William (Bill) Breslin

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

William (Bill) Breslin

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:47 am

I am sorry to inform you that Bill Breslin of Gravesend Chess Club sadly passed away a few months ago.
Bill was a much loved and valued member of the club.
The club held a rapid play tournament on the 17th April and donations to the British Heart Foundation were collected and made in his name.
The Bill Breslin Rapidplay Memorial was jointly won by the Secretary, Dave Clear and Haider Khan.
RIP

Tim Harding

Re: William (Bill) Breslin

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:54 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 11:47 am
I am sorry to inform you that Bill Breslin of Gravesend Chess Club sadly passed away a few months ago.
The club held a rapid play tournament on the 17th April and donations to the British Heart Foundation were collected and made in his name.
The Bill Breslin Rapidplay Memorial was jointly won by the Secretary, Dave Clear and Haider Khan.
RIP
Very sorry to hear this, especially if he was the same William J. Breslin who played several times on Irish correspondence teams in the early Noughties?
Can someone please clarify?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:20 pm

If so, his OTB rating was strikingly low.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:32 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:20 pm
If so, his OTB rating was strikingly low.
That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't the same person.
Postal chess and OTB were quite different, and frankly you didn't have to be that strong to take a lower board on an Irish team in those days. But I see that the Breslin I know of got a draw with me in the Irish CC Championship once in the late 1980s.
Maybe somebody who actually knew the player in Gravesend can say whether he was Irish.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:02 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:54 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
RIP
Very sorry to hear this, especially if he was the same William J. Breslin who played several times on Irish correspondence teams in the early Noughties?
Hi Tim. There is a picture and a write up of Bill on the Gravesend Chess Club website and also the late John Fowers.
https://gravesendchessclub.wixsite.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:03 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:54 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
RIP
Hi Tim. There is a picture and a write up of Bill on the Gravesend Chess Club website and also the late John Fowers.
https://gravesendchessclub.wixsite.com
I'm struggling with the direct link to the Gravesend Chess Club website.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:48 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:03 pm
I'm struggling with the direct link to the Gravesend Chess Club website.
Try https://gravesendchessclub.wixsite.com/mysite