Ron Stather- CCA President

Notices of deaths, death announcements and messages.
Ernie Lazenby

Ron Stather- CCA President

Post by Ernie Lazenby » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:46 pm

It is with very great sadness that I report the passing this morning of Ron Stather, current President of Cleveland Chess association. Ron and I have been friends, chess opponents and team mates going back to the very early 1970's. He started his chess career at Acklam Hall grammar School, Middlesbrough in the 1950's under the tutorage of Tom Wise. After leaving school he qualified as an accountant. He played chess for St peters chess club, Eston, Middlesbrough and then moved to Middlesbrough chess club for the rest of his very active chess career. Although he was diagnosed with terminal illness five years ago he continued to be an active player until early 2020 when he suffered a stroke.Ron and I, for a number of decades, played in the same all conquering Middlesbrough Rooks chess team. Watching Rons games and trying to understand what he was doing often left me dazed, brilliant piece sacrifices and all out attack were the hallmarks of his play. He either got it right or badly wrong and draw was a word he had removed from his dictionary many years ago. If he and I had to play each other in a county or club championship game I found the best way to keep him frustrated was to keep the game very quiet, boring where I like to think my end game technique would prevail as it did due to him getting frustrated. On the many times he beat me it was usually a thorough beating with brilliant combinations involving piece sacrifices. One of the best tactical attacking players I have ever seen in the local league.
Ron's contribution to chess in Cleveland has been immense, to the County as an official in a number of capacities and to his club. His over-riding motivation was always to get people playing chess and as much of it as they could and he would never turn down and opportunity for a game or two particularly if it was with a pint or two or three. A frequent visitor to Blackpool and Scarborough congress's where he liked nothing better after his over the board efforts to have an Indian curry washed down with a few drinks. A thoroughly decent family man with many interests. All of us in Cleveland chess will miss him.
RIP my old friend.

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Ron Stather- CCA President

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:06 pm

That is sad news. A lovely tribute from Ernie. Are examples of his games available (e.g. the piece sacrifices as a hallmark of his play)?