Boris Garanins

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Boris Garanins

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:51 pm

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you of the death of my friend and club teammate, Boris Garanins.
He died on 26th January 2022, after a short illness, at the age of just 58 in the Royal Preston Hospital.
Boris was born on 14th January 1964 in the Latvian part of the USSR.
He moved first to the Republic of Ireland (North West of Dublin), then to the UK and joined Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club approximately fifteen years ago.
He was also a member of the Lytham St.Annes Chess Club for a short time in 2016
He regularly played in congresses across the North of England including Blackpool, Leyland, Preston and Scarborough.
Words can't describe how upset me and club members are at this sudden and unexpected loss. Especially as I only played him a couple of months ago and he had no known health issues.
I will post a more lengthy tribute when I feel more comfortable.
His funeral will take place this Wednesday (9th February) 3.15pm at Preston Crematorium, Longridge Road, Preston, Lancashire, PR2 5BY.
RIP
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Simon Rogers

Re: Boris Garanins

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:07 pm

Me and Ken Gorman (Secretary of Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club) attended the funeral of Boris Garanins last Wednesday.
Boris's close friend and fellow Latvian at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club, Oleg Cukovs was also in attendance.
The rest of the congregation was close family and Latvian Russian friends.
It was a traditional Russian Orthodox funeral (Burial of the dead) which lasted an hour.
It was held by the Priest of the Church of St.Nicholas, Blackley, Manchester and a female Chanter.
The service was mostly in Russian.
After the service, me and Ken attended a gathering at The Plough Inn at Goosnargh.
There were exhanges of anecdotes, where a translator helped me and Ken.
It was interesting to hear stories of Boris's fishing exploits to the Lake District, Republic of Ireland and Latvia.
I have amended some details in the initial post above.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Boris Garanins

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:45 pm

Thank you for posting this follow-up, Simon. It sounds like the funeral brought people together to celebrate his life (sorry if this sounds trite) and exchange memories (from different areas of someone's life, as is often the case). It can be upsetting (as you said in your initial) post when someone passes away unexpectedly at an early age. It would be good to hear/read some of the chess memories relating to Boris (from you and your club mates) when the time is right. Do you have any of his games or other stories?