Ken Allen

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Ken Allen

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:52 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Olton Chess Club member Ken Allen sadly passed away on Tuesday 5th July 2022.
He was 71 years old.
Ken had played for Olton Chess Club since the 2005-6 season, where he appeared in Birmingham League Division 4.
Previously, Ken had played for West Warwickshire club and later Solihull, when the two clubs merged.
Last season, Ken played in Division 2 and his grade was 1728.
There were occasional appearances in the Leamington and Worcester League teams over the years.
Ken's funeral is on Monday 25th July at 11.00am at Waseley Hill Crematorium, New Inns Lane, Rubery, B45 9TS. Followed by a gathering at The Hop Pole Inn, Friar Street, Droitwich, WE9 8ED.
RIP

James Coleman

Re: Ken Allen

Post by James Coleman » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:58 pm

I’m really sad to see this news. Ken was one of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. He would always give me lifts to and from matches in the late 80’s early 90’s when I was a junior playing for Solihull, and he briefly worked at Alderbrook senior school which I attended, where he helped to get a chess club up and running (which sadly didn’t last).

Although not the strongest player, he was a cheerful organiser and team captain and I’m thankful for the help he gave me years ago. RIP