FIDE Senior Championships 2019

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Tim Harding

FIDE Senior Championships 2019

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:15 pm

It's time to start a new thread for the four FIDE Senior Championships in 2019 (two global, two European).
All four are announced in two age groups, 50+ and 65+ (based on a qualifying date 31 December 2019) so if your relevant birthday falls in 2019 it doesn't matter if you have actually reached it when the events are played.

First up, just before Easter, is the EU Individual on the Greek island of Rhodes (simultaneously with FIDE's amateur championship).

This will be immediately followed (second half of April) by the World Teams at the same venue, with ACO's rival version of the amateurs (in different rating groups) at a nearby hotel also on Rhodes.

As all these four events had originally been announced for different Greek venues, perhaps this is a sign of a rapprochement between FIDE and ACO?

For details of the FIDE events see my Seniors calendar at http://www.chessmail.com/seniors/Seniors-calendar.html where the PDF regulations of the FIDE events can be downloaded.
The closing dates are in late February. The FIDE events in Rhodes will be run by Nikos Kalesis who is a proven quality organiser of senior tournaments.

The European Senior Team Championships will be held in Croatia in September, rather than in March as originally scheduled; this may help to make it more popular.
There remains some confusion over the venue.
The calendar on the ECU website still says the tournament will be held at Sveti Martin na Muri, which is inland near the border with Slovenia, but the FIDE calendar says it will be on the island of Mali Losinj which would be a much more attractive venue (if maybe a little harder to reach). Clarification on this is badly needed.

Finally, the World Individual Senior Championships will as usual be held in November, at Oradea in Romania (province of Transylvania) just over the border from Hungary. A train from Budapest looks like the best way to get there (it's nearer than Bucharest).
The almost complete lack of Romanian presence at Bled last November (just one player of each gender) perhaps doesn't bode well for the standard of organisation to be expected?
It was also rumoured in Bled that the Senior Individual would be cut from 11 rounds to 9 but I don't know if that is official yet.

If anyone has better information I would be glad to hear it.

The relevant Seniors page on the ECF website is: https://www.englishchess.org.uk/Seniors ... ties-2019/
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Stewart Reuben

Re: FIDE Senior Championships 2019

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Tim has covered much of the material before. Also, what is below might not have been seen by all English players. There is also a form to be completed which is given on the ECF website.

Any replies should be sent both to [email protected] and Roger at [email protected]
The first deadline is 20 February.
I am recapping some of the regulations, particularly for the benefit of newcomers.
The eligibility rule is that you have to be 50 or 65 on or before 31 December 2019.

4-7 April ENGLISH SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP. St Johns Hotel, Solihull B91 1AT. A 6 round Swiss starting at 7.30pm, 2 rounds 5 and 6 and 1 round 7th at 2pm. Ed Goodwin [email protected]. It is known that there is an overlap with the ES Individual

5-15 April EUROPEAN SENIOR INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIP.
5-15 April EUROPEAN AMATEUR CHAMPIONSHIP.
15-25 April WORLD SENIOR TEAM CHESS CHAMPIONSHIP.
All three of these events are at the Olympia Palace Hotel, Rhodes. Play, in the first round of each of the first two. is 6 April and last 14th. In the WSTCC the first is 16 and last 24th. Thus there is no play 15 April.
This is a new initiative. The organisers hope some people will be attracted to the idea of needing only one flight and one hotel for two events. There is the new problem of 18 games in 19 days.
Play in each event is from 15.00 daily, except the last round 10.30 with the closing ceremony at 17.00.

For the WSTCC it is teams of four in fixed order, +1 optional reserve who, if in the team always plays board 4. Other than for the teams in contention for a prize, it is usually arranged so that one player gets 8 games and the other four 7 games each.
All players must be from the same federation, in this case, ENG. Apart from the top few teams, the strength in the 50+ is quite similar to that in the 65. Since the event is not in Germany, there will be fewer weak teams competing than in 2018.
Generally a playing strength of about 1800 or 155 is adequate to secure a respectable score.
The provisional list must be registered by 20 February 2019. However, changes can be made until the Technical Meeting 16 April 2019 at 13.00.
The rate of play is 90 minutes for 40 moves + 30 minutes for the rest of the game, + 30 seconds per move increment throughout. Score must be kept throughout. It is strongly recommended that anybody, unused to an increment, should get experience in advance. The default time is 30 minutes after the start of the game.

