Mel Cooper

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Mel Cooper

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:48 pm

I am sorry to inform you that Mel Cooper formerly of Lichfield Chess Club has died at the age of 76, after a lengthy illness.
I have been informed that he passed away last Thursday (18th November), from a Lichfield Chess Club committee member.
Mel was Lichfield Chess Club's first webmaster along with being club auditor and treasurer for a while. His son-in-law designed an improved version which was further developed by former first-team player, Ian Kingston in 2016.
Mel played for Lichfield in the Birmingham League, Derbyshire League and the Wolverhampton League, his last grade was back in 2013. He played for Lichfield for many years and I believe he played me at the Blackpool Congress
Mel lived in Kings Bromley and was a former Bank Manager. He also had a passion for Bridge and was a member of Stafford and the Chasetown Bridge Clubs.
There is a lengthy tribute along with a picture of Mel on the Stafford Bridge Club website.
There is also a tribute on the Lichfield Chess Club website which I will bring up in the Links category.
RIP