Robert Graham Taylor

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Robert Graham Taylor

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:01 pm

I am sorry to report the sudden passing on 10th April 2023 of Robert Graham Taylor.
Robert was a member of the Malpas Chess Club (Newport,Gwent).
He was the International Rating Officer for the Welsh Chess Union.
Funeral details to follow.
RIP

Pete Heaven

Re: Robert Graham Taylor

Post by Pete Heaven » Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:07 am

The above entry from Simon, which covers most of the Welsh Chess Union's tribute to Robert, sells his contribution woefully short. Across his half-century of service to Welsh chess, he will principally be remembered for the implementation of a live rating system which is still in place today. He wrote it for the Gwent region but soon rolled it out to the whole country. The look and feel has attracted some comments over the years but it does the job. All players, including many ex-pats, have up to date ratings which are rarely more than a few days out of date and which include all their games no matter where they were played. This was implemented in 2007. I don't know of anywhere else having such a system back then. Robert remained Rating Officer for his home region until his death. His workload over so many decades in the rating sphere was phenomenal.

As a player, he was rated over 2200 domestically in his heyday and represented Wales, at least in one match against England and probably on other occasions.

Finally, as International Rating Officer, he was extraordinarily efficient. There were countless occasions that he provided FIDE IDs for people wanting to enter their first event but either the player or the WCU had given him just a few hours' notice. He also worked through the night, on occasion, to meet FIDE cut-offs for events ending on the last day of a calendar month. I don't recall him failing in either scenario.

He will be a very hard act to follow.

Owen Phillips

Re: Robert Graham Taylor

Post by Owen Phillips » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:00 am

I was so sorry to hear this news! Robert was a thoroughly nice chap whom I had many close and exciting games with. Indeed the first time I beat him in an evening League game I thought -great now I have arrived!
He was indeed a strong player -and even only a few years ago won first prize and indeed his largest ever in an event abroad! He was notably keen at and very adapt at playing end games.

I and many other chess players will fondly remember Robert and the chess world has lost a first class and highly dedicated administrator. I entirely echo the comments made about Robert's enormous contribution in particular to advancing rating systems.

Robert was also a first class trainer-I particularly remember how quickly Phil Cunningham rose to International standard after his early tutelage and vast encouragement.

If the UK Chess World gave out honours -Robert would surely merit the highest for his over all contributions!

RIP Robert.

ATB Owen Phillips