The fee is €75 for registration and transport to and from Rhodes report. The request must be submitted when registering. private transportation can be provided for other dates.
There is an additional FIDE fee of €25 per player.
The accommodation must be registered and booked at the Olympia Palace.
For 10 nights in a double room it is €665
For 10 nights in a single room it is €905. This includes full board, free WIFI and use of the hotel pools.
After 20 February, subject to availability, registration may be offered at an increased cost.
There is a discount of €100 for anybody who plays in the ESC or EAC and also the WSTCC.
The registrration must be made by 20 February through [email protected]
The final sum, as agreed with Dan must be done through bridgeoverseas.
Two excursions will be arranged.
This year we managed to field a women's team for the first time. I hope this will also be possible in 2019. Matters are by no means settled yet regarding the support for and composition of our two first teams.
If you want brdgeoverseas to take over your travel arrangements, please indicate this on the attached form
When putting in your initial entry, please make it clear whether you will definitely want to play, or whether matters are unclear.
Please indicate whether you will be accompanied and, if so, for which days.
The magic number, after which we can accommodate any number of players is 13 in each group. This year we had 41 players. But, even so, there was a last minute problem, as so many flights were cancelled or delayed.
If you are 65+, but willing to transfer to a 50+ team, please indicate this. That proved very helpful this year.
Please indicate whether you prefer to play in a four or five person team. This option cannot be guaranteed.
If you wish to play, please complete the attached form.

26 July - 4 August BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIPS. The Riviera International Centre in Torquay is our most successful venue.

17-26 September EUROPEAN SENIOR TEAM CHESS CHAMPIONSHPS . Croatia.
Further details will become available in due course. Some of the technical problems explained under the WSTCC will also apply. This event has not been very successful for the last few years, probably because it was scheduled too close to the WSTCC.

11-24 November. WORLD SENIOR INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Oradea, Romania. Further details will become available in due course.

Stewart Reuben ECF Manager of Senior Chess
Roger Scowen ECF Associate Manager of Senior Chess
Reply Reply All Forward

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Ireland will be sending 50+ and 65+ teams to Rhodes, but unfortunately I am unavailable to travel at those dates.

We are taking soundings about sending at least a 50+ team to the Europeans in September, but it would be helpful if the Croatians could clarify the venue and the terms and conditions.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:45 pm

The complexities of April in Rhodes has been quite enough for me so far, but a couple of people have said they want to play the ESTCC.
We have about 20 people lined up for the WSTCC so far in Rhodes. Some others are playing solely in the European Senior Individual. A couple of people are playing in both. I contemplated playing in the European amateur + the WSTCC, but have decided against that.
I played a 2400+ female international master today as a filler. i came to a dead equal position and then blundered and lost, although it was a nice combination. Really, she was above my pay grade. Two strong GMs, one of them Nigel Short, said they observed me asleep at the board at one point. I was totally unaware of this. Hjartasson said he thought I stood better.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:18 pm

PEOPLE PLAYING IN RHODES

I have UPDATED this information 18 February. A private donor, the ECF and the Friends of Chess are enabling us to send a strong 50+ first team to the WSTCC. In addition we have a strong 65+ team.

There are four senior events taking place in Rhodes in April. In addition there is the European Amateur Championship in certain rating bands. Quite a large number of English people have entered, but it is not too late to do so. Indeed we need extra players in the WSTCC. Anybody who will be at least 50 by 31 December is entitled to play. Full details are displayed on the ECF website. The players are listed in alphabetical order in their appropriate event and age group. Some are playing in both the ESCC and the WSTCC as marked with an *. Currently no English player has entered the EAC.

