Norman Thompson

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Simon Rogers

Norman Thompson

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:13 pm

It is with a great sadness that I have to inform you of the death of my friend Norman Thompson.
It was reported in the Blackpool Gazette on Thursday 23rd September 2021:
"Passed away peacefully on 13th September aged 89 at Blackpool Victoria Hospital. Beloved cousin of Kathleen and Christine and will be much missed by all the family. Private cremation to take place. "
Norman played for our neighbouring club, Bispham, in the Blackpool & Fylde Chess League.
He was club secretary for many years, until 2015 and his grade hovered between 50 and 70. His final grade being 66 in 2018.
There was an occasion when Bispham played Poulton-le-Fylde in a league match a few years ago at our previous venue at Booths.
Norman had been paired against Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club stalwart, Dave Hartley.
During the game Norman popped to the loo and while he was away, Dave reset the board and put away the pieces.
When Norman came back, he asked Dave why he had cleared up. Dave said to Norman " I thought you had resigned." Norman was in shock. The board was reset after the moves were replayed and the game restarted. Norman then won the game when a major piece down.
On another occasion they played each other, Norman fell asleep during the game and Dave had to wake him up to remind Norman it was his turn. Norman won that game aswell a few moves later.
Norman had a loud voice, but that was due to his hearing getting worse. I exchanged Christmas cards with him for many years and always said hello to Norman when he played for Bispham.
Just before the pandemic, Norman moved into a rest home in Blackpool and I lost contact with him.
He was a very pleasant gentleman and I will miss him terribly.
RIP