Brian Eley

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
MJMcCready

Re: Brian Eley

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:40 pm

Speak to some of the victims. They are known still.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:42 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:40 pm
Speak
Who should
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:45 pm

Well that's a good question. I don't know but someone should. It's not exactly a favoured topic though, and at least one never has wanted to talk about it. I don't know what to say but somehow we have to move on from the whole episode.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:23 pm

Anyway I have received permission from the ECF to quote Julian's letters so I publish the entire correspondence below. (Obviously my side of it has already appeared.)

1. Email from me to Julian Clissold, 13 July. (Header: Brian Eley.)
Dear Julian

Sorry to bother you, but there is a course of action I would like the ECF to consider taking.

As you are no doubt aware, Brian Eley, the 1972 British champion, died recently. You will also be aware that a considerable number of allegations were made against him regarding offences against younger people and that he fled the country thirty years ago as a result and did not return. As he was never obliged to face a court to answer those charges, his death left his accusers, and perhaps English chess generally, in a very unsatisfactory situation, especially as some of the accusers had complained about him to the then BCF some years prior to his flight.

What I want to propose is that the ECF carry out a review of their actions in relation to Eley and that they invite submissions to that review from any interested parties. Such a review would presumably involve, among other things, an examination of any reports, letters, or other documents relating to Eley held by the ECF, as well as any actions taken by the organisation at the time.

I appreciate that the ECF's resources are limited and that these events took place a long time ago, but of course Eley's death meant that issues were left outstanding: people who were affected by his alleged actions have had no opportunity to see the matter resolved. Moreover, because a number of people have said that complaints to the BCF were seemingly not acted on, this is an apparent stain on the organisation's reputation which needs to be addressed and the truth established - both because the individuals involved are entitled to know what was and was not done and because the ECF's members are entitled to see it do the right thing.

I hope you will give this proposal serious consideration. If you are not the right person to whom it should be addressed, please accept my apologies and pass it to the correct party. It may in any event be shown to anybody you may see fit. (I should perhaps add that I was not myself personally involved or affected in any way.)

Yours sincerely

Justin Horton
2. Email from Julian to myself, also 13 July.
Justin

Thank you for your email. I will discuss this matter with colleagues and then respond.

Yours

Julian clissold
NE ECF
3. Email from Julian to myself, 19 July. Copied to Mike Truran. (Header: Safeguarding Legacy Matters.)
Dear Justin

Thank you for your email. Having talked with a number of ECF colleagues, while we of course take the historical allegations against Brian Eley very seriously we do not as a volunteer organisation have the resources to carry out an internal investigation of the kind you suggest, nor the financial resources for an independent investigation. Moreover, almost all of the ECF’s historical records were disposed of many years ago by a previous Office manager (as I understand it without the approval of the then Board). In any event I’m not sure that such an investigation, even in the unlikely event that it could be carried out effectively (see above), would serve a particularly useful purpose thirty years on.

As for the present, the ECF has robust safeguarding procedures in place which are kept under regular review by the ECF’s safeguarding team such that should something similar occur now I’m confident that we have appropriate reporting and investigation mechanisms in place.

Kind regards

Julian
4. Email from myself to Julian, 26 July. Copied to Mike Truran.
Dear Julian

Thanks for this and apologies for the delay in replying. As you'll be aware there are a number of people who may consider themselves victims of Eley's alleged conduct and I wondered - since this leaves their situation somewhat unresolved - whether the ECF has any plans to invite them to contact you with any queries or statements they may have to make, or whether the ECF itself has considered making a public statement on the matter.

Thanks again

Justin
5. Email from Julian to myself, 31 July. Copied to Mike Truran and Robert Stern.
Justin

Thank you for your email. We are not intending to make a public statement but will, of course, respond to anyone who contacts us.

Julian

ECF
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:45 pm

"Moreover, almost all of the ECF’s historical records were disposed of many years ago by a previous Office manager (as I understand it without the approval of the then Board)."

I got that one right then.

"we do not as a volunteer organisation have the resources to carry out an internal investigation of the kind you suggest, nor the financial resources for an independent investigation. "

I do have some sympathy with that statement, but it could be interpreted in other ways.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:35 pm

We're never going to get any answers on this. Those people in the know (there must surely be some such) aren't saying anything.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:07 am

Well it's always been like that, in part because those 'tutored' under Eley don't like to talk about it. They could now if they wanted to but I think it will be swept under the carpet.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:50 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:07 am
Well it's always been like that, in part because those 'tutored' under Eley don't like to talk about it. They could now if they wanted to but I think it will be swept under the carpet.
Do we know if the Football Association resisted attempts to investigate Barry Bennell?

"A subsequent 2021 report into child sexual abuse in football between 1970 and 2005 found “significant institutional failings” on the part of the Football Association."

Did the FA attempt to sweep the matter under the carpet?

Apparently BB had 22 documented victims whereas according to HJP there were 44 of BRE.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:09 am

John Upham wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:50 am
Wikipedia
John Upham wrote:
Apparently BB had 22 documented victims whereas according to HJP there were 44 of BRE.
Is this a claim that has been made publicly
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:15 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:09 am
John Upham wrote:
Wikipedia
John Upham wrote:
Is this a claim that has been made publicly
I seem to recall Jim telling me this but I've not seen it published as yet. If anyone is likely to go to the media on this matter it might be HJP or Fiona Pitt-Kethley, Jim's wife.

If Panorama (or similar) was to investigate then it would be interesting to see what they would make of your correspondence with JC.
Last edited by John Upham on Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:19 am

John Upham wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:15 am
If Panorama (or similar) was to investigate
How likely is that do you think
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:29 am

John Upham wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:07 am
Do we know if the Football Association resisted attempts to investigate Barry Bennell?

"A subsequent 2021 report into child sexual abuse in football between 1970 and 2005 found “significant institutional failings” on the part of the Football Association."

Well, the problem is that prior to Saville's revalations, such crimes were going unpunished perhaps because they thought the cases were unwinnable or the reports being generated weren't extensive enough. From what I understand regarding Eley, we have 7 main victims (one is a member on this site) maybe it just wasn't enough to cross that threshold where it sounds believable or grossly indecent. I don't really remember much about that stuff pre-Saville but post-Saville something should be done because we don't want a repeat of it, and for all we know, that could be going on already, it's just we don't know yet.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:30 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:23 pm
3. Email from Julian to myself, 19 July. Copied to Mike Truran. (Header: Safeguarding Legacy Matters.)
Dear Justin

we do not as a volunteer organisation have the resources to carry out an internal investigation of the kind you suggest, nor the financial resources for an independent investigation.

Julian
The Board could say that it would cost £X to conduct an investigation which would have to be paid for by an increase in membership fees of £Y. What's the likelihood of Council agreeing to that?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:40 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:29 am
Well, the problem is that prior to Saville's revalations, such crimes were going unpunished
The "Savile revelations" came after his death
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:43 am

I've been reluctant to comment so far but I don't see any need for an enquiry. There would have been a strong case for one at the time but this has diminished over thirty years for two reasons.

a) Any recommendations to stop it happening again would be out of date and I suspect many (a proper system of logging complaints) would now already be in place.
b) A lot of people with first hand recollections of what happened (not the victims but those who might have had some awareness of what was going on) will have died.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own