Mark Whitehead RIP

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: Mark Whitehead RIP

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:17 pm

Played him once, at Blackpool.

Despite being lower graded (as it was still termed in those days) he easily countered my 2c3 Sicilian and drew comfortably.
Last edited by Matt Mackenzie on Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Dragoljub Sudar

Post by Dragoljub Sudar » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:19 pm

Really sad news.

I played in the same team as Mark during the 1984-85 season in Leicester. He and I enjoyed many a pint that season.

In September 2002 I was at the NEC watching Deep Purple and felt a tap on my shoulder. By pure coincidence Mark, who I hadn't seen since 1985, was in the seat behind me!

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:17 am

Very sorry to hear this, when I was playing congresses regularly I would basically bump into him at every one I attended. Don't think we ever played (I was never good enough to be in his section) but would often have a chat. 56, no age to go at all! RIP.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:33 am

Dragoljub Sudar wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:19 pm
In September 2002 I was at the NEC watching Deep Purple and felt a tap on my shoulder. By pure coincidence Mark, who I hadn't seen since 1985, was in the seat behind me!
I saw Deep Purple at Castle Donnington together with The Scorpions and Blackfoot having travelled there in a "Coke Bottle" mark three Cortina in purple metallic flake. This was in the early 1980s.

Persons at the front appeared to throw drinks (Lucozade?) in bottle back to persons behind them until I realised that the liquid was not terribly drinkable.

This kind of fluid is affectionately known as "Truckers Tizer".
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Jon Mahony

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:24 pm

Not to be crass, but do we have anything about Marks cause of death? Obviously 56 is no age. Mark was always "a big lad" and I guess this could have been a contributing factor.

I remember at one stage he lost an almost shocking amount of weight and was nearly unrecognisable - I suspect it was probably with the use of some fad diet, as it didn't stick and I remember been quite sad for him, as I saw him maybe once every 6 weeks at another congress, when he must have packed it in, and he'd put a bit more back on, until he was back to square 1.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:08 pm

Mark died of pneumonia and heart failure

Funeral: Thursday 9 February at 11:50 am at Rochdale Crematorium, Bury Rd, Rochdale OL11 4DG

followed by a wake at Wellfield Working Mens Club, 1 Prince St, Rochdale OL16 5LL
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:14 pm

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:22 am

A tribute has also been posted on the revamped Lancashire Chess Association website:
www.lancashirechess.uk

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm

This poem was part of the service today
Rest In Peace, Chess Master
by Mark Gregory

Here lies a man who loved the game,
Of knights and bishops, pawns and rooks,
He spent his days in quiet thought,
Wondering which piece should be took.

He played with passion, played with grace,
His mind was sharp, his strategy sound,
He battled on the chessboard’s face,
And never once let his focus drown.

In life, he found his greatest joy
In this game of queens and kings,
Now, as he rests beneath the soil,
We remember all of his wins.

So rest in peace, chess master,
Your love for the game will live on,
Forever etched in the hearts of all
Who knew and loved you for so long.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:06 pm

Mark Andrew Whitehead
6 August 1966 - 7 January 2023

A sunny day at Rochdale; Mark's coffin had a large SON in the wood on one side, and chess pieces on the other

We entered the Crematorium to Meat Loaf's I'd Do Anything For Love and left to Bat Out Of Hell

Mark's parents, sister, and 2 nieces were among family present; one of the nieces spoke about when Mark used to whirl round the two of them, upside down, before teaching them to head bang, and how devoted he was to his family

We also heard of his love of cooking; and of cats (Tigger was name checked); his work (often on nights) as an Industrial Chemist, and his love of heavy metal that took him all over the UK, to France, Germany and America, and his collection of well in excess of 100 band T-shirts, some of which were on show at the wake, together with framed photos including those posted upthread

There were many friends present from his work, from his local and of course many chess players; extracts were read from a letter from Bob Newton (who was present) to Mark's parents, talking of the 600+ lifts Mark gave Bob to chess, while discussing politics, Brexit, music, and only very occasionally chess

Armand Catz held himself together well during his speech (for which he had bought a Metallica T-shirt, and which he delivered with his black tie around his head like a kung-fu master :) ); where he talked of Mark being best man at Armand's wedding, and their friendship of over 30 years, and their journeys to club and county chess matches

There were a number of Manticores there, as well as Rochdale and Blue Club players, and some representatives from other clubs

It was a fitting service to celebrate Mark's life; for those of you who knew him but weren't able to be there, maybe just raise a glass (ideally a pint) while listening to some heavy metal, and remember how lucky we were to know Mark

Paul Ashton

Post by Paul Ashton » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:18 pm

A nice touch before the last round of the Minor at Blackpool yesterday was a round of applause in remembrance of Mark.