Norway, so I hope it's not all one-way traffic. However, Norway and Switzerland have not really aggravated EU, and I suspect UK has a bit.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:02 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:03 pm
I think Switzerland and Norway are to some extent linked to EU and may have informal agreements on some matters. You can certainly use Euros in some parts of Norway, so I hope it's not all one-way traffic. However, Norway and Switzerland have not really aggravated EU, and I suspect UK has a bit.
Yes, I think British vaccination certs will be accepted in ireland and vice versa, but continental countries might make difficulties.

However if the Oxford vaccine is a success and many EU countries use it, that would probably improve the situation.

Long-haul travel could be more of an issue. Right now I don't see the postponed Chess Olympiad being played in Russia next summer (but FIDE will be broke if it doesn't) and the Tokyo olympics must be in the balance.
Tim Harding

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:16 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:21 pm
If there are several vaccines being issued, of perhaps uncertain efficacy, will the authorities in country A accept without quarantine travellers from country B where people are being given a different vaccine?
I hadn't considered that. In order to travel around the new world, we shall need to have not one dodgy vaccination but several. We already know that the drug companies which produce them are to be given immunity against claims relating to any regrettable side effects.

No wonder they, and the menagerie of politicians and scientists they have purchased, are getting so excited.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:14 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:16 pm
We already know that the drug companies which produce them are to be given immunity against claims relating to any regrettable side effects.

No wonder they, and the menagerie of politicians and scientists they have purchased, are getting so excited.
Is it possible to cite your sources for this statement please.? I am aware that full immunity is common in the US and there is legislation to this effect, but my internet searches have suggested the extent of immunity in other cases may be dependent on the price negotiated for the vaccine, so the EU is believed to have deals which give different protection to different suppliers.