Anthony Guy Sperrin 11/1/1956 – 13/9/2021

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Kevin Thurlow

Anthony Guy Sperrin 11/1/1956 – 13/9/2021

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:23 pm

After a long illness, Tony Sperrin died peacefully at home surrounded by his family on Monday 13th September.

Tony was a fellow pupil at Reigate Grammar School and he joined Redhill Chess Club at about the same time as I did. He took an active role in the club and was a team captain for many years, and a very good one. He was always enthusiastic, reliable and helpful, and gave people lifts to matches and tried to keep all the players happy. He had to travel through work, and on one occasion the phone rang and he told me he was in Liverpool, so he might be a bit late for the match (he wasn't). How many people would drive from Liverpool to Surrey just to play a league match? (I never asked if he then drove back there that night...) His highest grade was about 170 and he was quite able to beat people who were supposed to be better. He introduced me to the Benko Gambit many years ago and we ended up playing it a lot, until people got used to it. About 15 years ago, another phone call, he said, "You don't sound too good, can I come over?" "Yes" He arrived and quickly called an ambulance. Unbeknownst to me, I had suffered a stroke and but for his prompt action, I might have had really serious problems. He gave up club chess a few years ago, but was eagerly playing online until recently.

We both played hockey at RGS and for the Old Reigatians, in both of which he was a leading player (unlike me). He also played Bridge.

He will be sadly missed by his family and friends.

Angus French

Re: Anthony Guy Sperrin 11/1/1956 – 13/9/2021

Post by Angus French » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:08 pm

I'm sorry to hear Tony has passed away. I remember him - as well as being a friendly chap - as a keen smoker of cigars.