Andy Southall

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
LawrenceCooper

Andy Southall

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:18 pm

Obituary on the Warley Quinborne Chess Club website: http://www.warleyquinborne.co.uk/

Simon Rogers

Re: Andy Southall

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:07 pm

Sad news about Andy.
I believe he reached a peak performance of 220 ECF and gained an IM norm.
RIP

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:05 pm

Does anyone know Andy Southall's birth year? I think it was 1957, from both the FIDE ratings website and the ECF grading record (both for Andrew C. Southall). And if anyone has details of his IM norm (e.g. tournament and year), that would be of interest as well.

From the Warley Quinborne obituary:
He was famous for his Morra Gambit. I believe he has been one of the most knowledgeable players in the world on this opening. It is a shame Andy never kept any of his games as I believe they would supply precious supplementary theory on this opening.
Hopefully some games can be found.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:17 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:05 pm
And if anyone has details of his IM norm (e.g. tournament and year), that would be of interest as well.
The FIDE website says he's unrated. I don't know how someone could get an IM norm without also getting a FIDE rating, so I'd question the accuracy of that statement.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:23 pm

Maybe the same way you get a FIDE database entry without a rating? I don't know.

Not listed here:

https://ratings.fide.com/title_norms.ph ... ountry=ENG

But even if that proves mythical, the other claim could be corroborated: "Among his scalps were often GMs and IMs". Some of those games must survive, even if they are draws rather than wins (I'd happily count a draw against an IM or GM as a 'scalp'!).

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:54 am

Thinks I've located a sizeable scalp here Chris

Mark Taimanov v Andy Southall, Birmingham 1989

0-1

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:36 pm

Doesn't say what event is was apart from "Birmingham" which could cover all sorts of things.

Still, the idea he never had a FIDE rating does stretch credulity a bit doesn't it.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:28 pm

He could have gotten an IM norm and then fallen off the bottom of the list while the floor was still 2200, I suppose.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:29 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:28 pm
He could have gotten an IM norm and then fallen off the bottom of the list while the floor was still 2200, I suppose.
The Olimpbase site http://www.olimpbase.org/index.php has scans of all the FIDE rating lists published in Informator up to 1991. BCM and Chess periodically published FIDE ratings of British players as well.

That said, you might expect someone with an IM Norm to have one or two games included in bulletins at the time and then being picked up by databases.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:40 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:54 am
Thinks I've located a sizeable scalp here Chris

Mark Taimanov v Andy Southall, Birmingham 1989

0-1
That's nice. Surely a simultaneous display?

Have tried to find records of Taimanov giving simuls in the UK in 1989.

Chessgames does have Taimanov playing in a number of tournaments in 1989, including the super-strong GMA Baleares Open (which appears to have also featured Samuel Reshevsky, though that looks a bit dodgy). But nothing in Birmingham.

Ah, here we go, it was probably a simul:

Chess - Volume 53 - Page 2 - 1988

"Brian Whitehouse reports on the visit of GM Mark Taimanov to the Birmingham League Club Warley Quinborne Left to right ... By way of a change , we decided not to arrange the usual simultaneous display ( he had in fact played several"

Southall is mentioned in the report, and the simul took place on Thursday 6 October 1988.

There was a Vittoria Closed event (6-17 November 1989) where Taimanov "dominated" to score 9.5/11 (organised, apparently by "Joe Grech junior and his father".

Details in BCM in an early 1990 issue. Also known as the "Malta International".

Maybe a kind soul with access to the 1989 CHESS issues could look up the cross-table?

[EDIT: On second thoughts, maybe this thread is best left at the point of celebrating the lovely win by Andy Southall against Taimanov. It is a nicely played game.]

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:28 pm

Reshevsky did play in that GMA event I think, IIRC practically every living GM did.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:06 am

There is no trace on the Olimpbase text lists of the FIDE ratings prior to 2002 of any rating for Andy Southall.

Though the FIDE rating page for him shows no rating, no individual calculations for his games and nothing on the 'Rating Progress Chart', there are 8 of his games on the database but these may only be rapidplay games (in any case, I believe 9 games are needed for a rating or did that change at some point?).

This is the statictics tab:

https://ratings.fide.com/profile/452831/statistics

The 'Total Games' pie-charts show 8 games, but the information there doesn't quite tally with the pie-charts for the rapid games (nothing showing for standard or blitz games). Maybe something missing in the underlying data.

For those interested in possible games (more likely to find them from fellow club members), the names of some of his 'rated' games (these count towards the ratings of others, I think) are:

Steven Briggs (win and a loss)
John E. Crump (win and a loss)
Marcus Walsh (one win)
Irvin Ortega (one loss)

First three above, all ENG. Irvin Ortega registered Phillipines (PHI).

Here is Irvin Ortega's result against Andy Southall:

https://ratings.fide.com/profile/520504 ... ent=452831

And against Jack Rudd:

https://ratings.fide.com/profile/520504 ... ent=405736

I am beginning to suspect that the FIDE statistics part of the rating website is, er, faulty?

I tried to look up his ECF grading history, but apparently the ECF grading history is no longer online prior to 2020.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:19 am

A win in a simul doesn't really count as a 'scalp', however pleasant it feels at the time.

I'm reminded of Karpov's quote that simuls never taught him anything. They are never more than a bit of fun really. I did draw with him in a simul, but I never make anything of it, because he simply blundered a pawn after positionally outplaying me.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:36 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:06 am

I tried to look up his ECF grading history, but apparently the ECF grading history is no longer online prior to 2020.
I think you must have been looking at the calculation details.

Try the "View OTB Results" button.

http://www.ecfrating.org.uk/v2/new/list ... de=104751G

That shows Birmingham, Wolverhampton and local club results. Nothing that would have been FIDE rated.

Irwib Ortega's ECF history also shows him playing in the same leagues as well as the 4NCL.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:32 pm

The only interaction I ever had with Andy was limited to say the least, I called him to see if he might be able to play a match in Birmingham and he simply said 'no' and slammed the phone down.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.