David Smith

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

David Smith

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:16 pm

I am sorry to inform you that David Smith passed away peacefully in hospital this morning, following a short illness.
David had been a member of Middlesbrough Chess Club and the Cleveland Chess Association for over 50 years.
His contribution to Middlesbrough Chess Club was considerable both in his official roles of Treasurer then Chairman.
RIP

Ernie Lazenby

Re: David Smith

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:31 am

David at his peak was a 200+ graded player (old ECF grades). In the 1950's he played for England as a boy then as a student. A gentleman and indeed very much a scholar who had many interests not least Jazz and local history. I played in the same team as him for a number of years.Very much a man of the old school who's passing was so sudden and unexpected. Although David retired from playing chess some years ago he maintained his interest by coaching players and giving talks. A sad loss.

Ernie Lazenby

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:33 am

This link takes you to a piece I did for Cleveland chess association hall of fame.
http://www.clevelandchessassociation.or ... _smith.htm

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:07 pm

The following announcement has been made on the Cleveland Chess Association website:
"David's funeral will take place on Monday 15th August at 2pm, in St.Bedes Chapel, Middlesbrough Crematorium.
A reception will be held after the service in the Masonic Hall, junction of Orchard Road, Roman Road, a 100 yards from Middlesbrough Chess Clubs' venue, to which everyone is invited."