European Senior Chess Championship ESCC 5-15 April
World Senior Team Chess Championship WSTCC 15-25 April

Last name First name Event Age group Comments
Arkell Keith ESCC 50+ GM*
Chapman Terry ESCC 50+ FM
Cusick Peter ESCC 50+
Gemmell Peter ESCC 50+
Lewis Andrew ESCC 50+ FM*
Winter Kevin ESCC 50+ *

Farrand Julian ESCC 65+
Gayson Peter ESCC 65+
Hewson Brian ESCC 65+ *
Jackson Oliver ESCC 65+
Stebbings Anthony ESCC 65+ FM*

Arkell Keith WSTCC 50+ GM*
Cross Ian WSTCC 50+
Emms John WSTCC 50+ GM
Fegan Chris WSTCC 50+
Fraser-Mitchell Jeremy WSTCC 50+
Frostick Clive WSTCC 50+
Frostick Helen WSTCC 50+
Jackson Sheila WSTCC 50+ WGM
Homer Stephen WSTCC 50+
Lewis Andrew WSTCC 50+ FM*
Plaskett James WSTCC 50+ GM
Speelman Jon WSTCC 50+ GM
Thurstan Tim WSTCC 50+
Ward Chris WSTCC 50+ GM
White Nigel WSTCC 50+
Winter Kevin WSTCC 50+ *

Baruch Andy WSTCC 65+
Bellin Robert WSTCC 65+ IM
Bray David WSTCC 65+
Hewson Brian WSTCC 65+ *
James Geoff WSTCC 65+ CM
MacKay Ian WSTCC 65+
Page Mark WSTCC 65+
Povah Nigel WSTCC 65+ IM
Quinn John WSTCC 65+ *
Reuben Stewart WSTCC 65+ CM
Snape Ian WSTCC 65+
Stebbings Anthony WSTCC 65+ FM*
Stokes Michael WSTCC 65+
Thynne Trefor WSTCC 65+
Valentine Brian WSTCC 65+
There are a number of other players who may take part and it is not too late to enter.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Imagine there might be something of a story behind Sturua’s 19th move today (if chess 24 is to be believed...)

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:10 pm

At this moment England's Terry Chapman is close to becoming the clear leader with 4/4 in the European 50+ Championship. He is a pawn up and about to win a second in a Q+B v Q+N ending against the No2 seed Henrik Danielsen.
The No1 seed Zurab Sturura has already drawn and is on 3.5, so may well be next up for Terry. Keith Arkell lost in round 4 and is 1.5 points down.
Big result for Terry if he can make it.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:59 pm

I write my report on the European Senior Chess Championship on the ECF website. But it does not appear until the following morning.

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 am

The ECF site is awful these days. Hard to find anything anywhere. Eg, not that it means anything, but I challenge anyone to find the latest Grand Prix leaderboards in less than 15 minutes.

And yes I lost today - my first loss in anything since losing in round 7 to the eventual winner of the London Classic 4 months ago.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:49 am

I'm sure you'll bounce back Keith; good luck to all the English players
Any postings on here represent my personal views

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:21 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 am
The ECF site is awful these days. Hard to find anything anywhere. Eg, not that it means anything, but I challenge anyone to find the latest Grand Prix leaderboards in less than 15 minutes.
I managed it in 2 - 3 minutes, discovering that you are currently in second place.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am

Keith Arkell wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:09 am
Bring it on! Five seconds. From the front page scroll down to "Competitions", click on "ECF Grand Prix", scroll down to "Grand Prix Leader Boards as at 29/03/2019 – click here" and Bob's your Auntie.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 am

David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am
From the front page scroll down to "Competitions", click on "ECF Grand Prix", scroll down to "Grand Prix Leader Boards as at 29/03/2019 – click here"
There's also a Grand Prix to establish qualifiers for the 2019 or possibly 2020 British Championship. A list did eventually appear for 2017-2018, but if there's been a 2018-2019 list, I cannot recall seeing it.

David Gilbert

Post by David Gilbert » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:10 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 am
David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:51 am
From the front page scroll down to "Competitions", click on "ECF Grand Prix", scroll down to "Grand Prix Leader Boards as at 29/03/2019 – click here"
There's also a Grand Prix to establish qualifiers for the 2019 or possibly 2020 British Championship. A list did eventually appear for 2017-2018, but if there's been a 2018-2019 list, I cannot recall seeing it.
Is this it? https://www.britishchesschampionships.c ... s-2019.pdf Not many qualifiers then!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:27 am

David Gilbert wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:10 am

Is this it?
That's mostly the list of qualifiers by title, rating and performances in last year's events.

The "Grand Prix" list won't be finalised until July which is a bit late for 2019. I think the ECF needs to rethink this method of qualification, but that doesn't seem likely to happen.

Unless there's yet to be announced sponsorship, the British Championship is heading for financial trouble since all those who used to finance the Championship by their entry fees are no longer eligible.