Peter Szabo

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Jon D'Souza-Eva

Peter Szabo

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 pm

Bad news can sometimes travel very slowly in the chess world - I've only just discovered that Peter Szabo of Metropolitan Chess Club died back in 2009.
http://www.metchess.org/index.php?optio ... cle&id=142

Scary to think that he was one of the youngest members of Metropolitan when, as part of Hackney Chess Club, I used to play against them twenty years ago.

Gordon Cadden

Re: Peter Szabo

Post by Gordon Cadden » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:48 pm

Good to see that Peter Szabo is remembered. He was a regular on the London weekend circuit, in particular, the Golders Green Rapidplay Events. Always polite and courteous, it was a pleasure to meet him across the board. It would be a nice idea if the Forum established a permanent Obituaries Section.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Gordon Cadden wrote:Good to see that Peter Szabo is remembered. He was a regular on the London weekend circuit, in particular, the Golders Green Rapidplay Events. Always polite and courteous, it was a pleasure to meet him across the board. It would be a nice idea if the Forum established a permanent Obituaries Section.
I remember Peter and played him a few times, though I didn't know him well. I was saddened to hear of his passing, but glad that those who knew him have remembered him (if you know what I mean). I agree that an obituaries section would be a good idea.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:49 am

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Bad news can sometimes travel very slowly in the chess world - I've only just discovered that Peter Szabo of Metropolitan Chess Club died back in 2009.
His death was reported in the January 2010 BCM.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:15 am

He once inflicted on me a painful loss that cost me the tournament. I remember clearly his friendly and courteous manner..

Jon D'Souza-Eva

Post by Jon D'Souza-Eva » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 am

Nick Burrows wrote:He once inflicted on me a painful loss that cost me the tournament. I remember clearly his friendly and courteous manner..
It's easy to be friendly and courteous to someone you've just beaten!

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:It's easy to be friendly and courteous to someone you've just beaten!
Peter was very affable and responsive when I was a club secretary. We shared a member who could never make up his mind which teams to play for. For years we would phone one another before the start of the season to sort it out.

Ironically, when somebody, not Peter, new joined us, he also took out a subscription with Metropolitan. He promptly played for both clubs in the same division! He played for us first, so we were not penalised. I wrote to the league secretary asking that leniency be shown, as it was a genuine blunder; however, the league official, rightly, was of the view that he should uphold the rules and be seen to be doing so.
Jon D'Souza-Eva wrote:Scary to think that he was one of the youngest members of Metropolitan when, as part of Hackney Chess Club, I used to play against them twenty years ago.
I have always considered Metropolitan to be a well run club. My impression is that the average age of the membership has fallen, at least relative to other London clubs.

Louise Sinclair

Post by Louise Sinclair » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:43 pm

I once trounced Peter when I sacc'd a piece and the exchange - he had few pieces developed and I tore open his king side. He never forgave me for this.
Louise
You might very well think that ; I couldn't possibly comment.
' you turn if you want. The lady's not for turning'

Simon Spivack

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Louise Sinclair wrote:I once trounced Peter when I sacc'd a piece and the exchange - he had few pieces developed and I tore open his king side. He never forgave me for this.
Louise
To err is human, to forgive divine. - Alexander Pope.