Phil Walden

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
JustinHorton

Phil Walden

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:30 pm

I have just this minute learned that Phil - a strong player, and son of Brian Walden - has died suddenly.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Phil Walden

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:25 pm

Didn't know he had those politics, not like his dad then (in their later years especially)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:45 pm

I played him 35 years ago, but still recall we had a nice chat after the game. Sad news.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:40 pm

I played Brian Walden´s son at the Exeter Open of 1983 and spoke with him afterwards about his father.
I forget his first name but do recall that he was described in Keene´s book on the 1986 World Championship of saying that either Karpov or Kasparov´s king was "Cocking a snook".
I suppose this would have to be the very chap.

James Pratt

Post by James Pratt » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:29 pm

Phil played in the Woolacombe Congress run by the Hexagon in, I suppose, 1983. I read he became a philosopher; not sure quite if that's a job.

His dad, Brian, played in the 1951 qualification tournament to decide England's two representatives in the first World Junior eventually won by Ivkov. Walden senior finished 5th= with, amongst others, the great Norman Littlewood. I think Brian also made a speech at the second USSR-v-the Rest of the World Match in London.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:50 pm

Ah, so that was the very guy.
Any idea of the cause of this unexpected demise?
I was white in some sort of Benoni/Samisch Kings Indian. 8) He told me afterwards that his parents had separated long before. I knew a Bedfordian lady who was the mother of a classmate who told me she bumped into Phil Walden´s mother at something to do with her job in the Civil Service at a Midlands rendezvous.
Funny I never appreciated his dad was THAT strong a player.
I believe that, about twenty five years ago, I approached him as head of the Ten Alps company with a TV idea I had. Didn´t get anywhere. Geldof was another senior kind of cheese in Ten Alps, I believe...

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:55 am

Phil was at Exeter University in 1983 - maybe as a postgrad - and played in the same team as Ian Thompson and me, amongst others. He was a nice guy but I don't think I saw him after I graduated.

I remember the Exeter Open 1983 though. I didn't play, but a certain weekend congress aficionado of the time phoned my parents, found my address and turned up on the Friday afternoon looking for somewhere to stay, to the amusement of my flatmates as I wasn't in when he arrived.....

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:14 am

Simon Brown wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:55 am
Phil was at Exeter University in 1983 - maybe as a postgrad - and played in the same team as Ian Thompson and me, amongst others.
I finished at Exeter in 1982, so there was no overlap with me.

I played him in county matches in the 86/87 and 87/88 seasons. The latter game has the distinction of being the only game I've ever played where I don't know the result - an adjudication where my team captain repeatedly said he didn't know.

James Plaskett

Post by James Plaskett » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:13 pm

May well have been the Exeter Open of 1982 when I crashed at yours, Sñr Maron... as I recall you telling me that you had spoken with a certain Ian Thompson and asked who he would most dislike having to play and he supplied my name.
1st Rd: Thompson Vs Plaskett.

Seem to recall your folks and younger brother chez the Butts in Plymouth around then, also...with your dad recounting a game which had been published in CHESS from the last round of the 1975 Luton Weekend Open between Gerald Bennett and Michael Basman which Basman, deploying the "Basman Sicilian", won by having a bishop adjacent to a pawn on the 7th locking in Bennett´s rook.
Also in December 1975 I played your dad in a subsidiary event at Islington when I won as white in a Tarrasch French and quite early on he told you to "Buzz off".

Anyways, given your stated place to which you shall soon be spending your retirement our paths may yet be crossing again...