Professor David Jenkins (1934-2022)

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Professor David Jenkins (1934-2022)

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:30 am

I am sorry to inform you that the President of the Cornwall County Chess Association, David Jenkins, has died after a short illness.
After moving from London, David helped to start Calstock and Lerryn chess clubs.
David also played for Fiji in the Chess Olympiad as well as the Cornwall county teams.
He was able to write and publish a book about chess before he died.
There is a nice tribute by Jason Henderson on the Cornwall County Chess Association website:
https://www.cornwallchess.org.uk
RIP

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Professor David Jenkins (1934-2022)

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:50 pm

Sad news - I don't think I met him but his book "Spurious Games" is excellent.

ben.graff

Post by ben.graff » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:24 pm

I am very sorry to hear this news. I really enjoyed "Spurious Games." There are various positive reviews and observations, both in this place and elsewhere. I have no doubt the book will be remembered. It is certainly a worthy part of David's rich and varied legacy.

I can't claim to have known David well, but I did get to interview him (alongside Adam Raoof) for The Chess Circuit. David was terrific company. He was clearly very bright, had a stack of interesting stories and an infectious sense of enthusiasm. I am sure many people both learnt a lot from him, and enjoyed his company, over the years.

A life well lived.

https://chesscircuit.substack.com/p/spu ... tm_source=
Ben Graff
Author of 'Checkmate! Great Champions And Epic Matches From A Timeless Game' 'The Greenbecker Gambit' and 'Find Another Place'

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:05 pm

This is very sad news. I really enjoyed Spurious Moves (review here). From my very brief email interactions with him he seemed like a lovely guy as well as a brilliant writer.