Sue Maroroa Jones

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
LawrenceCooper

Re: Sue Maroroa Jones

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 16, 2023 2:12 pm

A page has been set up where those that wish to can donate to help support her family: https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-the- ... nes-family

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Wed May 17, 2023 12:43 am

Another excellent tribute here.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri May 19, 2023 3:37 pm

I was so sorry to learn of the extremely untimely death of Sue Maroroa Jones at the early age of 32.
I didn't know her well, but it has been difficult times to meet people. She was a major part of our chess community.
My condolences to Gawain and his family and to her family in NZ.
I wish Gawain long life and the same to their children and her family.
(That is a Jewish expression).

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat May 20, 2023 4:26 pm

Funeral details:

Friday 26th May 2023

Service: 9:30 am followed by lunch reception.

The Old Rectory Handsworth, 402B Handsworth Road, Handsworth, Sheffield S13 9BZ

All family, friends and children open.

Please wear colour.

The service will also be broadcast online.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 0261538872

Owen Phillips

Post by Owen Phillips » Sun May 21, 2023 2:12 pm

Terrible thing-good luck and Courage Gawain!

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon May 22, 2023 8:07 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 4:26 pm
Funeral details:

Friday 26th May 2023

Service: 9:30 am followed by lunch reception.

The Old Rectory Handsworth, 402B Handsworth Road, Handsworth, Sheffield S13 9BZ

All family, friends and children open.

Please wear colour.

The service will also be broadcast online.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 0261538872
Service:

https://vimeo.com/event/3411936/8b8f0ae142

Burial:

https://vimeo.com/event/3411964/f5b9910427

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue May 23, 2023 6:45 am

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:44 am

It took a while, but it's been worth the wait. Wellington's main daily newspaper The Post has printed a well researched and illustrated obituary of Sue in its latest Saturday issue. I'd post a link to it, but unfortunately full-scale obituaries don't seem to be among the items they put up in their on-line editions. The printed version takes up half a broadsheet page, so will be difficult to scan properly (and hard to read), but I'll see what I can do.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:39 am

Well done John (I think I am right to say that you contacting them played its part in getting this produced and published). Would be good to see a scanned version at some point.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:52 am

Well here's the best I can do so far (Carl is going to hate me for uploading all this imagery). Maybe someone knows how to combine the two parts as a single picture file?
SMJOb Pt1.jpg
SMJOb Pt2.jpg
Christopher - you may be right about my role in getting this item printed. The paper phoned me shortly after I'd tipped them off and agreed it merited the full treatment, even on the sketchy information I was able to provide, so probably I was at least the first to have let them know. The result exceeded all my hopes and expectations. The Mon-Fri editions of The Post are tabloid, and any obits are usually shorter with b/w pictures, so this was something really special.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Neill Cooper

Post by Neill Cooper » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:35 pm

"Sue Yuchan Maroroa Jones: Chess champion died after 'complex' birth"
The BBC has reported the inquest into her death at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-68826692

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 pm

To bring out the key point, which the headline is misleading about, IMO, the cause of death was sepsis (a reaction by the body to infection).

In older texts sepsis is sometimes referred to as blood poisoning or septicaemia. This can happen after any surgery (in this case a Caesarean section).

The report also includes Gawain's tribute to Sue. Heartfelt thoughts to him and his family. :(

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:49 pm

Now that I've read the BBC report, what "jumps out at me" is that Sue was sent home only two days after a highly invasive procedure - leaving extensive internal as well as external wounds - following immediately on the sustained stress of a nine-month gestation. (As a comparison, Mrs C was in for a week after her own equally complex operation for endometrial cancer.) I can't help thinking someone made an unwise call there,though probably under unreasonable pressure to free up facilities and/or resources.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:11 pm

My mum had a significant operation last year and was sent home from hospital after a couple of days, *despite* being told beforehand that she would be in for longer. I think a principal reason for that, and lots of other similar instances, is the one that you concluded your post with.

And just occasionally, it goes horribly wrong.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)