Iain Galloway

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Iain Galloway

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:14 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Iain Galloway passed away recently after a long illness.
Iain was a member of Shirley & Wythall Chess Club, Birmingham and was a regular member of the first team, for around twenty years.
He was originally from the Kentish part of the London conurbation and had then attended Manchester University, but had been in Birmingham since finishing his studies.
He will be greatly missed.
RIP

Alexis Harakis

Re: Iain Galloway

Post by Alexis Harakis » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:23 pm

I'm Very Sad to read this. Iain was a lovely guy. We went to Hayes Chess Club in the 80s (along with many others some who are pretty well known now). His Dad was a keen player too and took us for our first beer in the pub next door I remember. He got hit with a rare form of cancer in one of his eyes which Iain researched hard and fought off - it must have started more than 10years ago. Maybe it came back in the end. I saw him at the 4NCL only last year I think, so something of a shock - he was only early 50s far too young. I know he had a partner and at least one son.

In chess terms he was an aggressive, creative and dangerous player 21/2200 level at his best.

If anyone knows where we can send condolences, please let me know.

RIP X

Joey Stewart

Re: Iain Galloway

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:19 pm

Real shame about Ian, I played with him in the Warwickshire county team and every interaction I had he seemed like a nice guy and was quite encouraging towards the captain which is always well appreciated.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.