Senior Tournaments in 2021

Information and discussion on all matters relating to Seniors Chess.
Tim Harding

Re: Senior Tournaments in 2021

Post by Tim Harding » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:55 pm

I don't think FIDE could reasonably offer World Championship events in a year when intercontinental travel is highly problematic and players from some countries who might normally support the individual event at least just can't (e.g., Australia).
Making sure the European events happen is a win for the ECU, I think.

You could consider entering the Bad Neuenahr event in October as an alternative to ACO. It's a nice place and easy to get to.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:01 pm

With reference to the final sentence in my previous posting, the Bad Neuenahr senior congress has now been cancelled.
This was due not to Covid but to the recent catastrophic flooding in that region, with over 100 fatalities and much physical damage.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:20 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:55 pm
I don't think FIDE could reasonably offer World Championship events in a year when intercontinental travel is highly problematic and players from some countries who might normally support the individual event at least just can't (e.g., Australia).
If you're waiting for Australia to rejoin the planet, I'd give it until 2025. They seem perfectly happy to have returned to the days before Captain Cook, as a suspected large landmass off the edge of the map.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.