Page 1 of 3
IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2024 11:02 pm
by Harriet Hunt
With great sadness I have to share the news that my wonderful brother Adam died peacefully earlier today, after a 9 year battle with cancer. He was 44 years old.
As a family we are all devastated by his loss, especially his wife and their young son.
I will post a longer tribute to Adam’s playing achievements and teaching career in due course. In the meantime we would love to hear any memories of Adam that people wish to share, either publicly here or privately by messaging me.
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2024 11:15 pm
by Paul Cooksey
Sad news. My condolences.
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2024 11:48 pm
by C Robson
Thinking of you, his family and your family. It's such v sad news, I only met him a few times, he was such a lovely person, We are so sorry for your loss, Caroline and Dave
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 12:23 am
by IM Jack Rudd
RIP Adam. Played him a couple of times; most notably at a British Championship where I beat him with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e5!?
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 12:26 am
by Matt Mackenzie
Well that is absolutely no age, cancer is such a pitiless beast. RIP.
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 12:29 am
by Adam Ashton
Sad news indeed, my condolences to Harriet and the rest of his family.
Very talented player and genuinely nice person, I'm sure he will be greatly missed by a lot of people in English chess.
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 3:07 am
by kishanpattni
Adam was a joy to be around. Despite his health declining, he remained active. I last saw him commentating at the British. I’m sad that he will no longer be around. Condolences to his loved ones
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 7:30 am
by Andrew Martin
Very sad news. RIP Adam.
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 8:33 am
by Neill Cooper
So sorry to hear this. Adam did great things at Woodbridge School. RIP Adam.
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 8:37 am
by Ben Purton
Harriet, Laurence and family. So sorry for your loss and my deepest condolences.
Adam was a lovely human being, from teaching, commentating and playing he was very approachable. He will be missed by the chess community
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 8:38 am
by Nick Burrows
I'm so sorry to hear this. He was still corresponding with me to help his student play in the 4ncl just 4 weeks ago. I had no idea he was unwell. Rest in peace x
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 8:47 am
by SarahLongson
Adam was a lovely man who dedicated his life to helping children with their chess. We had a chat about him at the Terafinal, Blenheim palace this year when his dad visited and so many lovely stories from his students! He was so positive even when he was so ill. Love to all his family at this extremely difficult time. X
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 9:08 am
by Joseph Conlon
I'm so sorry to hear that Harriet. I have many wonderful memories of Adam from our times as junior chess contemporaries. I will gather these and send to you.
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 9:22 am
by Christopher Kreuzer
This is such sad news. I do not have many direct memories of Adam myself (these mainly centre around following his chess playing activities in around 2010), but it was clear in all he did (for children and in his commentating and elsewhere) that he gave great joy to others in their chess. My condolences to Harriet and to all his family. RIP.
Re: IM Adam Hunt 1980-2024
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2024 9:25 am
by Thomas Rendle
I'm sorry to hear that Harriet - it's terribly sad news. I enjoyed his fighting spirit when I played him, and more recently his commentary was always entertaining and instructive.
My thoughts are with you and his family and friends.