Gordon Birch

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Gordon Birch

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:58 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Gordon Birch passed away Christmas 2021.
Gordon was a member of Camberley Chess Club for around 40 years. He joined the club in around 1982.
For four decades Gordon was an outstanding contributor to the club as a valuable member, team captain and Chairman for many years and always helping with arrangements and club night duties.
In 1985 he organised a simultaneous display at his home where IM Michael Basman played everyone. Gordon was the only player not to lose their game.
Outside chess, Gordon was an Emeritus Professor, Food & Nutritional Sciences at the University of Reading until he retired a number of years ago.
In the last 7 years Gordon played nearly 15,000 games online on chess.com, mostly Grob openings. He played 3,000 games in 2021 alone.
His passing was reported on 8th January 2022 on the Camberley Chess Club website in the News section. There is also a lengthy tribute along with a number of pictures.
https://camberleychess.co.uk
RIP

Kevin Thurlow

Re: Gordon Birch

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:53 pm

I am really sorry to hear this. I first played him in 1970, and then again in 1972 and 1973. But we always greeted each other at tournaments and matches. I joined Laboratory of the Government Chemist in 1975 to work in one of the Food Laboratories, we stayed in touch and he set up the respected journal "Food Chemistry" and became its first editor. Some time later he invited me to referee papers that were submitted to the journal, which I considered an honour.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4622002564

is another obituary for anyone interested in Food Chemistry. I had no idea he went surfing - that was a surprise.

He was always so pleasant, certainly one of the nicest people I have ever met. RIP