Ray Bradbury (1920-2012)

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Andrew Farthing

Ray Bradbury (1920-2012)

Post by Andrew Farthing » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:46 am

The death has been announced this morning of the American writer, Ray Bradbury, at the age of 91.

I came across Bradbury's stories in my early teens and have been reading and re-reading him ever since. In a sense, re-reading was unnecessary, because the words and images stayed with me from the first, but there is a sumptuousness to his language which makes repeated readings a joy. Many books are gone from the mind the moment one reads the last word, but Bradbury's are genuinely haunting. Just writing this, images from so many different stories are coming back to me.

No chess connection at all that I can recall - just the fact that this particular chess enthusiast wanted to mark the passing of a wonderful writer.

Mike Truran

Re: Ray Bradbury (1920-2012)

Post by Mike Truran » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 am

Agreed. Ray Bradbury was one of the finest writers I have ever come across.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:46 am

"Every time you take a step, even when you don't want to... When it hurts... or even if it means death... that's good. Anything that moves ahead, wins. No chess game was ever won by the player who sat for a lifetime thinking over his next move. (Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury)
B.C., matches could be won by procrastinating - "the present game lasted above 20 hours! (I) preferred resigning the contest, although two games ahead, to undergoing the torture of another game." (Staunton on playing Elijah Williams)

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:04 pm

There was a reference a couple of months in another thread to a Ray Bradbury story. I append again the piece concerned:-

A Sound of Thunder- Ray Bradbury

http://www.lasalle.edu/~didio/courses/h ... hunder.htm

and I add one of my favourites :-

http://mikejmoran.typepad.com/files/ped ... bury-1.pdf